WHS not showing up on network

I have an HP homeserver that has always shown up as HPSERVER under the list of computers (I'm using Windows 7). I was always able to connect by typing in \\hpserver but now for some reason this doesn't work. I now have to type in the IP address to connect to the server. This is a pain because now the home server connector software doesn't allow me to schedule backups. The server now shows up under "Other devices" as HPSERVER along with my hdhomerun. Any ideas how I can get it to show up as a computer again?

Make sure that netbios over tcpip and universal plug & play are enabled in the network connection settings and given a firewall exception for both client & server. Also ensure that the network browser service is enabled on all computers. Check error logs for problems related to network browser service.

Ok, did a bit more searching. I have another computer which is able to see the server perfectly and I can connect to it via \\hpserver just fine and dandy. This is a problem related to my laptop. The laptop can see the other computer fine, but I need to connect via the ip to get to the server still. When I try to run the windows home server connector software, it's unable to see the server and the install fails. I don't know where to look to find out what's going on with the network browser service. Here's what I found in the logs:

Warning:
The browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\HPSERVER on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9B701CCE-8E00-493C-AEA8-36C3C07D61EA}.

Browser master: \\HPSERVER
Network: \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9B701CCE-8E00-493C-AEA8-36C3C07D61EA}

This event may be caused by a temporary loss of network connectivity. If this message appears again, verify that the server is still connected to the network. The return code is in the Data text box.

Also got this directly after:
Error:
The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9B701CCE-8E00-493C-AEA8-36C3C07D61EA}. The backup browser is stopping.

Any ideas?

Back