Whoever said PC gaming is dead...

Climber

Supreme [H]ardness
Hasn't seen my Steam backlog.

Literally, I've probably got a dozen games + that I haven't played, and I still haven't got around to ordering ME2, the new DA expansion, AvP, DoWII expansion, Metro 2033, Bioshock 2, and if Ubisoft ever gets off this shitastic DRM trip I'll pick up AC2, and SH5.

Then I've still got my console backlog and with GoW3 out today, and I'm still on the fence about FFXIII, I'm still probably not going to be finishing Demon's Souls anytime soon.

Sigh. I need to retire just to find time to play all these games.

dozen games in your backlog huh? I envy you. I've beaten maybe 10-15 games so far.

120qww1.jpg

I agree that PC gaming is not dead nor dying.
However, the market is obviously going consoles.
In other words, the PC is now a secondary market for most publishers.

I agree that PC gaming is not dead nor dying.
However, the market is obviously going consoles.
In other words, the PC is now a secondary market for most publishers.

thats cuz no1 buys the games anymore.

The PSP is another platform beset by high piracy rates. Its not just PC.

that's why you see more company trying to use online server so much more in there games.

that seems to be the only way they have found to stop it.

Just bought the new computer today! When it arrives I finally get to play the lot of games I've been waiting to play just so I can do it up at max settings!!

steam.jpg

If it helps "piracy" is also high in the console market, AKA the used games market.

The game industry finally is trying to clamp down on that as well, now they are offering incentives and bonuses to those that buy a game new, such as free DLC whereas if you purchase a used copy, you have to pay for it.

So PC gamers aren't the only ones getting the shaft by the fat cats.

If it helps "piracy" is also high in the console market, AKA the used games market.

The game industry finally is trying to clamp down on that as well, now they are offering incentives and bonuses to those that buy a game new, such as free DLC whereas if you purchase a used copy, you have to pay for it.

So PC gamers aren't the only ones getting the shaft by the fat cats.

yea but it not nearly as bad as in the pc world.

because the topic "PC gaming is dead" is synomonous with piracy!

If PC gaming dies, they won't blame the people who voted with their wallets and refused to buy games filled with DRM, no, they will blame the pirates.

Why would anyone buy all these games a head of time, knowing you don't have time to play them. Where if you waited until you did, you would likely get a much better price and save a ton of money in the long term? I feel like I'm wasting money by having one game on the shelf I haven't played yet ... let alone dozens or more.

Why would anyone buy all these games a head of time, knowing you don't have time to play them. Where if you waited until you did, you would likely get a much better price and save a ton of money in the long term? I feel like I'm wasting money by having one game on the shelf I haven't played yet ... let alone dozens or more.

Probably true but some of us have this bad habit of playing and alternating between several games at once. ;)

90% of my backlog is from Steam Winter deals.

71 games from steam alone, probably 20 other non steam games installed. quite a back log of games for me to play espceially since i started spending so much time with wow... lol
With our canadian dollar getting stronger, I might cash in on some more steam games :)

the only people i see saying anything about pc gaming being dead is people declaring it's not dead (like you)... almost as if they are trying to reassure themselves publicly.

Oh I have time to play them I just don't due to perfect skiing or climbing weather, a date comes up, resumed my doctorate classes this semester took away alot of time away from my "rec" time.

If you noticed when I said I haven't bought alot of new games it is because of your exact reasoning. But that doesn't mean I don't want to play ME2 or DA:O expansion now and there are probably going to be just as many good games this time next year as there are now which means I'm going to be playing catchup for a while.

the only people i see saying anything about pc gaming being dead is people declaring it's not dead (like you)... almost as if they are trying to reassure themselves publicly.
Yes that is it. Thank you for noticing my deepest darkest fears and facing me with them. I can now sleep better at night because you have pointed me in the way of truth.

Just bought the new computer today! When it arrives I finally get to play the lot of games I've been waiting to play just so I can do it up at max settings!!

steam.jpg

That is a large number of games.

See, I only buy the games I consider to be "good" and apparently my standards are higher than some. I don't think there are 163 games in all of the history of gaming that I would actually consider good, much less PC games available on Steam.

Banyan said:
the only people i see saying anything about pc gaming being dead is people declaring it's not dead

Not true...I've seen a few doomsday naysayers in this forum declare that PC gaming is dead or dying.

That is a large number of games.

See, I only buy the games I consider to be "good" and apparently my standards are higher than some. I don't think there are 163 games in all of the history of gaming that I would actually consider good, much less PC games available on Steam.

If he's like me, he bought many of those for a song during the various sales while others came in a big bundle. For example, I bought the Eidos pack which contained 20 games for $49.99 because I really wanted 3-4 of the games in it. I'm not going to tell Steam to keep the other ones, or pay more to buy those 3 or 4 individually... I guess I'm just trying to say there's no need to have an elitist attitude just because someone has more games than you. Who cares?

I made a similar thread in general mayhem. There are tons of good games out for the PC right now. I'm backlogged myself, and there are more games coming that will surely be here before I get caught up.

I wrote an article about this on my site awhile back. It was in response to an entire thread full of people complaining about how pc gaming was dying. I'll go ahead and post it here.

Guys enough with the doomsday prophecies. PC gaming will always exist and will always be popular, and will always have a large base of great exclusive titles. It just won't be AS POPULAR as consoles. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, the main reason people use consoles is for their casual gameplay and simplified experience (you just pop it in and it works). Would you really want that if it made pc gaming more popular for both consumers and developers? Now as for exclusive titles that is really up to the developers. Many developers will stay with consoles because it's easy (you only have to design the game to work with one set of hardware) and they have the potential to make more money due to reaching a larger audience. But many developers that feel limited by the consoles outdated hardware will go with PC. So we will always have lots of exclusives for both. Now believe it or not even though the consoles have been a massive contributing factor they are not the main reason why pc gaming is becoming less popular. In my opinion their are 4 main reasons why developers are getting fed up with pc and moving to consoles. 1. Hardware rendering is strongly prioritized over software rendering now and days 2. Thanks to intel completely dominating the integrated gpu market with unfair practices 99% of all home PCs have a shitty integrated gpu that can't even run outdated games 3. Pirating has made developers to scared to go with PC since they don't want to put the effort into developing security for their games and 4. Since Nvidia and AMD are trying to milk the super high end enthusiast market for as much money as possible we have now reached the point where in any given series of video cards the performance difference between the lowest end card and several of the highest end cards in sli or crossfire is over 100 times. Developers simple cannot design a game that scales so well that it runs ok on the lowest end hardware yet takes advantage of the highest end hardware, the performance difference is simple to great. For those of you who had the patience to read this entire post I thank you for listening.

Last edited:
Back