Who said Warlocks were gimpy? (World of Warcraft)

Talon Blackrazor said:
Eh? 31/20 is fine for tanking; there's not an encounter in the game that requires the MT to be Protection specced.

Are you kidding me ?

DukenukemX said:
It is true but I find the Pally makes it seem too easy.

etc.....

You seem to be relying on the fact that you can shield and heal for every fight. Thats a pretty cavalier mindset to have since there are many ways to prevent you from even having a chance to heal. Not to mention that when you pop your jesus shield you are allowing not only yourself to heal but your opponenet as well. Back to square 1 but you just blew a timer.

DemisE said:
How many times have you been to BWL?

We have everything up to and including Chrommagus on farm status, gotten Nef to stage two and hope to kill him in the next couple weeks.

All the Protection tree provides are bonuses to existing abilities, some fairly nice, but none absolutely necessary.

Skill > Spec.

Always.

Talon Blackrazor said:
No.

Name one. And why.

The extra 10 points in defense, or the shield slam which gains alot of threat, or concusion blow are very important skills. The next time your on Major Domo, and one of his add crits one of your tanks and kills him, causing loss of agro and the mob to AOE the rest of the party to death, ask yourself if you could have used the extra 10 defense, or the ability for the other warriors to grab agro quick enough to stop a wipe.

Talon Blackrazor said:
Skill > Spec.

Always.

Your right Defiance, +defense, toughness is completly overrated. :rolleyes:

For the record: Nef on farm status for over a month now.

DemisE said:
You seem to be relying on the fact that you can shield and heal for every fight. Thats a pretty cavalier mindset to have since there are many ways to prevent you from even having a chance to heal. Not to mention that when you pop your jesus shield you are allowing not only yourself to heal but your opponenet as well. Back to square 1 but you just blew a timer.
I haven't seen anyone prevent me from healing besides casters since the shield only protects against physical attacks. BTW the jesus sheilds are both instant cast. The pally would need to be already stunned to prevent him from putting up a shield.

Also that's why I said that priests are the biggest problem for a pally. It's a battle of healing and priests are the best. If you ignore healing yourself when battling a priest you can usually beat them silly. A smart pally would ignore healing and beat healers senseless. Just as they are trying to heal you can use Hammer of Justice to stun them and finish them off. Also gotta remember that even if I just blew a timer I still have the upper hand. A pally uses a weapon to attack. Most players who heal don't specialize in weapons and need mana to produce any decent damage. . Players like the Priests and Shaman would have exhausted their mana and left defenseless. A pally can heal himself at least 2 times fully and will produce a consistent damage rate without the need of mana.

You'd think a Druid would be a good match for a pally but I've never seen it. Might have something to do with Druids being restricted to leather armor and they can't use spells in animal forms. Making it hard for a druid to get any good damage out while being able to heal himself.

Every other player who can't heal is going to have to rely on running from a pally. Mages can still burn pallys and run. Warlocks can still curse them and run . At that point it's a matter of luck and quality items you have.

DukenukemX said:
I haven't seen anyone prevent me from healing besides casters since the shield only protects against physical attacks. BTW the jesus sheilds are both instant cast. The pally would need to be already stunned to prevent him from putting up a shield.

You are missing my point. But thats ok, you seem to love your pally and thats what matters.

Defiance is really thing only thing that I feel is even CLOSE to "necessary" for BWL, and even then only for fights like Broodlord where aggro is something you have to worry about.

31/20 tanks can tank just fine in the endgame, though 31/5/15 is a good compromise. This way you get Defiance, which can help out quite a bit.

Draax said:
The thing about warriors being monsters in PvP, is that as a warrior you have to pick your role. I am a protection specc'd warrior and I suck at PvP, PvP warriors suck at end game instances and are not needed in raids, there are plenty of rogues already.

So wrong.

I main tanked Ragnaros fine with a 31/20 Arms/Fury build. You only spout off what little knowledge you've gained from the uneducated.

Learn to play...

Protection spec doesn't really help as much as it should IMO. The first 10-20pts are nice but getting all those stun chances doesn't help against all those stun immune mobs. I switched by 60 warrior back and forth a few times between Arms and Protection builds and in the end found that a 31/5/14 worked well for me before I quit playing. Protection warriors are NOT that tough to kill in PVP either. Really well equipped Protection warriors might be.... but not average equipped ones. That's more of an example of how warrior power is so closely connected to gear quality and not talent specs.

angrif77 said:
That's more of an example of how warrior power is so closely connected to gear quality and not talent specs.
At the end it's the gear that really matters. Sure you can put the skill points in such a way to give you some benefit. Learning how to use your abilities to the max is going to help but it's the gear quality that matters.

Of all players I've fought it's the ones who had the best gear that I lost to. I still remember my mage fought another mage. I was 3 levels higher and I had pretty good equipment. I even used my abilities better. The other mage won easy. Checked out their equipement and all kinds of stuff that increases fire spells and cold spells.

That's why so many people Ninja. Some people just go from instance to instance and never completing quests and gain honor.

Draax said:
The extra 10 points in defense, or the shield slam which gains alot of threat, or concusion blow are very important skills. The next time your on Major Domo, and one of his add crits one of your tanks and kills him, causing loss of agro and the mob to AOE the rest of the party to death, ask yourself if you could have used the extra 10 defense, or the ability for the other warriors to grab agro quick enough to stop a wipe.

Defense comes from armor, relatively easy to get. There are other attacks which generate close to just as much threat as Shield Slam, are usable much more often and cost less than half as much rage. Virtually every end-game boss is immune to stun.

Is MC the extent of your experience?

Draax said:
Your right Defiance, +defense, toughness is completly overrated.

Not overrated, but not necessary. As stated earlier, all they do is buff or give bonuses to existing stats or skills.

Speccing heavily into protection is a waste for a skilled warrior, what you have to give up far outweighs what little benefit you get.

As long as you have the skill and the equipment, then full spec into protection is a waste of talent points. Been farming nefarian for over a month now and none of our warriors are full prot.

theNoid said:
So wrong.

I main tanked Ragnaros fine with a 31/20 Arms/Fury build. You only spout off what little knowledge you've gained from the uneducated.

Learn to play...

Oh please .... :rolleyes: Grow up. People like you are the reason I stoped playing my hunter, let me guess you also like to spam the O RLY bird. Let us know when you balls have dropped.

You say learn 2 play yet you seem to be clueless in this area. In end game each class has its role, Warriors role is to tank. To increase the efficency and effectiveness of a warrior you spec in protection. This in turn helps the entire group out, as a protection specc;d warrior will have more armor and defence which means he takes less damage and crits, which means the healers have a larger mana pool with which to heal the rest of the group. Fury warrior HA, wanna be rogues, warriors are not meant for DPS there are much better classes out there for that type of thing.

Should a hunter be in close doing melee, no because that is stupid, about as stupid as a warrior with the wrong spec trying to act like a rogue and wag there e-peen when the damage meter comes up.

bonkrowave said:
Oh please .... :rolleyes: Grow up. People like you are the reason I stoped playing my hunter, let me guess you also like to spam the O RLY bird. Let us know when you balls have dropped.

You say learn 2 play yet you seem to be clueless in this area. In end game each class has its role, Warriors role is to tank. To increase the efficency and effectiveness of a warrior you spec in protection. This in turn helps the entire group out, as a protection specc;d warrior will have more armor and defence which means he takes less damage and crits, which means the healers have a larger mana pool with which to heal the rest of the group. Fury warrior HA, wanna be rogues, warriors are not meant for DPS there are much better classes out there for that type of thing.

What you fail to realize is that past 15 in protection does almost nothing for your tanking ability. Up to defiance is really as far as you need to go for protection. They revamped the prot tree and made the 31 point talent a freaking offensive ability (why? No clue.)

You don't need to "spec protection" to be an awesome tank, not even in Blackwing Lair. There's nothing past 15 protection that really appeals to tanking. Period.

Genocidal[v2] said:
DPS warriors are a definite must for Blackwing Lair. Rogue dps is great but warriors have execute and that can make or break a fight. Especially on boss fights like Vaelestraz.

aye. i'm a fury specced warrior *woot* and when our guild has a boss down to to 19%, they always throw a powerword shield me and let me spam all my tricks on the bosses. typically i have full rage and it's deathwish + recklessness + imp execute, it's not uncommon for me to do 10k dmg in a very short amount of time.

CatsGoMoo said:
What you fail to realize is that past 15 in protection does almost nothing for your tanking ability. Up to defiance is really as far as you need to go for protection. They revamped the prot tree and made the 31 point talent a freaking offensive ability (why? No clue.)

You don't need to "spec protection" to be an awesome tank, not even in Blackwing Lair. There's nothing past 15 protection that really appeals to tanking. Period.

QFT.

Defiance is the key tanking ability in the prot tree. Imp. Revenge doesn't help, improved sunder armor is nice, but rage in MC and above is never an issue. Concussion blow does nothing since everything is immune.

Shield Block + Revenge + Sunder + Shield Bash + Heroic Strike here and there is all you need to hold agg. I have been full prot to 31/ 20 and haven't notice much of a difference in holding agg. Currently I am 31 / 5 / 15 till we get all of BWL on farm status.

KevinO said:
QFT.

Defiance is the key tanking ability in the prot tree. Imp. Revenge doesn't help, improved sunder armor is nice, but rage in MC and above is never an issue. Concussion blow does nothing since everything is immune.

Shield Block + Revenge + Sunder + Shield Bash + Heroic Strike here and there is all you need to hold agg. I have been full prot to 31/ 20 and haven't notice much of a difference in holding agg. Currently I am 31 / 5 / 15 till we get all of BWL on farm status.

The nice thing about a 31/5/15 build is that you get the full benefits of the Protection tree, still get your 5% crit bonus from the fury tree (no enrage or piercing howl is kind of a bummer in PvP, but it's easily worked around), and you get the benefit of Mortal Strike.

How could you go wrong with that spec? Hell, there are some PvE encounters where I want my warriors to have Mortal Strike, like Temerus the Devourer in Blasted Lands. This way if he manages to do his drain life to the group (due to bad positioning or getting jumped by alliance), it only heals him for half of what it normally would.

Btw, what server are you on?

HRslammR said:
aye. i'm a fury specced warrior *woot* and when our guild has a boss down to to 19%, they always throw a powerword shield me and let me spam all my tricks on the bosses. typically i have full rage and it's deathwish + recklessness + imp execute, it's not uncommon for me to do 10k dmg in a very short amount of time.
Fury for the Win!

That combo right there is soo much fun in BG when everyone is man handling the enemy general :)

Masume said:
Fury for the Win!

That combo right there is soo much fun in BG when everyone is man handling the enemy general :)

I think my favorite combo ever is Sweeping Strikes + execute. Nothing like wailing on three people with an execute just because one of them was at low hp :D

Back