whoa nvidia inspector

1080p no 3D vision.

I know that supersampling supposedly is supposed to look blurry but this seems like it has less detail than without AA. LIke an actual blur, not adding in extra pixel information. Flicker is gone in the trees but still it's odd. I find 2x2 AA looks no worse than 4x for the most part. So I enjoy just about 60fps with it.

Edit: Now I can't get any of the AA modes to work.

Last edited:
I know that supersampling supposedly is supposed to look blurry

No, no it's not. This is a common misconception which is not based on factual evidence. "Blurriness" with SSAA can be caused by one of three things, two of which can be fixed.

1. A post-processing shader interferes with it, causing a blur (discussed earlier in the thread)
2. The LOD bias is set to low causing textures to become oversampled (this only happens with certain types of SSAA)
3. An object is composed of many extremely small pieces all with edges. Such as the trees in crysis. Since you're used to the object having aliasing you've successfully tricked your brain into thinking that that's normal. Since the object is being rendered with so many aliased pixels when SSAA fixes this it causes the object to look totally different. You're not used to this. You're used to AA fixing a small amount of pixels on the screen that make up the edges of a few large objects. The trees in crysis are practically made of aliasing, to me it looks horrible without SSAA, this causes the shimmering that you see. The shimmering is all the aliasing on the tree leaves moving as the camera changes position and rerenders the scene.

Since you have dual GTX 580s with 3GB of vdram you're one of the few people on that planet that could run crysis on high/very high settings at 1920 x 1080 with 4xSSAA while maintaining a good framerate. I would recommend 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA for you.

Oh I feel stupid. Originally I SSAA should be sharp then looking at all these posts I began to think it was supposed to feel blurry, only to now learn that's due to some other issues.

Thank you for the help though. Crysis does look much better when I was getting it to work. So I set transparency to 4x SGSSAA, Set AA mode to enhance, then set it to 4x in-game?

Really appreciate all the help with this.so far you're the only person I've talked to that understands this stuff fully.

Okay, where's the how-to for dummies for applying nVidia Inspector options to Crysis? I tried several global settings and several Crysis settings within Inspector, but I don't think I saw any effect (relaunching the application after each change.)

Okay, where's the how-to for dummies for applying nVidia Inspector options to Crysis? I tried several global settings and several Crysis settings within Inspector, but I don't think I saw any effect (relaunching the application after each change.)

When I first go it working I never had to reboot crysis.

I set it to enhance, with the AA level at application controlled, then I set the transparency to 4x SGSSAA then hit apply and alt -tabbed back into crysis warhead. I was doing this all under the crysis warhead profile. Maybe reboot your system. Something might be messing with it.

where's the how-to for dummies for applying nVidia Inspector options to Crysis?

There isn't one. This isn't simple stuff/common knowledge.

Crest did an excellent job explaining what you should do to get 4xSSAA working in dx10 mode:
So I set transparency to 4x SGSSAA, Set AA mode to enhance, then set it to 4x in-game
I set it to enhance, with the AA level at application controlled, then I set the transparency to 4x SGSSAA then hit apply and alt -tabbed back into crysis warhead.

Remember to hit the apply button in the upper right corner of nvidia inspector.

so far you're the only person I've talked to that understands this stuff fully.

That fact really annoys me sometimes. If you decide to take an interest in this stuff please try and pass your information on through other forums. Every day is a constant battle against the ignorance of the masses and every person fighting that battle helps.

That fact really annoys me sometimes. If you decide to take an interest in this stuff please try and pass your information on through other forums. Every day is a constant battle against the ignorance of the masses and every person fighting that battle helps.

I certainly will. I plan on doing videos about it on youtube as well. My channel audience knows me for spending days at a time simply finding anything to max out for any project I work on. So this is great help.

You've been amazing help and I hope this thread gets more readers and posters. I enjoy reading about all these different options. I'm lucky to be able to run nearly every option without having to second guess my performance. $1200 well spent I guess.

Back