Who's planning to buy Zen?

Straight up! Are you buying a Zen?

• Total voters
I do really have high hopes for Zen. It's about time i replace my 2670, the 2695v2 are still way too pricy and i don't want to spend on X99.

I will still keep my X5650, that system is still awesome enough, and i don't have plans to stop using it until Intel can fit 32 cores in 45w TDP or it breaks, whatever happens first.

For me to buy Zen, it would have to perform better than the 6700K @ a lower price than what I originally paid for the 6700K, which was $309.

I do really have high hopes for Zen. It's about time i replace my 2670, the 2695v2 are still way too pricy and i don't want to spend on X99.

Ahh but investing in X99 will pay off massively in a couple of years time when all those lovely Xeons filter into Ebay for peanuts. The extra $75 for going X99 will be a bargain.

I intend to unless it's a total flop. I'll of course wait for the reviews to come out before buying but if it's as good as what most of us expect as in not as good as Intel but close and priced competitively, I'll be in for one. AMD will always be my sentimental favorite and I'll always try a little harder to buy their CPU's.

Going to be some pretty exciting stuff going on in the next 6 months, that is for sure. Heck, even the FX 9590 is on sale for $159 but, as much fun as it would be to pick one up, I am going to wait until Zen is released. Besides, I have a 1500VA UPS connected to my computer that has an 850 Watt Power supply with an FX 8300 at 4.5 Ghz, Sapphire Fury Nitro + and Sapphire Fury Tri X. The most power draw I see is just over 700 Watts with games like Crysis 3, which push the computer.

I do not want to go any higher in power consumption and I prefer my machine being plugged into a UPS. (Would have to buy a much higher end UPS if I were too get a 1000 Watt or so power supply.)

If the 8 core Zen overclocks to levels where it beats or matches my 3770K @ 4,4 GHz in single threaded performance I'd be interested. Currently my biggest problem is the motherboard. It lacks moderns connectors (especially SATA 6Gb ports and obviously no M.2 slots).

I intend to unless it's a total flop. I'll of course wait for the reviews to come out before buying but if it's as good as what most of us expect as in not as good as Intel but close and priced competitively, I'll be in for one. AMD will always be my sentimental favorite and I'll always try a little harder to buy their CPU's.

same

The platform, stability, best memory and how fast Zen will go with faster memory or not besides what memory works well. There are a ton of questions that will need to be ironed out. Plus AMD has not done a complete platform shift for a long time meaning what kind of growing pains will be involved with AMD not used to all the feedback that will be blasting their way. Will be interesting and my prediction is it will not go as smooth as AMD likes, plus initial reviews may not reflect accurately the platform 1-3 months out. It does sound kinda fun though for the reviewers to tinker with.

Then all the motherboard makers may also have a number of issues to be ironed out, bios revisions and motherboard revisions to follow.

I'm going to hold off and see what Zen can do first.

I don't necessarily need a CPU upgrade since my current setup is getting the job done adequately, but my plan is to transition to a next gen GPU, then determine which CPU upgrade path gives the best bang for the buck (regardless of brand) when Zen has been out for around six months.

Reactions: noko
like this
Only if it offers substantial upgrade over my 4790k. If it's in Skylake levels, then I'll ignore it - same as I was going to ignore Kaby Lake. 5-6% more power does not warrant costs of upgrade.

If its 5960x or better (whatever the 8 core beast one was last year or two) and has good single thread, I'm in. Need more cores, more ram and a new platform more than outright speed, however it would help for 4k etc in future...

I'd consider it. My 3930k is still sufficient, but I wouldn't mind a nice fps boost if the performance is there. A healthy AMD is good for the industry.

I'd love to get one but I would need an itx mobo and it would have to be better than my 5820k while using less power and producing less heat at a similarly or competitive price range. I miss the good old athlon x2 days.

If it doesn't get delayed again and has good price/performance, sure. My PhenomII is getting very long in the tooth, but I want to wait and see how it performs before upgrading.

I am not expecting a nice fps boost from the 8C / 16T over the 3930k. I expect this to be more of a more energy efficient (CPU and chipset) sidegrade + ECC support on a new platform with less PCIe lanes. That is unless you can use the extra 4 threads.

Last edited:
Only if it offers substantial upgrade over my 4790k. If it's in Skylake levels, then I'll ignore it - same as I was going to ignore Kaby Lake. 5-6% more power does not warrant costs of upgrade.

According to the latest hear say it appears the men will be substantially faster than your 4790k. I hope it is for the sake of competition.

will be substantially faster than your 4790k.

It will not be faster per thread. I mean the 4790k has a higher IPC and clock speed than Zen. Unless the 40% IPC improvement that AMD stated was an underestimation. So unlikely be faster for most gaming until games effectively use more than 8 threads..

Last edited:
It will not be faster per thread. I mean the 4790k has a higher IPC and clock speed than Zen. Unless the 40% IPC improvement that AMD stated was an underestimation. So unlikely be faster for most gaming until games effectively use more than 8 threads..

Well, it depends. The demo AMD showed led me to believe that haswell-like IPC is not a far-flung expectation. It's possible that IPC will be up-there with modern CPUs.

According to the latest hear say it appears the men will be substantially faster than your 4790k. I hope it is for the sake of competition.
I do hope so too. I'd love to see more competition which will bring lower prices and faster CPUs. And if Zen breaks my expectations and be faster and cheaper I will be content. :)

Well, it depends. The demo AMD showed led me to believe that haswell-like IPC is not a far-flung expectation. It's possible that IPC will be up-there with modern CPUs.

Even if we pretend that, there is still a huge clock difference. 3.15Ghz base vs 4.2Ghz base, 3.5Ghz single core turbo vs 4.4Ghz single core turbo. So it would have to OC quite substantially. But the quad isn't clocked any better.

A 40% IPC improvement should have the IPC of Zen somewhere between Ivy Bridge and Haswell. However that paired with a lower clock speed will not make it substantially faster than an 4790k at most gaming until games make good use of the extra threads.

Last edited:
I feel like there is so much distaste for AMD that we are going to manifest this chip into oblivion before it is launched. We will just have to wait and see haha

However, the poll is interesting.

I know it'll be an upgrade over my 880K but.. it just depends on how much of an upgrade.

I'll sit patiently and wait for reviews.

A 40% IPC improvement should have the IPC of Zen somewhere between Ivy Bridge and Haswell. However that paired with a lower clock speed will not make it substantially faster than an 4790k at most gaming until games make good use of the extra threads.
It should do well against Sandy Bridge in single threaded performance :p.

i will buy a zen cpu for my son.

he needs his own computer.

and if it's faster than my 4790k then he can have that one instead

:D

I may change my plans on upgrading my linux based HTPC/ fileserver. I mean instead of waiting till 2018 for a Zen based APU I may look at a 4C/8T Zen or a 6C/12T Zen provided these support ECC. And in either case I have no doubt they will be significantly faster than the core2quad (possibly 10 year old) they will replace and at the same time these should be more energy efficient.

I'll have to look at overall platform cost vs performance to see whether or not it has value. Pretty sure my Mobo won't make it another year, something critical is going to fail, I am about out of non critical at this point. If AMD can make a case for it self in terms of performance for the cost, I'll consider it. No reason not to. May do it, just to force Intel to actually have something worth upgrading to again.

I will buy if the price is right and the performance is there over my 4790k. Will also look to upgrade my server from a 3770 to ZEN as well.

It seems like AMD is not being very forthcoming with information. They are waiting until the last possible minute to officially announce price and release dates. I wonder if they are hoping to have a couple good months of sales until Intel can respond with price drops (if Zen truly is going to be competitive).

I'm really hoping that Zen is competitive, but I've went ahead and got 2011-v3/4 components while they are fairly cheap so I can be ready when we see that flood of chips come in.

With the Kaby Lake leaks showing that its a huge DUD. This is AMD's chance to really hit the ground running. Will hey? Who knows, but they have a REALLY Good chance too.

So many people with high expectations on this one. The clock speed would tell most of the story if those are not released (Dec 13) then there is little hope it will do well for us consumers. Usually AMD will price the cpu with performance of competitor in mind. So if 8 core Zen is priced at 4 core Intel that says something about it. I can't imagine that AMD will flog their 8 cores so cheap and still perform as well as the 8 core Intel part.

If those stories about special binned parts is true it would mean that were not going to see a great jump in frequency beyond what people said about 3.2ghz base and 3.5ghz turbo and those special parts would do 4.2 ghz on air cooling?

i plan on buying one since i plan on doing a total system rehaul in feb/march. I am counting on amd to be gunning for bang for your buck.

With the Kaby Lake leaks showing that its a huge DUD. This is AMD's chance to really hit the ground running. Will hey? Who knows, but they have a REALLY Good chance too.

The premise of Zen relies on a good cpu that can do well but the key is in the next generations of Zen where they would have to improve and show they can keep up.

I'm gonna wait and see personally. My wife and I are thinking of upgrading our PCs Q1 2017 with our income tax refunds, and X99 is way too pricey for me personally without gimping PCI lanes via either a 5820K or a 6800K.

If Zen performs well in what I do (gaming/multimedia tasks), then I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'm going with Kaby Lake and the 7700K.

Back