WHS backup and restore is useless

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Tried it twice on 2 different systems and the wizard could not find the WHS on either one. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either my network nor my WHS, both are functioning perfectly.

Both systems correctly identified and loaded the right NIC drivers and still no joy.

Dunno. I was swapping out HD's for SSD's. Ended up using Trueimage to get the job done but WHS bare metal restore should have worked.

ths whs boot disk for restores seems to have issues with lan dirvers, i did find a "repack" of it somewhere but i can't remember the name :rolleyes: it had most lan drivers etc and is reported to funktion much better.

ths whs boot disk for restores seems to have issues with lan dirvers, i did find a "repack" of it somewhere but i can't remember the name :rolleyes: it had most lan drivers etc and is reported to funktion much better.

This would be a good thing but MS should never have brought to market a product that flat out doesn't work.

look at your sentence and think about MS products over the last 20 years :D

PS found it, look for WHS X:\Files Edition, there is a repack of the windows PE image with additional drivers. and before anyone asks it is legal, its just a repack of the originals with added drivers addons etc. and will only install with an original WHS key

It does work.
What are your workstations using for DNS?
Was the workgroup modified?
Is the workstation 64 bit? If so, did you try the 64 bit drivers for the NIC via the USB key?

Obtain DNS automatically.

No modification to workgroup.

Yes, the workstation is 64bit and I did load the drivers via USB drive.

The workstation was functioning normally. it had full connectivity to the server. all i did was -

A manual backup.

Removed the HD and replaced it with a SSD

Ran the recovery CD

After I used Trueimage to clone the HD to the SSD, all was normal again.

The point is, if restore doesn't work as advertised with few or no glitches to deal with, the backup is totally useless.

Well I disagree with "totally useless"....I've used TrueImage well over a thousand times....as well as pretty much every other cloning software out there...Ghost probably near a thousand times, Paragon a few dozen times, and quite a few times with others. With the mix of various hardware out there..end users are sure to stumble across some combination of software which their product doesn't work well with.

Hell, just last week I had to clone an image from a clients Fujitsu laptop to a new hard drive...and trusty TrueImage didn't work, I had to go use P.I.N.G. Did I jump up and down ranting and raving that TrueImage was "totally useless"? The point is...."Nope".

Unknown NIC, we don't know the steps you did to attempt to install them.
And for DNS..still don't know the details...or if the DNS your workstation was using (router?) could find the WHS box...don't know the details here. How is your WHS setup regarding your router?

Well I disagree with "totally useless"....I've used TrueImage well over a thousand times....as well as pretty much every other cloning software out there...Ghost probably near a thousand times, Paragon a few dozen times, and quite a few times with others. With the mix of various hardware out there..end users are sure to stumble across some combination of software which their product doesn't work well with.

Hell, just last week I had to clone an image from a clients Fujitsu laptop to a new hard drive...and trusty TrueImage didn't work, I had to go use P.I.N.G. Did I jump up and down ranting and raving that TrueImage was "totally useless"? The point is...."Nope".

Unknown NIC, we don't know the steps you did to attempt to install them.
And for DNS..still don't know the details...or if the DNS your workstation was using (router?) could find the WHS box...don't know the details here. How is your WHS setup regarding your router?

I think you miss read what I posted. I wasn't dissing Trueimage, it's WHS Restore i'm having problems with. Trueimage succeeded where Restore failed.

I think you miss read what I posted. I wasn't dissing Trueimage, it's WHS Restore i'm having problems with. Trueimage succeeded where Restore failed.

Nope..I got your point, you missed mine....TI failed me last week..but...I'm not saying it's useless..I'm said there are situations where software sometimes doesn't work. Now...a basic drive cloning program, usually a limited set of factors to deal with. With WHS, you're adding networking to the mix. Name resolution, etc. Not knowing how your network is setup...who the heck knows.

Ive had success with WHS bare metal backups a few times now.

"I was swapping out HD's for SSD's" may have been the issue. I have never done that always spinners to spinners, so maybe theres some sort of bug there.

Or maybe like said, there was a network issue??

I know for a while there was a 73% ( i think thats the right number) problem with restores that was corrected.

My network is standard generic auto everything. No reason for the wizard not to see the WHS.

I agree the TI has it's faults but it does work most of the time. And when it doesn't it usually gives you a clue as to what went wrong.

"Cannot find your Windows Home Server" is unacceptable. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the network, the restore cd is where the problem lies.

I also had a problem a while back where the Restore CD would not run from a USB DVD drive. I've given up. No more WHS backups.

My whs didn't see my server the other day either. I typed it in though and it worked. It doesn't like my nic though. I tried all the drivers I have that pack even. I keep a 3com card to throw inand have a pen drive with the drivers for it. I still think whs works for me with these issues that I just work around.

Back