Who makes rock solid boards out of box?

Vriess

Limp Gawd
Ive been having so many problems with my m7ncd that Ive decided to just throw down the cash on a real motherboard. I want something that is going to work the first time, and every fucking time. I know Asus, MSi, Shuttle, DFI are all top runners but who makes boards that run 100% with little to no tweaking?

Eshelmen said:
MSI...Shuttle...

Thats definately a negative, seeing as the K8N Neo seems to have its share of problems...

More like aBit, DFI...and I'll leave these retarded dots here to make it seem like i'm impatient or pissed off

I've owned 2 MSI boards, one died (875P) and one was just too picky with ram (Nforce2 something). Now I just stick with ABIT boards, they havent let me down yet. ASUS is also very good.

If I wasn't gonna OC I'd get an Asus...usually among the very top performance and stability stock. Very good RMA service too if something "does" go wrong.

Yeah but he said under 90 bux... so I just said some ones that came to my mind for under 90...My MSI board is fine for me for all that I`m doing...Maybe I`ve been fortunate?
Btw...MSI has won many awards including editors choice

edit...now that he edited what he said...i would have to say asus...my friend has two asus motherboards and they work great for him...not really that much of updates for him.

Seems like Abit and Asus are taking top honors. I have an XP processor already so Intel is out of the question.

For AMD solutions, I have built something like five systems using the Albatron KX18D ProII and haven’t had a lick of trouble from any of them, some probably going on a nearly a year now. I have done single drives and RAID arrays easy as pie. Used various Graphics Cards without a conflict. In short, my experience with them has pointed to it being a very stable board.

Peace,
James

Wow, that Albatron Kx18d pro II got 5 stars at newegg with 71 votes. Thats a damn fine rating. ;)

Vriess said:
Ive been having so many problems with my m7ncd that Ive decided to just throw down the cash on a real motherboard. I want something that is going to work the first time, and every fucking time. I know Asus, MSi, Shuttle, DFI are all top runners but who makes boards that run 100% with little to no tweaking?
What your asking for doesn't exist. What you want does. There is no manufacturer that produces things that work 100% of the time, OK, well maybe H2O bottlers. Anyways. Intel for intel rigs, and Abit/Asus for AMD.

If you put a price restriction on the equation, your really looking for something second tier, I'd look at MSI, DFI, or Albatron.

Obivously no board maker has never shipped a faulty product but Im interested in who ships boards that are solid in your experience(im tired of seeing the desktop).

Im really looking for an nforce 2 mobo as those seem to be the performance champs of the xp line(I have a 3200+)?

I'm not seeing the abit ver 2 on newegg, does it have a special designation?

*cough* there are other benchmarks for options of new hardware besides Newegg.....I mean if they contradicted the real enduser opinions from here, who would you believe? For AMD I agree with the opinions here with the exception of Albatron and thats only because I've never owned one so I'm neutral. I run an Abit now and love it....For client builds I use Asus for the very criteria you have.

Vriess said:
I know Asus, MSi, Shuttle, DFI are all top runners but who makes boards that run 100% with little to no tweaking?
Since you mentioned MSI... you do not know.

My vote goes out to Abit and Asus. The "A" in both = A+ Quality!

Toonage said:
For AMD I agree with the opinions here with the exception of Albatron and thats only because I've never owned one so I'm neutral.
Toonage, I think that is a very pragmatic and reasonable view to take, and refreshing in comparison to how some folks will at times dump on a brand simply because they are unfamiliar with it and can’t see as how anything could live up to their choice. Not to say that has happened here, this has been a very civil and respectful thread, been a good read, thanks to all!

I myself had no experience of Albatron till almost a year ago. While I had worked with other boards, I was fairly committed to Soyo, and had been quite pleased with them until I started to notice a rather quick turnover in models they were marketing. They seemed to be getting in the habit of issuing new models with slim improvements, gearing themselves toward cosmetic changes and included accessories. Now my experience with them was still one of quality built products, but along with the shift in marketing focus to the quickly changing newer models, the emphasis on support for boards perhaps only a year old seemed to wane as well. And as they seemed to be having more trouble nailing down the BIOS for their initial releases I started to get a bit uncomfortable with them. That isn’t to say I wouldn’t go back to Soyo for a specific product, the mechanical QC I am sure is still excellent, but I decided it was time to look for a new secret weapon, or if you prefer, another small company producing high quality enthusiast boards.

I think I found what I was looking for in Albatron, but there is no doubt it was a roll of the dice having had no first had experience with them. I read a lot of reviews and customer ratings and decided to go for it. As I stated in my earlier post, I have picked up several more in the time following the purchase of that first AMD solution board and haven’t had a dud or looked back in regret. Got my first Intel based board from them back in March and that’s were I really, really got impressed and have built two more since. I should however make the caveat that my experience extends to only three models, the budget AMD solution KX18D Pro, the first-rate AMD solution KX18D Pro II and what I think is a truly excellent i865PE based Intel solution the PX865PE Pro II.

I would recommend that anyone roll the dice and give them a try, in one man’s opinion it’s really not that much of a gamble.

Peace,
James

Now playing: Secret Machines ‘Now Here Is Nowhere’

Phoenix86 said:
What your asking for doesn't exist. What you want does. There is no manufacturer that produces things that work 100% of the time, OK, well maybe H2O bottlers. Anyways. Intel for intel rigs, and Abit/Asus for AMD.

If you put a price restriction on the equation, your really looking for something second tier, I'd look at MSI, DFI, or Albatron.

Seconded. You need to research every board/chipset that comes out to make an educated buy. If you blindly stick to one brand religiously, you will eventually get burned. Guaranteed.

I have heard of MSI's incredibly shitty reliability. And I have seen in real life, an AMD MSI board that had its capacitors blow up. Nuked the CPU and possibly the rest of the stuff inside. Avoid MSi, they have been proven to be utter shit.

You see the front page? Fried motherboard smoked and charred to black. And what do you see in one of the photos? MSI.

They also have had a case of known faulty capacitors in their manufacturing. They possibly knew of the problem but continued to carry on with business, but over time we all found out eventually. They should owe my friend a new CPU at the very least.

MooCow said:
I have heard of MSI's incredibly shitty reliability. And I have seen in real life, an AMD MSI board that had its capacitors blow up. Nuked the CPU and possibly the rest of the stuff inside. Avoid MSi, they have been proven to be utter shit.

You see the front page? Fried motherboard smoked and charred to black. And what do you see in one of the photos? MSI.

They also have had a case of known faulty capacitors in their manufacturing. They possibly knew of the problem but continued to carry on with business, but over time we all found out eventually. They should owe my friend a new CPU at the very least.

No offense, but I have an Abit board next to me with leaked capacitors, an ECS board that crapped out, the list goes on. If you've been doing this long enough you'd realize that thats a dumb judgement to make. MSI also happens to be one of the largest mobo distributors period. You can't stay there and just do crap products. Passing on personal experiences with specific hardware is useful to everyone. Blanket bias is not and does more harm then good.

Listen I've heard a lot more reports from Msi stuff than from any other brand. Yes all stuff breaks, but who breaks more?

Very nice punkitup....appeciated and thanks. Vriess, this thread has developed into the type of real world info that you can hang your hat on, from various users in both camps of Intel and AMD. IMO you could get a reliable board from this thread alone for either chip. Use Newegg for a pricecheck and new purchase only as thats all its good for.......volume pricing and shipping. As for another vote for Abit, I've clocked this thing up, down, and sideways, changed bios's a dozen times (not because I had to..... more like: "let's see what happens when I do THIS...... doh,,,, thank gawd for the finger hold on the cmos jumper......next" ), I have FarCry alt/tabbed to the desktop, answering emails with one client, answering here with another browser, just opened Photoshop for a small project and have folding@home running in the background on a 400frame WU.....all at 33C. I couldn't ask for more from my investment in this particular rig.

I still say Abit as I always say.
I have been running the NF7-S V2.0 since they first came out. Man I just love it and it's so stable.
And I am very happy and content till the real 939 Abit boards come out.

I work all day long on computers and for years, I have seen every *SI board and most are junk. And most are now dead and replaced with a real board.

Asus, Intel, Supermicro, Tyan, are all excellent board makers whose products are nearly perfect from day one. I'd say definatley not Abit. I've had so many of them act strange out of the box (BP6,VP6 BX6 Rv2, BH6, KT7-RAID, KT7-A RAID all had issues to start with. The BP6 having the least amount of them. They need a BIOS update at a minumum to run right it seems. The KT7's were outright junk. I won't get into the woes I had dealing with about 3 or 4 of them. MSI runs good out of the box, but there seems to be a high failure rate amongst them.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Asus, Intel, Supermicro, Tyan...
Indeed.

"Intel", btw, seems to be OEMed by Asus, IWill, and Foxconn, although I'm not entirely sure.

Tyan and Supermicro do seem to be super-badass...makes sense considering how expensive their boards are.

Personally I have own Abit, Asrock, Asus, Biostar, DFI, ECS, MSI, Soyo, Supermicro.

Out of all these the only ones that have been super reliable out of the box are Asrock, ECS, and Supermicro. Believe it or not but this is my experience. Recently I switched from a MSI K8N neo to a Asrock K8S8X it is just as fast but no I no longer have a crash daily in fact I have had only problem because a hard drive took a dump.

2dFx said:
I'll have whatever you're smoking, it sounds like some real good shit :D
Doesn't take much. Foxconn's PSUs suck ass, but their motherboards are (generally) quite solid.

The last 15 machines I built all got Asus boards, and they all worked very well but for one with an AGP driver problem. Also very reliable boards, and great RMA service with 3 year warranty. Not the best bang for the buck boards in regards to features, but quality costs less in the long run usually.

Back