• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

WHS or Linux

Wow, I ready through everything and honestly I'm still not 100% sure, though it doesn't give me a clearer idea about the pros of WHS. Thanks for the tips my friends.
 
If your hardware is compatible (check that out at http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/os/) OpenSolaris is the way to go! It's not quite point & klick, but there are lots of good howto-Sites around.

Some reasons why I wouldn't go with WHS, but Solaris:
- ZFS pooled storage design
--- raidz2/raidz3 using to or three parity disks, no write hole, hot spares and cache disks (ssd) can be added later
--- bootable server system snapshots
--- block based deduplication!
- Comstar iScsi Target (useful if there are Macs around - Time Machine!)

It gets a lot easier to use when using nexenta core or EON plus napp-it

Just one mans opinion
 
Back
Top