Who makes the best laptops?

erehwon6811

Limp Gawd
I was wanting to know who makes good quality laptops. The companies that I know of are: Dell, IBM, Sony, HP, Toshiba, and Compaq. I'm looking to build a laptop that can play games, but is not one of those huge, desktop replacements. It will be used for a lot of school work. My college does offer Dell laptops, but they only have 512 MB of ram that is shared with the integrated video card. I'm looking for a laptop with a gig for ram, a real video card, and good battery life. I've liked what I've seen of HP's laptops.

Also, what is the better time to buy a laptop? Will there be some good sales once everyone starts going back to school?

I'd vote for Asus if multimedia and mobility is of any importance to you...IBM if you only care about reliability and mobility.

Asus makes damned fine laptops (and Mac's)...I'd certainly suggest that over a 17" behemoth like the Dell E1705 if you care at all about portability. They typically have x1600 on their high end 15.4s...which only Acer and Apple have. (I've seen some 17" HPs with them...but few and far between). AFAIK, only Asus has it in a 14".

The W3J is an almost perfect laptop, in my opinion. Great form factor, great power. I just wish the screen was WSXGA+. Look at RJTech.com for some good deals.

IBM/Lenovo's saving grace is that they're built like tanks, thin & light, and generally get very good battery life. However, they typically have crappy videocards unless you pay out the ass for the high end. That being said, they have the best input setup in the business...most comfortable keyboard, and trackpoint & touchpad as input options. Support is generally excellent, and will actually last not only the span of the warranty, but beyond it. My old workplace was using 6 year old IBM 600e laptops until it migrated to IBM X30s.

I agree with what you said about IBM. I used them on this computer inventory job and they were pretty nice. What do you guys think of HP laptops? I've been looking at them alot.

I have a t60 and it has been great. like it was said already in the thread, IBM is great for solid laptops that are reliable. also, the software that comes with it is actually useful like the security stuff. i have a thumbprint scanner and its great. overall, if you want a rock solid laptop thats built with super quality but not a desktop replacement that is purely for gaming, go for the IBM T series.

I'd be inclined to add Panasonic to the quality list. Aside from some crazy stuff (like kontron- www.kontron.com) thier ToughBooks are a notch above pretty much anything else in beatability. As in, you can beat them more before they break.
I don't think I really have a favorite manufacturer right now. I used to like IBM, but now that they sold thier PC business to Lenovo I'm waiting to see if the new owners can live up to the legacy that's been handed to them.
As far as buying goes, if this is for college next fall & you can wait I'd say wait. Merom may be available in your price range in time and the Turion X2s should be in better supply and easier to come by.

I found a HP laptop at Office Depot for $750.
Specs:
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 TL-50
• 1024MB memory
• Free upgrade to 80GB hard drive
• Burn & Play CDs and Play DVDs via the combo drive
• Integrated 802.11b/g LAN
• Includes HP F380 All-In-One printer

I'm also looking at this laptop and this laptop from Circuit City also. I'll also go look at some of those other brands, but these are the ones on sale. How does the top one look? I know I'm going to go and check if it has a dedicated or intedgrated video card.

I should have said that I'm trying to keep this to a $1000 and under. I kind of like that first HP with turion x2, but I'm just looking at the moment. I think I should wait, but I would like to get one. If I had the money, I'd get one of those $2000 apple laptops since they can dual boot xp now.

my hp listed in my sig just rips through everything very powerfull laptop i was impressed.

JediFonger said:
http://www.voodoopc.com/system/quotekitchen.aspx?productID=1078
^has turion x2 TL 60... but the rest is "meh" and expensive.
If you want that for half price ($1099), get the MSI version.. same exact thing minus the car paint job.. lol. MSI S271. (available in orange/black or white) My brother's should arrive tomorrow. (he got his from mwave, but I ordered my s270 from xmeld.. they have them so you can customize them with what you want)

I personally throw my support behind HP in most laptop advising I give others.

The quality has always been up to par, at least in my purchases, and their service team tended to always meet my satisfaction.

Asus, because the MacBook is the god of laptops, it just doesn't have the specs to back itself up.

I back Sony and Apple, mainly sony, the 13.3"screen vaio laptops are very well built and pack a punch, although i must admit i am dam chuffed with my AR11s 17" Vaio Media Center laptop.

DELL!

im on my 5th dell laptop in 3 years.

D800
2 9300's
E1705

they look kick ass and i like it. what i dont like is the gay customer service.

Back