• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WHS sanity Check

mobilecommand

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
67
HI all,

I have been going though the forms for weeks now trying to figure out the best setup for me.

I am looking to build a WHS for basically raw Storage, pc back up and media hosting.

I plan on keeping the server on most of the time so i want to keep the power consumption down as much as possible and since this will be sitting in my office i would like to try to keep it quiet .. Heat wise well we cannot have everything lol.

My thoughts: i don't need the server to be a speed demon since its basically going to be a file server and i have other servers/pc's for ripping and encoding. I will initially start off with 12 1 TB drives and add more as needed. I am favoring WHS file/folder redundancy over hardware raid atm.

Here is a list of the parts i think i am going to get.

Motherboard: GA-MA785G-UD3H AM3
cpu: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz
memory: F2-6400CL5D-2GBN
case: NORCO RPC-4020
drive: any green drive
controllers x2: AOC-SASLP-MV8
power supply: Corsair 650w or better
cables x2: CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M
fans x8: panaflo 80mm
dvd: DS-8A3S-01
Software: WHS

I think that's about it.. if you have any feedback or recommendations please let me know.. I figure i will pull the trigger on this in the next 2 weeks or less.

Oh yea as far as end points if it matters i have 2 xbox's, a ps3 and a dedicated win7 MC pc. I am also not opposed to getting popcorn hours or other devices if i find its to much of a hassle to get the video working on the consoles. As if right now between tversity, playon, etc the consoles work fine for what they need to do.

Thanks
 
The sole thought I have is that you may want to at least think about 2TB drives instead. It will lower your chance of having a drive fail, and lower idle power consumption. Plus, you may be able to hook up 6 drives via internal SATA headers and therefore not need to buy the SM card.

Finally, consider getting an Intel based NIC. This isn't necessary, but I've become a huge fan after using Realtek's.
 
Well first off

6x 2TB will prob cost about the same as 12x 1tb drives but will use half as much electricity and create half as much heat.
Also you would only need one SASLP, so it also saves you money.

BTW if you are looking for a great deal on 2TB or a SASLP hit me up.
Im redoing my entire setup and have all of it FS.
 
good though on the 2tb drives, to bad i already have 8x 1tb drives, had a few of them sitting around in other systems and was going to consolidate them in the new WHS..

any new drive i buy now will be 2tb size..

Pm me up let me know what you are selling the controller for.

Thanks
 
Hello,

so i changed the hardware around a few times and i think i got everything sorted out..

here is my last final build i hope.

Motherboard: GA-MA790GPT-UD3H
cpu: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz
memory: W3X4G1333C9A - 4 gig corsair
case: NORCO RPC-4220
controller: AOC-SASLP-MV8
controller: AOC-SASLP-MV8
power supply: Corsair 650w or better
cables: sff-8087 to sff-8087 sas to sas cable from controller to backplane
cables: sff-8087 to sff-8087
cables: sff-8087 to sff-8087
cables: sff-8087 to sff-8087
cables: CBL-SFF8087OCR-10M reverse breakout calbe MB to sas backplane
fans: panaflo 80mm - replace rare fan
fans: panaflo 80mm
dvd: DS-8A3S-01
fans: SY1225SL12H 120mm fans for custom 120mm fan tray
fans: SY1225SL12H
fans: SY1225SL12H
nic: EXPI9301CT 1 gig intel 1x pcie
fan cage: custom from cavediver
HSF: likely a fanless hsf ninja, or a 92mm zalman.
 
I would urge you to at least consider the new i3-530. I bought one plus an intel motherboard this week for $200 (got Intel because I wanted an Intel NIC). It is pretty amazing.

A SSD 2x2GB DDR3 and 63w power draw from a 850w power supply (only one I had sitting around) so I'm pretty sure the efficiency is off the chart bad. My N330/ION system is about 40w idle for comparison with a right-sized power supply. Performance wise, the i3 is going to be quite a bit faster than the Athlon X2, especially if you ever do x264 encoding.

Just a thought.
 
Agreed. You mentioned media hosting on your list of wants. Might need a faster CPU for realtime transcoding to an Xbox 360 or PS3 (or encoding as the previous comment mentions).
 
Back
Top