WHS as VM in Hyper-V/Server 2008

Jordan1

[H]ard|Gawd
I found a couple other posts that touched on the topic but wanted to get some more input. I have both Windows Home Server and Server 2008 ready to install for a home file (and possible web, at some point) server that I am still gathering parts for. I want to get familiar with Server 2008 but use the features of WHS, mainly Drive Extender. My question: would running WHS as a VM with Hyper-V inside Server 2008 cut out/disable any important features that WHS offers? Any disadvantages/problems that I would run into?

From what very little info I could find, it seems WHS works just fine in a virtual environment. I do not have any information about how Drive Extender works, so no idea if that will be affected.

Drive extender should work fine, as long as you keep adding virtual or real disks to WHS. I have run WHS through Workstation 6.5.1 for about 3/4 months now and I don't see any major hiccups.

I have a WHS running as a VM under 2008 hyper-v with no issues since Windows 2008 went to RTM. I have 4 drives direct mapped to the WHS VM. 2 1.5 TB drives and 2 1 TB drives, and I have 520 MB or RAM allocated to the VM.

All the drive migration and extension functions work without any issues. I just recently switched out a 1 TB drive for the second 1.5 TB drive.

I've also used it with VHD files with no issues. It started as a VM with 2 300 MB VHDs. Grown a bit since then...

who does the auto port forwarding do with VM? does it do the auto DNS server still and everything works well?

Thanks for the input. Looks like I will go for it when I get the rest of my parts later this week, unless I run across something makes me shy away from the idea.

who does the auto port forwarding do with VM? does it do the auto DNS server still and everything works well?

It should work just the same assuming you give the VM an external IP.
I havent tried it, but it *Should* work.

I just got my WHS VM up off the ground and for some reason I was unable to share the ethernet port I had connected to the network. The only thing that would get it online was the legacy connection, which is 100 Mb/s. I have an additional port on the motherboard that I could probably dedicate to WHS, but I would rather have gigabit functionality over one line right now... Anyone else run into this problem?

I just got my WHS VM up off the ground and for some reason I was unable to share the ethernet port I had connected to the network. The only thing that would get it online was the legacy connection, which is 100 Mb/s. I have an additional port on the motherboard that I could probably dedicate to WHS, but I would rather have gigabit functionality over one line right now... Anyone else run into this problem?

That's not good. Are you using Hyper-V or something else? I have a gigabit network and was looking forward to finally taking advantage of it.

hyper v on server 2008 R2... Its a Nvidia NIC, but that shouldnt be the problem... I am sure I just didn't dot a lower case j somewhere along the line.

Unfortunately I am stuck with the legacy NICs on my WHS and Xampp Dev VMs. I can't for the life of me get the right combination of settings to allow the Guest OS's to see the internet on the Virtual Network I created with a dedicated NIC attached. I tried to googleFu my way out of it but am drawing a blank.

Currently it really doesn't matter, as the current router isn't Gigabit, but eventually I will hook up my DIR-655...

I got my server up and running but there is an issue. After adding the Hyper-V role and restarting Windows will fail to boot. After a few "sliding green bars" it just freezes. I had to reinstall 2K8 a few times before figuring out what was causing it not to boot.

I've got CPU Virtualization enabled in the BIOS. Any ideas?

I seem to be getting blue screens currently, which are saying that hyper-v (2k8 r2) is the cause of. Is there another VM program that I could use on the 2008 server r2 platform?

The machine was rock solid without the Hyper-v role installed...

I've also been having some issues running whs under hyper-v in win2k8. WHS keeps stopping its backup services automatically. I understand that this sometimes happens if new updates aren't applied or if hard drive connections comes loose, but my whs is fully updated and no direct access hdd have problems. Everything is healthy.

If I try to shutdown and then reboot, I get a scsi controller error and whs cannot start. The only way I can get around this would be to reboot win2k8 entirely. Wonder if I should try removing all scsi controllers and adding the drives back.

Did you isntall the Hyper-V tools into your VM? Until you do that, you have to use the leagacy NIC as WHS/2k3 doesn't ship with the drivers to talk to the more advanced Hyper-V NIC like 2k8 and later MS products do...

Windows Home Server is neat in a way but it is also a bastardized and gimped version of Windows Server 2003 with a front end that looks like Windows 2008. Not a bad product but I would have thought that requiring legacy NIC drivers in the VM would have been a given.

In any case I'm not having any trouble with Hyper-V on my Server 2008 R2 RTM box. It works great.

hyper v on server 2008 R2... Its a Nvidia NIC, but that shouldnt be the problem... I am sure I just didn't dot a lower case j somewhere along the line.

I tried this a while ago when I was rebuilding my WHS box with a new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-M720-US3) and I couldn't for the life of me get the network drivers working with Hyper-V R2. In the end I got pissed off and rebuild it with WHS as normal however its still bugging me to return to the virtualised setup as that is what I truly wanted.

Anybody have experience with this? If not, I'll just go grab a couple of Intel PCI-E NICs (or the dual port NIC they have, hmmmm *yum yum*) and install that as I know its on the compatibility list.

I've got Intel NICs in my server box and I had to load "Legacy" drivers for my Windows XP virtual machines. It sounds to me like you just didn't have the networking configured right in Hyper-V.

I just got one of the Intel PCI-E nics to hopefully solve my hyper-v issues. It worked better and I no longer get disconnects during heavy network traffic but it does not work at giigabit speeds.

Back