Who plans on going to Windows 8 and who's sticking with Windows 7?

Are you upgrading to Windows 8?

• Upgrading to Windows 8

Votes: 120 38.1%
  • Sticking with Windows 7

Votes: 186 59.0%
  • Going to other OS (linux/MacOS/etc)

Votes: 9 2.9%

• Total voters
So I get windows 8 for free and still debating whether to upgrade or not..... I want to try it out but I have so many files on my hdd and to have to redo all the linking for SSD optimization is a pain... plus what if my pc doesn't like it and then I am screwed for college.(until I can reinstall)... What to do...

So I get windows 8 for free and still debating whether to upgrade or not..... I want to try it out but I have so many files on my hdd and to have to redo all the linking for SSD optimization is a pain... plus what if my pc doesn't like it and then I am screwed for college.(until I can reinstall)... What to do...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you have a spare hard drive you don't need, install it on that. If you don't, since you have a mission-critical piece of equipment (for you anyways), I say the statement "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" does apply here.

Here's my "why"
7573579294_00800df93b.jpg

I tried Windows 8 for a month and after a BSOD and some corrupt apps, I knew a reformat was coming so I went back to Windows 7 and really don't miss 8. I may give 8 another go after it is out for a while and some updated drivers and such get released, but at this point 7 runs much better for me.

I had Windows 8 RTM on a few of my PCs, already upgraded them back to Windows 7. Don't turn my PCs into tablet shit, no thanks MS.

I will install it on my main machine and see how I like it. If I don't like it, I'll probably dual boot it with Windows 7 or something. We all know Windows 8 will improve with service packs etc.

I'll give it a fair shot and we'll see how it goes.

No amount of service packs (if there's any) will 'improve' Metro (and by improve I can only mean 'remove'). Metro is what keeps [most] people away.

I had Windows 8 RTM on a few of my PCs, already upgraded them back to Windows 7. Don't turn my PCs into tablet shit, no thanks MS.

I'm constantly amazed at how this Windows 8 tablet shit runs all of the same desktop software with exactly the same functionally as Windows 7.

I can get W8 for free through school but I still am debating on if I want to upgrade or not. Is anyone happy about their decision to upgrade?

I can get W8 for free through school but I still am debating on if I want to upgrade or not. Is anyone happy about their decision to upgrade?

New UI, it's a subjective either you like it or you don't sort of thing. There's plenty of tips and tricks from us that can make getting around the new UI a lot easier though. There is a bit of a learning curve, since you are most likely used to Windows 7.

It seems a lot of folks are happy with Windows 8. What are your concerns?

That the UI wont be as good and that the drivers for my thinkpad will be a pain in the ass to get reinstalled. I think I am just going to go for it and see what happens.

That the UI wont be as good and that the drivers for my thinkpad will be a pain in the ass to get reinstalled. I think I am just going to go for it and see what happens.
I can't speak to the issue of drivers for your thinkpad. I would look into that before taking the plunge though. The special upgrade pricing will be good through January, 2013, so you have a few months to think things over.

With regard to the UI, the desktop is pretty much the same as it was in Windows 7, albeit with no "AeroGlass" effect on the windows themselves. How attached are you to the Start Menu? Some folks seem to love that widget passionately and are mourning its departure as if Microsoft shot their best dog. If you are in that group then you will likely be disappointed with the new Start Screen. There are work-a-rounds: you can use 3rd party Start Menu replacements, or make a toolbar that points to the Start Menu folder, or include the Start Menu folder in a Library, but if you simply hate the new tile based Start Screen interface I'd say save yourself the misery of moving to Windows 8.

On the other hand, if you're flexible and willing to try something new then I'll at least go on record as saying: "come on in, the water's fine!" That said, I do warn you the first boot into Windows 8 is something of a shock, enough of a shock that it seems many never quite recover. It looks nothing like any version of Windows you've ever worked with before. Don't fret though, click on the Desktop tile and start installing your regular software like you've always done. Explore the hot spots in the corners of the screen. Practice moving the mouse cursor into a hotspot and then moving up or down the edge of the screen. Remember that Sleep/Shutdown/Restart are now in the Settings Charm on the right hand of the screen. Play with the tiles on the Start Screen. You can drag them around and right click them to bring up additional features. There's lot to do!

I'll concede that in some ways Windows 8 looks very different, but behind all the changes lurks the same, solid Windows you've used for years. Windows 8 just gives you a whole new set of options as well.

I just installed 8 in virtualbox yesterday.

that metro shit is annoying with a mouse! To do the same shit, you need to wait an extra instant, or click a few extra times, or drag shit you never had to drag before. Gimme back my X in the upper right corner.

fortunately, most of the desktop is still functional, and that's where you'll be spending most of your time. Notepad, paint, and others have not been metrofied.
so other than the start menu, everything is almost the same as 7. I won't be using those new calendar, music, news apps.

I wonder how many regular joes are waiting for windows 8. Has there been much hype around 8? The big question is, have pc sales declined because people want to wait for win8?
I'm betting most people just don't care about windows, and have finally realized that they only need to spend $150-500 for toys that can surf the web.

I just installed 8 in virtualbox yesterday.

that metro shit is annoying with a mouse! To do the same shit, you need to wait an extra instant, or click a few extra times, or drag shit you never had to drag before. Gimme back my X in the upper right corner.

fortunately, most of the desktop is still functional, and that's where you'll be spending most of your time. Notepad, paint, and others have not been metrofied.
so other than the start menu, everything is almost the same as 7. I won't be using those new calendar, music, news apps.

I wonder how many regular joes are waiting for windows 8. Has there been much hype around 8? The big question is, have pc sales declined because people want to wait for win8?
I'm betting most people just don't care about windows, and have finally realized that they only need to spend $150-500 for toys that can surf the web.

Most analysts say people are forgoing buying new computers and buying cheaper laptops/tablets/phones that can do many of the things their desktop can do, while being much more portable. The downturn in the economy probably has a lot to do with this.

I agree, most of the metro apps are better left forgotten if you're using the desktop. I like the calander and mail apps because they will display notifications on your desktop, and you can put all of your accounts into that one app. There is one thing I extremely dislike about the metro mail app, and that's the lack of ability to select multiple e-mails. I'm sure that will be improved in the future.

Most analysts say people are forgoing buying new computers and buying cheaper laptops/tablets/phones that can do many of the things their desktop can do, while being much more portable. The downturn in the economy probably has a lot to do with this.
Much of the slowdown in the PC market in the 3rd quarter of 2012 could also be attributed to consumers waiting for Windows 8 to come out and from OEMs and retailers closing out inventory of non-Windows 8 savvy machines. Going by all the announcements made in the last week I think we'll see a virtual blizzard of new PC hardware this Christmas shopping season.

I agree, most of the metro apps are better left forgotten if you're using the desktop. I like the calander and mail apps because they will display notifications on your desktop, and you can put all of your accounts into that one app. There is one thing I extremely dislike about the metro mail app, and that's the lack of ability to select multiple e-mails. I'm sure that will be improved in the future.
Just considering the next few months, most Modern UI apps haven't even been released yet. It's a safe bet that existing apps will be improved and newer apps will be of higher quality. This goes for Modern UI as well. Unless they are in a dominant position, Microsoft has never been one to rest on its laurels. The touch enabled market place is red hot right now and the two main players, iOS and Android, so far boast commanding leads and are keeping up a blistering pace of updates. Microsoft is certainly aware of this and knows full well that if they don't match that release cadence they have no chance of even catching the market leaders, much less surpassing them. I expect the next few years to be a blast to watch as these three bruisers go at each other.

Storage Spaces was the only reason I was interested in Win 8 and I have not read anything positive about it.

At this point I plan on sticking with 7. If I build a new PC, I might put 8 on it depending on how things look at the time.

I went from XP to 7, completely bypassed Vista. I'll probably skip 8 too. Microsoft seems to get "every other" OS version right.

Keeping win7 on my desktop and putting win8 on my laptop at a later date. I don't disslike win8, I simply don't need it (yet) for what I do at home.

The laptop will get win8 for educational purposes mainly. I work in a PC products store so it will be crucial for me to know win8 inside and out.

Why is he wrong?

1. The only way to improve Metro is to remove it. This is wrong, simply because a UI is subjective thing, and it's your personal opinion whether you like it or not.

2. It's not going to keep most people away. What is going to keep most people away is the cost. The average person doesn't care about a new OS, they don't want to spend money if their current OS works for them. Also, most people get a new OS when they buy a new prebuilt computer, as long as they can use Windows 8 (which most will), they won't bother changing it.

Nobody has given me a reason to upgrade to Win 8.

Faster boot times and overall better resource management.
Improved security.
Better task manager.
Taskbar cloning across multiple monitors.

UI and metro apps are debatable, depending on the person.

Won't be getting it. I would have already bought it had it done the following three things:

1) Gave the option to use a desktop UI exclusively. I don't want to switch intro Metro/Modern at all.

2) Kept Aero/ a "Windows 7" theme like how Win 7 comes with the Classic look.

3) Gave the option to disable all "app stores" and pop ups in the main screen (both desktop and Metro).

Sticking with Windows 7. No compelling reason for me to upgrade to Windows 8 and lots of reasons not to.

Windows 8 already since DP.....not a single issue......faster in everyway :D

Dunno why "enthusiasts" have an issue finding the desktop! ROFL

I Loathe metro. Whoever came up with the idea should be fired and banned from the technology industry (and investigated to see if they are an Apple spy who suggested metro to make pc owners hate their computers) Dumbed down error screens to make us dependant on outside diagnostic sources. I will consider upgrading when i get my windows 7/vista/xp interface back. i want my computer... NOT AN XBOX. And i dont know what speed difference people are reporting. This is the same speed as 7 was/is with ssd boot drives. infact windows 7 boots faster. i get a full desktop in 7 in 20 seconds.. 40 in 8.

i want my computer... NOT AN XBOX. And i dont know what speed difference people are reporting. This is the same speed as 7 was/is with ssd boot drives. infact windows 7 boots faster. i get a full desktop in 7 in 20 seconds.. 40 in 8.

That's your problem right there......you've fucked sumthin' up! :(

*sigh*.. windows 8.. feels like another windows millenium edition to me. first microsoft turned "windows phone" into an apple product, where you can only get your software through microsoft. and now our pc's are next. this is pathetic.

no, i havent screwed anything up. fresh install bootspeeds.. windows 8, 40ish seconds, windows 7, 22 seconds. dont know if the bios on the ssd controller is optimized more for 7.. but im not impressed. its just depressing to me.. 20 years of building computers and windows 8's ui is the best we get? i pray the mod community gets some sense.

Sticking with Windows 7 for the time being. I don't like Metro, I use Windows Media Center, and my boot times are actually slower on 8 because of driver issues with 2 of my RAID controllers. I've also been having a whole bunch of compatibility issues with various games that I haven't been able to pin down.

I'll try it again in a few months, but so far I'm not very impressed.

I have windows 8 installed right now, i kinda like it. I am struggling to understand the way web browser works, for example, i cant go back after clicking on a link... however i welcome the cheaper price.

I might upgrade if they let me get rid of Metro. I don't like crap like that shoved down my throat.

I have windows 8 installed right now, i kinda like it. I am struggling to understand the way web browser works, for example, i cant go back after clicking on a link... however i welcome the cheaper price.

When I tried Win 8 Consumer Preview, I had a better experience using IE10 (Desktop) than IE10 Metro. My only gripe/annoyance was using tabs in a Metro UI.

If I were you, I'd probably just stick to the regular IE10 desktop version until Microsoft fixes some slight usability issues with it.

OCN's poll of "If you used Windows 8, do you like it?" currently stands at 21 (31%) dislikes, 32 (47%) likes, and 14 (20%) haven't used it.

The poll is almost 4 days old now, and from the start of the poll, the number of likes was always higher than dislikes. So all of you saying Metro sucks and what not... you are all in the minority.

I hope MS makes users watch a mandatory tutorial video before they are allowed to use win8.
A lot of people will lose their patience within the first 30 minutes. After you get used to the bigass Start menu, win8 is alright.

I just searched on youtube, and found this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU&feature=relmfu
Just skip to the end. It's funny.

Last edited:
OCN's poll of "If you used Windows 8, do you like it?" currently stands at 21 (31%) dislikes, 32 (47%) likes, and 14 (20%) haven't used it.

The poll is almost 4 days old now, and from the start of the poll, the number of likes was always higher than dislikes. So all of you saying Metro sucks and what not... you are all in the minority.

67 people is hardly a sample pool to extrapolate from. :rolleyes:

oh wait. you're being sarcastic, right?

Right, as soon as something doesn't agree to your opinion, you call it unreliable.

The how about that poll of ~50,000 people, where 26% of respondents have actually used Windows 8, and 25% prefer it? Having ~4% of users disliking the new UI totally makes Windows 8 a failure, right?

Back