WHS Disk Behaving Odd

Phimp

Gawd
I have WHS installed on an AMD box on an IDE drive with six SATA drives in the storage pool.

Recently one of my 2TB drives failed but before it did, it showed up under Device Manager>Disks as simply "Hard Disk" instead of "WDC WD20EARS-XXXXXXX".

My replacement has been working wonderfully, but I noticed it now shows up only as "Hard Disk".

SATA mode in BIOS is set to IDE.

Western Digital's Data Lifeguard utility scanned it and the drive is ok, SMART status and everything work as normal and the utility also recognizes it's actual model #/name and serial number, etc.

I changed SATA mode in BIOS to AHCI and since WHS doesn't have amd ahci drivers, I installed AMD's AHCI drivers (which doesn't allow for SMART).

So now SMART is disabled in WHS, and Device Manager is now SUCCESSFULLY displaying the model number of the drive!
I figured, ok, I can live without SMART... everything is duplicated on my server and I'll just run WD's diagnostics on all drives every couple weeks.

BUT, now WHS Console displays the name of the drive differently than all the others by appending " SCSIDisk Device". Even though they are all using AHCI with the onboard six SATA ports... :confused:

Is this a disk isue? (two in a row)
Or is this maybe a faulty sata port?
And would you not recommend using WHS without SMART enabled on the storage pool disks?

whs_disk_1.jpg

whs_disk_3.jpg

Boot from a linux livecd/iso and use smartctl to look at the SMART.

Code:
smartctl --all /dev/sda

will should get the smart for the first disk in the system. /dev/sdb will be the second..

BUT, now WHS Console displays the name of the drive differently than all the others by appending " SCSIDisk Device". Even though they are all using AHCI with the onboard six SATA ports...

I would not suspect hardware failure from that. It looks like a bug in WHS to me.

Back