Whos still gaming with old cards?

Why would they? Hardware sites are paid by manufacturers who want you to buy the shiny new stuff. It'd be as absurd as a car magazine reviewing a 3 year old model.

Why would they? Hardware sites are paid by manufacturers who want you to buy the shiny new stuff. It'd be as absurd as a car magazine reviewing a 3 year old model.

Think of it as the "long-term tests" that car magazines always do. You know, where they don't actually publish their review until they've had the car for like 2 years to test the reliability :p

I wish hardware sites would benchmark old cards when new games come out for those of us with old hardware. Not FX or 9000 series old thats just silly.

I used to really love it because Tom's Hardware would do VGA Chart roundups every 6 months or so. They would take cards from last generation and pit them against the latest and greatest.

Just one example:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vga-charts-vii,1070.html

Then they dropped the performance roundups for the interactive charts, which was a stupid move. Now they have an excuse to be lazy, so they don't re-run benchmarks when newer cards get added to the list. This means that driver improvements and game patch performance gains are not properly accounted for, and makes the charts less useful. Thanks Tom's for ruining something I used to look forward to.

That said, the charts are still ok if you stick with ONLY the newer games, because then you know they ran all those benchmarks at the same time :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/graphics-cards/3dmark06-v1-0-2-hdr-sm3-0-score,538.html

Reviewing a car when its a current or an old model would yield the same review: the roads arent changing. The benchmark stays the same. But reviewing old graphics cards when they were released and then again when tougher games are released would yield a new review. Its benchmark is constantly changing. Just sayin'.

As for manufacturers wanting me to buy new crap. they should want to show me that a new card is going to be worth upgrading from.

And I agree the Toms charts are pretty lame. I mean their cool if you wanna see how your new card handles Doom3 I guess. Or 3dmark. :rolleyes:

im using an x800xl right now :)

the old best bang for your buck card :D

hopefully in another month that'll be changed to a 4870x2 :)

I just bought an ATi Rage 128 Pro 32MB PCI vid card for $17 new, to go in my Win 98 game comp. Does that count? I've also got a GF5500 pci and a 7900gs agp still in use.

My computer has a 6800GT AGP paired with dual 2.8GHz Xeon for the CPU. Still works surprisingly well on recent games. I'm playing Mass Effect now at 1024x768 with the settings all on their highest.

Crysis ran ok at 800x600 with the settings on medium. It ran at 1280x1024 with the settings on high ... but it was quite the slide-show.

I'd laugh at him too... I had a 2MX, in 2000 or so.

Keeping old cards around to get maximum use out of them can be a good thing, but the 2 MX was never a good thing. You should take pity on your poor little bro and replace it with a $5 card.

My oldest card right now is the x1800 in my laptop, I was still using an x800 in my wife's system until a few weeks ago but I finally put that one out to pasture.

Hah. I would laugh to, but I run a geforce 4 mx420 pci, with no express! I'm jobless right now and had to revert back by digging for old parts. And it sucks even more now because with all this down time and can't play anymore AoC. :(

My X800 XL is still my primary gaming card... until UPS gets their stuff straight and my HD 4870 is delivered to my hands.

I think it was a 4meg s3 vid card >.> My 1st real vid card. Pci too >.>

Then managed to snag an original voodoo card (16 megs zomg!!! I think or was it 8 >.<) I won from a Quake tourney.

I do not recall my next card. I think it was a dual chip voodoo card >.< (Highschool years do that to a guy.)

Used to game on a GeForce 5900se 128meg agp card.

Then upgraded to a 8600gt on the cheap.

Then to a hd3870.

Then to my now current hd4850.

Still gaming on an old system here. Not ready to take the plunge for a new setup just yet. Maybe once my fiancee and I get into a new house after the first of the year.

Until then, I'm currently using:

P4 [email protected] (Phase change cooled)
Abit IC7
3gb Kingston HyperX PC4000
ATi X800XTPE 600/1250

If anyone says 8800gt or gts is an old card, they should be booted off this thread :)
tho i do notice a bit of lag playing r6vegas 2 @ 1680x1050. It's so minor though and not worth SLI or another $300 to "fix" ie upgrade.

i use the 9600pro for the occasional ea nhl game.
I use the 9800 pro for sports games also. it can handle doom 3 but i really haven't tried anything else.

7600gs agp

though i do have an 8800gt sitting here waiting for the rest of his team :)

7900GT here. I can play almost every Gametap title and I've been trying to catch up with some older games I never finished like KOTOR, Hitman: Blood Money, Ultimate Spiderman, Deus Ex, and Duke3D. I really want to upgrade and have almost pulled the trigger multiple times. Maybe soon...

I am still using a 7800 GT, and to this day it can play every game that I play. I will be upgrading in August though.

My GeForce 256 SDR kicks arse still in my PIII 600e OC'd to 900Mhz. I'm getting like 100 fps with Quake 3.

I'm using an ATi x800, it replaced my x700 pro that died, which replaced my original 9700 Pro that had a Zalman heatpipe cooling system...that also died due to a memory glitch and funky lines across the screen.

8800GT still.. man I need an upgrade.. I've almost had this thing a year... ;)

7900GTX. Not upgrading anytime soon. Heck, my CPU and the rest are like more than a year old (which is like 10 years in PC years)

7800GT here but, I got a GTX260 coming in the mail, I am excited!!! and before everyone blasts me about the 260...I'm gonna step-up to the 280 in the middle of September in time for Fallout 3, Warhead, and Far Cry 2. Can't wait to finally play some sweet games!

I have a 7800 gtx 256mb. It runs wow in 1920x1200, so that's all I need. A bit laggy during flight and in Shattrath with fps hitting the low teens. I will be upgrading soon though. This year even :)

Still happily gaming with my X1950XT 256mb. It and my 22" flat panel have served me well for the past couple of years. However, I have an economic stimulus check coming and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to buy a 4870 ;)

Back