Whoops

cApNhOwDy

Weaksauce
Being the n00b that I am, I accidentally purchased memory intended for an Intel x58 system to use on my dual-channel AMD mobo.

Using this mobo

With this RAM

So what's the best way to remedy this situation? I've got the 3x2gb sticks in my system right now. Do I need to just take out one of the 2gb sticks for it to run in dual-channel, albeit only having 4gb in my new system? Or do I need to invest specifically in dual-channel memory, as I was considering selling the barely-used RAM and getting 8gb of this dual channel memory instead.

4GB of your 6GB is running in dual channel mode. When you access those 4GB you will benefit, but the remaining 2GB is not running in dual channel model. You could either buy another 2GB DIMM (same speed, timings, etc) or replace it with 2x4GB DIMMs. Both would be fine.

Thanks everyone, I understand the intricacies of dual/triple channel memory a bit better now, at least enough so that I can remedy my unfortunate situation.

I think the best option would be for me to sell the 3x2GB of Triple Channel memory that I got, and replace it with the 2x4gb Dual Channel memory, which will leave me with space on my board incase I feel the need to upgrade in the future, which would not have been possible had I simply added another 2gb of Triple Channel memory (a feature that I would not be getting full functionality with considering the board I have).

Back