Whoops: set wrong partition as active. Help!

UncleDavid218

2[H]4U
So today I got a new 1TB WD Green Power to compliment the one already in my media center PC:

HP Elite M9350F
AMD Phenom X4 9850 @ 2.5GHz
9800GT
6GB DDR800
2x 1TB WD Green Power
Hauppauge HVR-1800
Wireless-N
LG BD-ROM/DVD-RW

As I was initializing the disk in disk management, I accidentally set the new drive as the active partition (I clearly wasn't paying attention). So I rebooted and surprise... BOOTMGR is missing.

Ok... easy enough fix. I'll just boot to my Vista x64 disc and set my Windows drive as the active partition. The only problem? My HP media center computer uses a RAID BIOS that, as far as I can tell, cannot be disabled. This in and of itself isn't too bad, however, when telling command prompt "cd c:\" is says that it's not ready (or something like that).

Any ideas?

You can have an active partition on each physical drive. So, just because you made your new physical drive active will not make the partition on your other physical drive "not active".

It is possible that your new physical drive is given boot priority over your old physical drive. In that case, all you need to do is to go to the BIOS and give boot priority to the old drive.

If you are sure that your problem is setting a partition active (I doubt that), you can use GParted live CD for that.

You can have an active partition on each physical drive. So, just because you made your new physical drive active will not make the partition on your other physical drive "not active".

It is possible that your new physical drive is given boot priority over your old physical drive. In that case, all you need to do is to go to the BIOS and give boot priority to the old drive.

If you are sure that your problem is setting a partition active (I doubt that), you can use GParted live CD for that.
Same thing happens even when the drive is not plugged in. The boot.ini or whatever it is in Vista is trying to boot to the wrong drive. I just don't know how to correct this as the SATA RAID are causing my to not be able to change the active drive.

Back