• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Who's work/school has the oldest computers?

dagas

Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
614
Is it just my workplace or is it common that they use old hardware?

We have AthlonXP "Thoroughbred" based computers at work, that's almost a decade old CPU :eek: Also the software we use is 16-bit (and looks like it was designed in 1992).
 
If the computer does the tasks its supposed to do, I don't think there is a point in upgrading.

I think my old High School still uses iMac's from 1998-1999 in a computer lab.
 
It does what it's supposed to do, but some days really slow which impacts work. We have our efficiency monitored through the program we use and when I'm constantly waiting for the computer it hurts my efficiency which I have to keep above a certain percentage. But this isn't the place to talk about such things, I was just interested in if it's common to have such old computers.

They are talking about switching to thin clients instead, anyone have experience with those? I've heard that the days when everyone in the tech business was praising the technology are long gone.
 
Yeah, my high school used thin clients.

The problem I have with thin clients (especially in high school) is that they are awful for multimedia applications. However the benefits include less risk of expensive equipment being vandalized/stolen, you can remotely login from home and still use apps from work, plus it can save a lot on power.

What kind of work do you normally do on your computers. For MS Word, the thin clients weren't bad. For powerpoint, and powerpoint presentations. Awful. Even a Pentium II (literally) was more capable than the thin client.
 
We have fairly new hardware, but the warehouse inventory system they use looks like it's programmed in Visual Basic. Most of the people (managers/supervisors and people who work in the warehouse) don't even know how to do most tasks on it.
 
I dont know what eecol electric uses for order computers, but they are still beige, and have two tone green screens.
 
Back
Top