Who's getting sick of upgrading their video card?

Lsv said:
You guys are too caught up on eye candy. I've been playing pretty much just Quake3 CPMA for the past 6 years at this quality. And it's 10x more fun than any high eye candy game released with half assed expectations.

Wow... that looks worse than quake1. You do realize that you can increase the visual quality there and it would still be the same game right?

this sounds like that tv commercial with the 2 guys playing video games - "yes you too can do this for a living! just go to a1-ez-ok video game school and you can be one of the guys playing video games for a living and own many cars and have a girlfriend"

Nope, happly married for 4 years now. Just have no KIDS...

Been CSing for 6 years now. I get plenty of time off, 8 weeks a year. And work from home w/ video conferencing 3 hours week. I make my Boss look good, so he is real lenient about not coming to office but once every 2~3 weeks for face-to-face for about 30 minutes and lunch...

Your lifestyle scales to your income. Make more money and you won't mind buying new parts all the time.

Plus you're helping the economy!

Sable said:
You mean something like, say, DIRECTX 10?!??!?!? o_O

No reason to buy a card which can do DIRECT_X_10 until an actual game arrives which uses DIRECT_X_10.
;)

Lord of Shadows said:
Wow... that looks worse than quake1. You do realize that you can increase the visual quality there and it would still be the same game right?

But then it's harder to see people. If I wanted to hide behind shadow's I'd play BF2142, but then I'd have to worry about the guy with the ass computer that doesn't have any shadows. Or few trees, and then it makes me hiding worthless:(

Yeah I actually Downgraded LoL.

I paid 450 for a XFX 7900GTX 690mhz Extreme Edition
Had it for about 10 months. Sold it on ebay couple weeks ago for $530.00
LoL then bought a EVGA 7900GTO then OC'd it to 700mhz/1650

Now going to upgrade to 8800GTX and stick the old 7900GTO in my other computer that my cousin uses :)

NTJedi said:
No reason to buy a card which can do DIRECT_X_10 until an actual game arrives which uses DIRECT_X_10.
;)
Except that the DX10 cards run DX9 games faster. And except that foward-compatibility is always a welcome thing.

i think some of you need serious help

Starting 9 years ago: (computers i actually owned)

Rage 128 AIW -> TNT 32mb -> Ti4600 Ultra -> Radeon 9700 -> X800PRO (rma got XT) -> x1900XT

i like my progress. i go through phases, i want a good gaming rig, so i get one, sell it sometime after for a decent price, being in CR. then wont really care about gaming for sometime,a year or so, then maybe get another system.

My x1900 XT does me just fine, and that is at stock, so i have no intentions of upgrading, i tend to just sell an entire system off and buy new.

MrGuvernment said:
i think some of you need serious help.
I think anyone who labels those whose buying patterns don't match their own as needing "serious help" is themselves in need of help. :p

Let people spend their own money how they wish.

Luckily, I'm running short on cash and have no money with which to buy another video card. Prior to this autumn, I was averaging about 1 video card per year, which is a bit much when you're a college student. :p

Presently, I'm perfectly content with my eVGA 7800GT CO. I've had it for about a year now, added some aftermarket cooling (Accelero X1), and overclocked it a bit. Not looking to replace it until sometime next year / summer.

masher said:
Except that the DX10 cards run DX9 games faster. And except that foward-compatibility is always a welcome thing.

Sure it can run them faster, but it's wiser to save your money if your current games perform within your satisfaction.
Forward-compatibility is great, but waiting will supply a less expensive price and drivers which provide more stability and better performance.

NTJedi said:
Sure it can run them faster, but it's wiser to save your money if your current games perform within your satisfaction.
Forward-compatibility is great, but waiting will supply a less expensive price and drivers which provide more stability and better performance.
erm... how is this different than *every other* video card lauch?

Those who want bleeding edge will get bleeding edge and those content with what they have will stick with it. DX10 is not really part of your argument.

NTJedi said:
It's not... see you're catching on.
o_O Catching on? I fail to see what I'm "catching on" too. Perhaps if i had been arguing that these cards are wonderful and no one should be without one you would have a point, but I haven't. You pointed nothing out and gave me nothing to catch on too, quite frankly.

I hereby announce that I will upgrade to every new videocard that comes out :D :D J/K L.B. good luck on your decision but I suggest a G80 then the 2 year thingy. ;)

Zwitterion said:
Your lifestyle scales to your income. Make more money and you won't mind buying new parts all the time.

Wow, that's exactly what a parking attendant told me yesterday before taking the keys to my Porche.

All the guys that posted about buyiing high, and then selling before the prices drops to much are the smart ones.

So instead of paying $600 for that new highend card u will get it for half the price when u sell the old card, aslong as u didn't let the value drop to much. Anyone upgrading cards every 3-6 months has more money than brains plain and simple.

pcfan10110 said:
Some people are blessed. (Check sig)
Why are you running 4 gigs of memory? Your video cards have 1.5 gigs of memory, total, so you can only ever see 2.5 gigs of your system memory.

lithium726 said:
o_O Catching on? I fail to see what I'm "catching on" too. Perhaps if i had been arguing that these cards are wonderful and no one should be without one you would have a point, but I haven't. You pointed nothing out and gave me nothing to catch on too, quite frankly.

The points I was making exist with every next generation card and since some gamers on the forums are new in regards to upgrading their computers I explained those details.
Not everyone has been running benchmarks, reading hardware forums and tweaking the overclocking on their systems for the last 4 years.
:rolleyes:

mikeblas said:
Why are you running 4 gigs of memory? Your video cards have 1.5 gigs of memory, total, so you can only ever see 2.5 gigs of your system memory.

What are you talking about? System memory has nothing to do with VRAM

pcfan10110 said:
What are you talking about? System memory has nothing to do with VRAM
I'm talking about address space. Both the system memory and the mapped memory takes space out of your processor's 4 GB maximum address space. What does your memory map look like?

1) Click on Start
2) Right-click on "My Computer"
3) From the resulting context menu, select "Properties"
4) In the "System Properties" menu, activate the "Hardware" tab
5) Click on the "Device Manager" button
6) Mark "Resources by type" in the "View" menu
7) Expand everything under the "Memory" node
8) Post what you see here.

mikeblas said:
I'm talking about address space. Both the system memory and the mapped memory takes space out of your processor's 4 GB maximum address space. What does your memory map look like?

1) Click on Start
2) Right-click on "My Computer"
3) From the resulting context menu, select "Properties"
4) In the "System Properties" menu, activate the "Hardware" tab
5) Click on the "Device Manager" button
6) Mark "Resources by type" in the "View" menu
7) Expand everything under the "Memory" node
8) Post what you see here.

How stupid of me... :rolleyes:

Well, I suppose you only wasted $200 or so. It's easy to get caught-up in the bigger-is-better and end up taking more than you can actually use.

Back