who uses thier laptop as thier main machine

AthlonXP

Fully [H]
Well guys, I really had no use of my desktop and honestly my work gave me a sweet D620 to use for work and personal use and was wondering who else uses their laptop as their main machine. Since I have a nice 37 inch westy when I hook up my D620 to my docking station it gives out the nice rez and honestly the nvidia card I have in the laptop should do well for my light gaming needs.

I use my laptop as primary as well. The portability is such a convenience.

I have an XPS m1210, and a cheap 19 inch LCD at home for when my eyes are bothering me, or to watch a movie in bed.

I don't think I will ever go back to a desktop, unless I became a PC gaming enthusiast, which I doubt will happen.

I do all of my homework, business, and other work on my laptop.

My desktop, with more power, ram, hard drive space, is just a very fancy mp3 player / video player. ;)

@hyper

Where did you get that MacBook Pro in your sig? I didn't think they made them with PPC chips.

@hyper

Where did you get that MacBook Pro in your sig? I didn't think they made them with PPC chips.

Yeah that's definitely a PowerBook, not a MacBook Pro... and it's a 5400rpm hdd not 5600 and it's a radeon 9700 not a 970... many a error in that sig.

I use my MacBook as my main machine, my desktop is only still around because it has a more powerful graphics card. Had I picked up a MacBook Pro innitially, I wouldn't have needed my desktop here at college at all.

Well, since I decided (wisely it seems) to get a really nice laptop to begin with, I haven't used my desktop at all. Haven't even turned it on, other than to grab some mp3s from it early on.

I do agree, though, that college makes the desktop a lot less useful.

My desktop is my tank; hot running processor, many HDDs, and just general multipurpose storage/workstation.

My laptop is pretty lightweight in comparison, and I just use it for Windows (desktop is Linux), so MS Office work and such gets done on it, and I carry it around for jobs/class as well.

I just can't take not having a real mouse for too long, really. The keyboard isn't too bad on the laptop, but the touchpad is truly not suited for long periods of use. Screen is nice though.

I have one of those fancy latitude docking stations at home hooked up to my westy 37 inch. just wondering... feels kind of weird after getting rid of my desktop but to be all honest I hardly ever game on it anymore and it was pretty much just sitting there sucking up electricity. What do you guys think of the D620 I have in my sig??

A very solid machine, and the D-Dock is really pretty sweet. My D600 is hooked up to my Gateway via VGA though, I'm too cheap to go get a DVI switch that will handle SWXGA+/SUXGA resolutions. I digital coax from the dock to my receiver too, it's really f'ing awesome. Do you have the D-Dock integrated into the monitor stand too? That looks really slick.

Only thing "odd" I noticed is looks like you have a 1024MB DIMM and a 512MB DIMM. Dunno how that affects memory performance.

I moved from a desktop to a notebook as my primary machine about two years ago, and haven't had a desktop at all for about a year now. I picked up a new notebook (XPS 1210) and it's been wonderful. Small enough to be portable, enough battery life to use all day at work without needing to charge, and powerful enough that I can game if I want. It's the best computer that I've ever owned (with regards to its multi-functionality).

A very solid machine, and the D-Dock is really pretty sweet. My D600 is hooked up to my Gateway via VGA though, I'm too cheap to go get a DVI switch that will handle SWXGA+/SUXGA resolutions. I digital coax from the dock to my receiver too, it's really f'ing awesome. Do you have the D-Dock integrated into the monitor stand too? That looks really slick.

Only thing "odd" I noticed is looks like you have a 1024MB DIMM and a 512MB DIMM. Dunno how that affects memory performance.

its supposed to be 2gb of ram, for some reason it didn't update. should be fixed now.

Back