Whole Home Audio Systems

vischo

Gawd
Looking at getting easy access to music in the entire house.

What are some options?
I've looked into Sonos, is there a do-it-yourself alternative?

I use a bunch of Apple Airport Express units and a third party piece of software called Airfoil.

Airfoil lets me send what ever audio I want to the Airports all over my house. I use it mainly for Sirius radio. The airports have an audio output port on them. You can plug them into your wired network, or plug one into ethernet and have the others chain off of it wirelessly.

If you're using iTunes for your music you don't even need Airfoil. iTunes will send your music to the Airports directly.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/features/airtunes.html

Logitech squeezebox units are another option with great open source multi-platform software.

The Nuvo systems are very nice..not sure what your budget is but it can also pull music from your WHS box or Media Center box.

I've been checking out Linksys's whole home audio components. They look nice, and with the wifi remote you are able to control all the different rooms.

I use a bunch of Apple Airport Express units and a third party piece of software called Airfoil.

Airfoil lets me send what ever audio I want to the Airports all over my house. I use it mainly for Sirius radio. The airports have an audio output port on them. You can plug them into your wired network, or plug one into ethernet and have the others chain off of it wirelessly.

If you're using iTunes for your music you don't even need Airfoil. iTunes will send your music to the Airports directly.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/features/airtunes.html

Thats neat, I like how you can control the Airports via iPhone

Are all your Airports hookup to a A/V Receiver? You cant hook up speakers directly to the Airport right?

Thats neat, I like how you can control the Airports via iPhone

Are all your Airports hookup to a A/V Receiver? You cant hook up speakers directly to the Airport right?

The Airports don't have an amplifier built in. But you can use some USB powered speakers like I do since the Airports USB port provides power too. $10 at Walmart. I don't need a full A/V setup everywhere so they work out great.

Back