Whos in the Radeon 5850 club?

I might make the jump from a GTX260 to a 5850...or put the GTX260 in my second slot and use some older drivers for PhysX + eyefinity action.

I'll be waiting for them to get closer to $200 though, and I really would like to see what Nvidia has up their sleeve first.

bloody hell are you blind?:rolleyes:

Ah, I see now. For some reason my computer didn't load the pictures on this page, but I should have checked more carefully. I re-loaded the page and now I see them. Sorry. ;)

Thanks for the graph, by the way.

5770 should be out in a month and be around 150

Yes but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little bit higher even. Anyone have estimates on its performance?

it will likely be price to fit well with 4870 and 4890 performance, as in no clear winner when you factor price and performance.

ME!

The HD5850 appears to be the real winner here at $260 MSRP.

Great performance and DX11 for our new windows 7 builds. Plus, the price will only get better over time.

Just bought the Diamond from ZZF, thanks for the heads up!

Also ordered 4GB of RAM to go with it. :D

techpowerup has a review on both cards reviewed but their numbers never look right to me so i dont think you should go by them.

An Update on the 5850 from ZZF.

I called their customer service line; The DIAMOND 5850 IS NOT IN STOCK. This is just a pre-order, the cards will not ship until the 29th.

The 5850 is shorter than the 5870, which is supposedly 10.5"

Currently debating between the 5850 and the 5870 for my first build. Was going for the 5850, but saw another mobo that would allow me to take the 5870 (at the cost of not being able to run crossfire), which would be overkill @ 1600x900, but I've been "gaming" on regular PCI for the last four years.. :(

HD5850, since I have a 23" TN and run at 1920x1080. An HD5850+Q9550 combo should let me run every game I play now and most games I'd likely play over the next year at the resolution of my desktop with nearly everything (if not everything) pegged settings-wise. There's also the fact that it's easier on the electric bill than darn near any HD48xx card, while being a much better performer.

I'm with most of the people here that'll look at the HD5850 because it's shorter, and I run a resolution that doesn't require top of the line hardware (1920*1080). Hopefully, it'll will fit in my antec solo (I may have to move my HDDs). I'm currently on a 4850 512MB and it chokes on a lot of my games at full res/full detail. The idle power consumption also seems nice. MSRP of 250 isn't that bad (I wanted 199 but I knew that wasn't going to happen).

I do want to wait on reviews and possible non-reference coolers to see if it has better temps/acoustics.

MSRP of 250 isn't that bad (I wanted 199 but I knew that wasn't going to happen).

just a guess, but I think that will be the msrp by christmas ($199, unless the new Nvidia cards are lower performance vs. comparable ATi cards). Maybe you could get one for $180 or less on sale/rebates. You should see non-reference coolers by then also.

I'm waffling between 5850 and 5770.

I'm at 1440x900 with no plans for bigger monitor so the 5770 is probably fine for me, plus it'll probably sip power in comparison.

I'm on the line about buying the 5850 the 5870 or just waiting until later. I'm pretty sure I could use some extra juice but I only game at 1680x1050 and don't care about AA, for now my 4850 seems to be doing it's job just fine so I'll probably just wait a few months until I get done with my older games.

I might make the jump from a GTX260 to a 5850...or put the GTX260 in my second slot and use some older drivers for PhysX + eyefinity action.

I'll be waiting for them to get closer to $200 though, and I really would like to see what Nvidia has up their sleeve first.
that wont do you any good to use old drivers for physx. I believe Batman requires the newer drivers not to mention any upcoming physx games will too.

I'm on the fence. It all depends whether nVidia's cards cause a drop in price or how much money I'm going to have over the next month. I'd really like the 5870, though.

I'm at 1440x900 with no plans for bigger monitor so the 5770 is probably fine for me, plus it'll probably sip power in comparison.

1440x900? Definitely no more than HD5850 (and you'll only need one). That is the really sick part; unless you have a display at the upper edge of resolution sanity, a single graphics card with a single GPU can actually be enough to play darn near anything as long as your CPU isn't a bottleneck (and if it's most quad-cores, the CPU usually won't be the bottleneck). Would anyone have thought that it's an AMD GPU with a sub-$300 list that would be enough for even the above-average gamer by now?

That's why I'm awaiting the first real HD5850 reviews.

what does the rest of your system look like? a 5850 will be a waste at that low of a res if the rest of your system isnt really good.

1440x900? Definitely no more than HD5850 (and you'll only need one). That is the really sick part; unless you have a display at the upper edge of resolution sanity, a single graphics card with a single GPU can actually be enough to play darn near anything as long as your CPU isn't a bottleneck (and if it's most quad-cores, the CPU usually won't be the bottleneck). Would anyone have thought that it's an AMD GPU with a sub-$300 list that would be enough for even the above-average gamer by now?

That's why I'm awaiting the first real HD5850 reviews.

I'm with you on this one, I'm just going to hold out until the non-reference cooled versions appear. I like the look of the Vapor-X 5870 photo that is floating around, I'm sure there will be a 5850 version too....

>1440x900? Definitely no more than HD5850 (and you'll only need one). <

Yup, that's why I'm on the fence with 5850 and 5770 (the Juniper, not the 5870) on which one to pick up. I'm looking forward to reviews of 5770 I think it'll be in a real sweet spot for most lower res gamers if it's performance does indeed fall somewhere between 4870 and 4890.

>what does the rest of your system look like? a 5850 will be a waste at that low of a res if the rest of your system isnt really good.<

Core 2 Duo E6600.

Well if you go strictly by the value chart everybody would still be running 9500GTs. So you do have to make a compromise on price to get the performance level that you want. But if you want DX11 on a 'relative' budget, right now 5850 is the best bet. If you want something cheaper, wait a month for the 5700 series.

I would avoid ordering any HD58*0 card from ZZF, aparently they were backordered, but didn't tell anyone until they called asking why their cards haven't shipped when they chose over-night shipping, lol. Like someone said in another thread, newegg = 1, zzf = 0. Not worth the hassle of dealing with ZZF when they pull crap like listing items they have on backorder.

Back