Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Sony Playstation 3

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Microsoft Xbox 360

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • PC / Don't Care

Votes: 50 43.5%

• Total voters
Xbox Live has had plenty of time to get things right. The party system, achievements, voice chat, gamertags, customization, interface, market, it's all very seamless. PSN had a horrid interface and was overall a pain to use the first few years. It's gotten better but so has XBL. Also let's not forget the whole PSN hack fiasco.

I wasn't a GOW fan but Halo is much more competitive FPS than Killzone which IMO was pretty broken and felt clunky. Uncharted and Last of Us are ok additions but honestly no one bought those games to play the multiplayer.

Personally I miss the classic blades 360 dashboard had. I honestly think its worst. I have harder time now finding what I'm looking for on XBL. I won't call PSN great but I haven't had much trouble with it.

What about the PSN fiasco? Maybe I was lucky but PSN went down yet that weekend I was playing Killzone 2 online because they were doing double XP. I think people were more upset they couldn’t get the newest CoD DLC so made a big fuss.

Between my 2 RRoD and the server issues XBL had, like when CoD4 and Halo 3 released and no one could log in for 2 weeks, I’ve had more lost time there.

Killzone 3 is very popular and very competitive. Same goes for Uncharted and Last of Us MP. Uncharted 3 multiplayer is strong and Last of Us is well loved, they even just added a few new game type for LoU. They are still adding maps to UC3 so someone must be playign them.

Shame if you haven’t tried any of them since that’s what it sounds like to me. Both KZ3 and UC3 is on PSN for free, up to a certain rank. I admit to be very skeptical at first but I’m very glad I gave them a chance.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/4/4692936/uncharted-3-labo-u-r-day-celebration-and-lab-map-dlc

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/28/4670130/the-last-of-us-update-interrogation-mode-multiplayer

PC. I would have voted 360 if consoles had not completely stagnated for the past 4-5 years.

360 for multiplayer

But the PS3's exclusives destroyed anything on the 360, Uncharted 2 was one of the best games I've ever played when you look at the total package and what it offered and I'm 35 years old and have been playing games since the Atara 2600 / Commodore 64 days and that says alot.

Gears was good but when you compare it to Uncharted 2 as a whole package, it's not even a contest.

people who like to play games won this generation, A lot of us have all 3 systems and have games we enjoyed and still enjoy on all 3. , so the gamers win this generation and the gamers will win the next gen too, I don't care which system I use as long as the game I'm playing is fun to me. anyone who cares which system sold more or is better is missing the point, I'd say ps3 and the 360 are the main systems but I do enjoy wii Sports resorts and some of the Mario games but for serious gaming its the big 2 for me.

So I have to choose from the Red Ring of Death debacle, the fact that Sony kept losing on PS3 hardware sales until late in lifecycle, and Nintendo shovelware and lack of online gaming; and let's not forget consolitis on PC.... Damn - tough call.

That just makes me sad. Honestly, I know the Wii had a broad appeal, I just wish Nintendo got punished for the lack of a good release schedule for it.

They are getting punished now, for sure. Less than 2M units sold nearly a year after launch, with only 200,000 being sold the last quarter... Yeah. Their approach needs refinement.

Better hardware. Better (and more) games. Less shovelware.

Even after owning both "HD" consoles, I am just meh. 360 has the best multiplatform support, PS3 has the best exclusives (MS has been non-existent with 1st or 2nd party support for anything except Kinect). Wii was a no-buy with it's hardware being two Gamecubes duct-taped together (basically), and their waggle motion control gimmick. And the PC suffered as a result of all of the above. Consolitis has never been so bad as it has this generation.

Voted PC/Don't care.

They are getting punished now, for sure. Less than 2M units sold nearly a year after launch, with only 200,000 being sold the last quarter... Yeah. Their approach needs refinement.

Better hardware. Better (and more) games. Less shovelware.

Even after owning both "HD" consoles, I am just meh.

Voted PC/Don't care.

You mean the Wii U? The Wii U has sold almost 4 million (3.61) now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

The Wii U already is a better console than the Wii was. Motion controls don't belong in most games.

I went with Xbox. They sold a lot and have a huge library of great games.

That's not to say the PS3 isn't bad. It's a great console. Their initial problem was cost. It was too expensive. But, the games are excellent. Naughty Dog games made me love that console, for sure. Others are great, too.

Wii is good, too, but after that initial appeal, the game library shrinks to actual playable games for the fun factor, not the motion controller. Some are awesome, some are ok, but a ton of them are motion control as their selling point (same with Kinect, really). Raving Rabbids was fun and a motion control game. Mario, of course, was excellent. FPS's sucked hardcore because they wanted to the the Wii motion controller. So, I played CoD and never picked up another FPS on that console. Very casual gaming, and very good at it.

PC - You can't deny it was the superior platform. It really is. It's just not a console. Different markets. So, I won't even go into that...

PC - You can't deny it was the superior platform. It really is. It's just not a console. Different markets. So, I won't even go into that...

PC does count.
If PCs didnt exist, I would have bought a console.
It competes directly, we cant help that it also does a ton more :p

Buying a high end PC is about as smart as buying a 4k Sony tv right now.

Wii won the battle. XBOX won the US. PS3 won the world.

You dont need anywhere near a high end PC to beat a console.
Plucking statements out of the air that have no relevance is about as smart as a child having a tantrum :p

PC does count.
If PCs didnt exist, I would have bought a console.
It competes directly, we cant help that it also does a ton more :p

PC's are way more capable than consoles. They are multipurpose devices (consoles are starting to be multipurpose, too, I guess). Gaming is superior on it, but PC's are designed to other things, gaming is just one of them. Consoles are designed for gaming only. You don't see PC's everywhere with games (workplace). You see consoles with games on nearly every one. So, I don't consider them the same type of machine.

If we are comparing the gaming capabilities, there really is no comparison between the two. PC's are so much better than consoles for those of us that are capable of using them (some people can't figure out new drivers, setting resolution/AA/AF, etc..).

But, you do mention 'this generation'. How does that work with PC's that are constantly getting upgrades? Are we judging from the hardware of the time when the console was released, or the best hardware up to this point? When the PS4/XBOne are released, does the PC enter a new generation period, as well? Details.... :) (now I'm just fucking with you...)

I didnt mention 'this generation'? You have me confused with someone else.
Your opinion is fine, I was just adding mine :)

imo though, PCs constantly getting upgrades isnt a direct comparison, but it does bring up a definite advantage.
PCs are already better than consoles at the release day of the console.
PCs have the option of improving even more, or you can game cheaply and still hose consoles for quality.
Overall, you can have better quality on a PC for much less money, especially if you buy a lot of games.
The money you save on games can be put toward making your hardware even better if you want to match the cost.
PC is a great alternative to consoles and has soooo many more games and tons of free stuff.
They are marketed very badly, I dont see an advert for PC gaming or its advantages ever.

They were all basically winners. Each system found a respectable slice of the market. It's not like the old days when you could say one console was a failure compared to the others (ie: Sega Dreamcast vs PS2, 3d0 vs Saturn/PSX, etc).

They were all basically winners. Each system found a respectable slice of the market. It's not like the old days when you could say one console was a failure compared to the others (ie: Sega Dreamcast vs PS2, 3d0 vs Saturn/PSX, etc).

I think you mean no one crashed and burned? The two quoted consoles you mentioned pretty much failed so hard that they took their manufacturers out of the race completely.

Of course, some would argue that it was the development of games like Shenmue that really caused Sega to fail (for those that didn't know, Shenmue cost so much to develop that in order for it to make a profit, everyone who owned a Dreamcast would have had to buy 2 copies before it would have become profitable).

Wii has sold more units... something like 100 million versus 77+ million of either 360 or PS3.

Wii has sold more games... last I heard was 860 million for Wii, 730 million for 360 and 630 million for PS3.

Wii innovated with the motion sensor technology, though Move or Kinect is superior and better implemented, Nintendo did come up with it first.

I have to give the win to the Wii for this generation, followed by the 360, then the PS3.

edit: PC market is a tiny slice of the whole video game pie, it's like 15%, with consoles taking the rest, so it's probably fourth place for gaming.

Wii innovated with the motion sensor technology, though Move or Kinect is superior and better implemented, Nintendo did come up with it first.

I agree with everything other than this, the original Eye Toy had full body motion control games before the Wii was announced. I actually didn't even know this until I looked it up, apparently Sony started working on motion all the way back in '98 iirc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EyeToy#Designed_for_EyeToy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_SuperStars

Gameplay is similar to that of EyeToy: Play, in which players use their body to play a variety of minigames. However, while that game only picked up player's movement, Sega Superstars uses a more advanced system. Before the start of each game, a setup screen with an orange area is shown. In order to start the game, players have to stand in a position where the orange area won't pick up any movement and select the continue button. This method determines what area is the background, allowing EyeToy to pick up the player's position, as opposed to just what areas are moving. This is particularly prominent in games like Puyo Puyo, that uses the player's entire body.

The Wii created the most memorable original games that are a blast to emulate on a high end PC and play using Dolphin with an actual Wiimote. For that reason... kudos to the Wii.

PC for the win however.

For me it is the ps3 by far. The only problem I had with it was no party chat like xbox. The exclusives were way better for me on ps3. The last of us was hands down my favorite game of this gen, followed by the uncharted series

Back