Who will actually upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista?

Will you upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista?

• Yes

Votes: 257 87.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 12.9%

• Total voters
That's where Vista went wrong for me. It seemed like they put too much into looks and not enough into everything else.

Complete security overhaul with UAC? New driver model? New memory management? New power management?

Nay, the opposite is true. Microsoft should have put MORE glitter into Vista, so people like you who don't look under the hood think there's something more to gain.

I'm poor. Unless I get a free license, I won't upgrade my OS.

Complete security overhaul with UAC? New driver model? New memory management? New power management?

Completely terrible overhaul with UAC? New terrible driver model? New terrible power management?

Yeah, you're right. They did a great job. Must be why Vista has had such a great rep these few years and Microsoft seemingly spent billions convincing you otherwise.

Honestly, I'm going to Win 7 x64. Vista is good but not great, and it's not XP.

After having tried both the Beta and RC releases, I'd honestly have to say that Microsoft is on the right track with Win 7 finally.

Completely terrible overhaul with UAC? New terrible driver model? New terrible power management?

Yeah, you're right. They did a great job. Must be why Vista has had such a great rep these few years and Microsoft seemingly spent billions convincing you otherwise.

Elaborate. What's so terrible about it? Be specific lest you fall into Troll category.

7 seems to be pretty good.

I only use Vista for gaming currently(XP Pro is fine for internet and email and such) and it hasn't been a problem for me, but I think I'll buy a copy of 7 Home Premium when it arrives.

I am still running Windows XP Professional SP3 - I never went to Vista because it just wasn't worth upgrading at the time. I got more excited about Windows 7 more than I did Vista for some odd reason.

So when the official release is out or shortly before I'll order another 2GB of memory (to bring my Core 2 Quad Q6600 from 2GB to 4GB) and a new OS drive to install Windows 7 on.

I was going to give Windows XP one last re-install on my box for the time being but I think I'll just wait for the RTM - we're halfway through June right now and RTM is in July sometime so I might just hold off.

-All modern operating systems have something similar to UAC that prevents programs from gaining admin/root privileges without the user's approval. UAC is by far the best implementation IMO.
-The new driver model was long needed and has greatly improved stability. It took hardware manufacturers a few months to work out the kinks in their drivers, but it was worth it.
-My MSI Wind and Sony VAIO SZ both get better battery life with Vista than they did with XP.

The problem is that there are a lot of people who troll about Vista despite the fact that they have never actually used it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Right now not yet since Win7 is RC so I have dual boot with my vista and I'm really getting to like windows 7 for few reasons. It's faster, uses less ram and resources, smaller kernel, not steep hard ware requirements, larger hardware supprt like my logitech webcam which it found the drivers and install it automatically and it's also newer then the latest vista 64 drivers on their site, better and more efficient superfetch and memory management, improve and customizable UAC unlike in vista.

Once is out in October I will install it on my main RAID0 and won't be using vista any more

I'll definitely be upgrading to Windows 7 because of the features (libraries, new media center).

As for the speed, I got a Vista SP2 machine alongside a Win7 RC machine and honestly, opening windows, office programs, firefox, they all load pretty much in the same time on both machines.

I’m dual booting both right now, but the main OS is vista because some games had issues on win7, when win7 RTM comes out I’ll dual boot both but the main OS will be win7.

I'll definitely be upgrading my main PC to Windows 7 come release on October 22nd. More likely, I will back up everything and then do a fresh install so that I have everything clean and kosher. No legacy bits to foul up anything. I currently run Vista x64 on my main PC, Windows 7 RC x64 on my development box, a linux file-server, and a laptop running Windows XP (the laptop is old, but had beefy hardware at the time). I might try the RC on my old laptop to see if it would make it perk up any so I can see if I want another license for the laptop.
So yes, I'll be moving on up to 7.
The changes are dramatic enough to warrant it, in my opinion. I'll also be looking forward to multi-touch capable portables for use with Windows 7. http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/03/25/touching-windows-7.aspx

Just finally installed the RC tonight. Other than the installer sitting there doing nothing for multiple minutes at a time, it was one of the fastest installs I've witnessed. Boot time is great, responsiveness is excellent, and it feels *much* faster than Vista64 on this machine.

Once the retail OEMs hit the 'egg, I'll be doing like I did with Vista and snagging 3.

I love my Vista Ultimate 64 oem, but I will probably upgrade to 7 when I upgrade my mobo/cpu/ram just because I would have to get a new copy of Windows anyway.

Right now I'm not moving from XP. I've already done benchmark tests on my own systems and have determined that XP gets considerably better performance than with Vista 64 bit or 32 Bit. Yes, there are directx 10 benefits but so far they haven't outweighed the cons. That Genuine Advantage notification thing drives me NUTS and for some reason even though it's been over two years there are still more compatibility problems with Vista than XP.

I know I can't keep XP forever but hopefully Windows 7 works out enough Vista bugs that I can at least live with it. I figure with W7 SP 1 comes out then it might be time to switch over. I have a friend who refused to budge from XP but likes 7, so there's hope.

Last edited:
I'll eventually upgrade, but I will wait and see it the drivers are solid and support all of my hardware. I'm still not sure I like the new taskbar but I'll get used to it eventually.

There's all sorts of mods and themes for the way things look. I messed with my friends for a while by making my XP look *exactly* like Vista.

After using the Beta and RC I like Windows 7 a lot but honestly Vista does everything I want right now. I'll eventually upgrade if I can find a full version at a good price but I' not rushing into buying a copy.

I'm one of the few who actually liked Vista and still do. I also like Vista's look compared to 7.

Right now I'm not moving from XP. I've already done benchmark tests on my own systems and have determined that XP gets considerably better performance than with Vista 64 bit or 32 Bit. Yes, there are directx 10 benefits but so far they haven't outweighed the cons.
Huh?

That Genuine Advantage notification thing drives me NUTS
Wut?

and for some reason even though it's been over two years there are still more compatibility problems with Vista than XP.
Such as?

Vista has outstanding software backwards compatibility.

Well, aside from one copy for my wife's pc, I was gonna just wait til I needed another license due to a new build. But with the $50 pre-order deal going on for Win7 Home Premium Upgrade, I may as well buy several copies and convert 3 or 4 of the numerous retail Xp licenses I have laying around unused. I am sure I will eventually need them anyway. I will prolly upgrade my current main system to it at some point. My current Xp32/Vista64 dual boot setup is working great so I am in no rush.

I honestly don't think it's worth it to pay to upgrade to Windows 7 if you already own Windows Vista. There's just not a lot to gain from doing that.

However, if you have XP or need to buy a license for another machine, it would be more than worth it to get Windows 7.

I will move my main machine over to Win7Pro.

My laptop will be VistaHP, 2nd machine VistaPro, HTPC XPMCE.

I already have, to the RC anyway. I like it. Basically it is just improvements for the most part, but I dig the stolen-from-Apple 'dock'ish task bar. Home groups are also pretty nice. It also feels slightly more snappy than Vista.

I have two copies coming from Amazon when it gets released, couldn't go wrong for $50 bucks....I was just going to upgrade my Macbook Pro since W7 ran so much better on it vs Vista, but I've been playing around Beta on my Desktop also that I want it for that too...

Back