WHS 2011 mobo

Cheatdeath

n00b
I am looking to build my home server with consumer non server grade hardware for windows home server 2011, I have everything I need atm but a mobo and cpu. Been eyeing the i3 2125 at micro center for $119. Looking to spend under 100 on the mobo. I plan to use the server to backup about 4 pc's and stream full 1080p hd video to my media center devices and I want it to do so with ease. Looking for some recommendations on the hardware before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

What ever it is make sure it has drivers for windows server 2008 R2 (I believe that is what WHS 2011 is built off of). I installed it on an x58 board with out problems but I couldn't find any drivers for the usb 3.0 ports.

If you dont plan on using a seperate network card get an Intel built H67 or Z68 with an onboard Intel nic. You'll be glad you did.

What ever it is make sure it has drivers for windows server 2008 R2 (I believe that is what WHS 2011 is built off of). I installed it on an x58 board with out problems but I couldn't find any drivers for the usb 3.0 ports.

I was under the thought windows 7 drivers works for WHS 2011

If you dont plan on using a seperate network card get an Intel built H67 or Z68 with an onboard Intel nic. You'll be glad you did.

Why h67 or z68, I assume any intel board uses intel nics. What are the benefits I will get from a newer gen board. If you have one to recommend that would be awesome.

Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121554

Any thoughts on this board? No idea what b65 is or if this will run WHS 2011 but it has 6 sata and usb 3.0 seems legit for what I need if it would work. Again if somebody that knows their stuff could step in and help me pick the best option for the money that would be great. I am no expert. I do agree using an intel nic is very important.

Thank you

I wouldn't go with the B65 as I don't think it gives you any RAID options.

I'd probably go with either of these options. Both are H67, but one is ATX while the other is mATX. You probably dont need the functions Z68 offers however H61 boards only have two ram slots and no RAID iirc. Also H67 will allow you to take advantage of the i3's integrated video where as a P67 board would not. With WHS you won't be going to the desktop 99.999% of the time, but it's nice to be able to when you need to.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121506
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121508

Also, I'd cheap out and put a Pentium G620 in my WHS, but that's just me. $100 for a 2125 is a good deal and decent choice as well.

however H61 boards only have two ram slots and no RAID iirc

Neither of these matter: WHS is restricted to 8 GB, and you should use something like Drivebender for RAID if you're not using a proper RAID card.

Does anybody have experience using the G620 for whs2011 I dont want to have issues streaming 1080p mkv blu ray rips. Other than the backup and storage that's all I plan to do with my server. I'm all for using that cheaper cpu if it can do the job without issue. Also does that b65 board support the intel cpu graphics?

I realise that you have probably built your system by now but I can confirm that my experience with the G620 CPU has been entirely positive.
Since June last year I have been running WHS2011 on an ASUS P68H67-M Pro mobo with the g620 and 4Gb Ram with no hardware issues.
When the disks are not running the rig is almost silent and everything runs nice and cool and economically.

Back