Who makes a really nice computer desk?

PiratePowWow

Limp Gawd
What I'm looking for is a desk that is clearly designed for a computer, is well-built, and has a modern look.

The MILK desk is pretty nice, but should really only be about $500, not $5000. Even so, it comes up way short because it has no provisions for the computer tower and there are no other office pieces that will work well with it.

Modern look to me means no brown wood and no old-school molding designs and patterns. If it is wood, it should be either very light, or very dark like espresso style. It is pathetic looking to have a digital-age flat panel sitting on top of furniture that looks like it was made before ball point pens.

Ikea's espresso Galant desk is decent when accessorized, but I find it hard to justify spending $400+ on an Ikea product.

I think HP should start making office furniture.

Any way, could definitely use some desk advice, so chime in if you have any.

Anthro Computer Cart has several nice options @ anthro dot com. Depending upon your location, you might be able to nab a used one off Craigs list at a reasonable price.

Your thoughts on wood furniture being anathema to "digital-age" equipment seem a bit bizarre and unusual, but to each his own. It seems that metal and glass desks might be more to your liking. Places like Office Depot, Staples, etc. carry such desks at very good prices.

I've got an IKEA Galant in the espresso brown you mentioned. I bought it at an IKEA store at a much better price than found on their website. I paid $170 for the same desk that runs about $390 on ikea.com. They have frequent sales that never appear online.

+1 for the galant. I got one with the black scheme, cheaper in store than online like mr wolf says. It's sexy and simple.

StinkyTofu:

Thanks for telling me about Anthro, they have some very interesting products. Although they are QUITE pricey and their products are not very attractive. This desk for instance, is decent, but I don't think it's worth anywhere near the $1100 they want for it. It looks like a made-from-china wal-mart special! What's attractive about it, and all the anthro desks, is the fact it is clearly designed for a computer. LOL at the Fit System series; they don't fit together for shit! Huge uneven gaps between the components (by poor design, not poor manufacturing). BUT the many different options available to you for customization are really tempting, if I keep looking at them I may find something I can't live without, but for now I am looking for something a bit more attractive at a bit lower price, even if I have to sacrifice some (not too much) functionality.

Thanks!

Mr. Wolf:

I don't know whether or not you realized it when you typed your post, but I took it to be an insult for many reasons. I made this thread after many days of frustration in searching for a good desk.

The closest IKEA is 3.5 hrs away :-( . I live in Lafayette, LA and craigslist is not gonna happen, I already checked, but thanks for the idea.

This Desk System is more my style, but where do I put the comp tower?

$600? might as well get an ikea desk and pay for shipping, it should be cheaper:D. Not only that you live 3.5 hours away, it should arrive within a day or two.

Mr. Wolf:

I don't know whether or not you realized it when you typed your post, but I took it to be an insult for many reasons. I made this thread after many days of frustration in searching for a good desk.

The closest IKEA is 3.5 hrs away :-( . I live in Lafayette, LA and craigslist is not gonna happen, I already checked, but thanks for the idea.

This Desk System is more my style, but where do I put the comp tower?
Hmmm... you're right. I don't see how you interpreted my comments as insulting.

Anthro runs pretty frequent sales - you might sign up for their mailing list.
Current deal seems to be 35% off
http://www.anthro.com/cpage.aspx?scid=12&

FWIW, I have a 4 foot Anthro w/top & side mounted shelves that has served me well since the late '90's. It has survived 3 states and multiple moves.

my desk is about 1500mm long and 700 wide. It has 1 drawer and one filing/deep (?) drawer, and it cost me $10 from an op-shop. It holds my tower, screen, QcK + heavy mousemat, my modem and my icemat cans with plenty of room on the sides.

bargain

Twice you mentioned "where do I put the tower?"
Why not just put it on the end of the desk?
Mines about 3 feet away and looks fine there.
Off the floor, plenty of airflow - do'n just fine.
Of course its pretty, and I don't mind looking at it :D

10122008115214ck0.jpg

Have you tried Thomasville?
They make some sleek wood desks with espresso colors, kind of like what you were describing.

And for once its made out of real wood, not cheap crap Ikea...

Ikea's Jerker is great if you can find one...there's always that Lian-Li one too (it's not cheap though).

Another vote for the Ikea Galant. I absolutely love mine. Like some of you, I've got the brown-black colour, which I like. This desk offers so much usable space, it's really become a multipurpose area for me where I can get pretty much anything done.

I got the http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69852115 with the 31 1/2" by 23 5/8" extension.

The extensions are the primary reason I went for this desk. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it'll last a very, very long time given its expandability. I plan to add another extension to the left side and even a rounded corner to the right side once I've got a bit more room. In its current configuration it fits me perfectly for now, though.

Also, as far as locating your computer, this desk is so deep that you can put it underneath the desk and not have to worry about kicking it. I've got mine on top of the desk, with the subwoofer beneath, and you really don't have to compromise looks or usability.

Also, since it is modular, if you found that your desk was suffering wear and becoming dated, you can always replace the desk's surface. I believe the tabletop in all colours but white is $110. Most of the extensions are $20-$30.

Personally, I just take very, very good care of mine. <3

I use a pool table that came with my house (The finish was ruined and the legs gone), slapped on top of a very heavy wooden desk.

Is holding a FW900, 3 19" monitors, a bunch of accessories, and 2 towers perfectly fine.

I got the same one Mr. Wolf except with the black scheme, I didn't think it would be that big till I assembled it lol. My setup is on the left side of the desk, while all my books and college crap are on the right. I thought the desk would organize my workspace, it didn't. But that is just me. But if you really want to be creative, and have enough time, you should make your own desk.

This thread is total fail.

Thanks for telling me about a desk(galant) I already knew about guys!
I already said I'm not spending $400+ for that. It's not going against the wall, it's going in the middle of my living room, so I need cable management and a privacy panel, preferably with a slatwall. The galant does not provide for either of those and is way over priced.

Lol at the guy that had the balls to say "put the tower on top of your desk". Gee I never thought of that /sarcasm.

Yeah, I know about the Jerker. I know they don't make it anymore. I was going to get one as a throw-away desk from craigslist, Yeah, that's right, believe it or not, I've already heard about craigslist. Anyway, there are no Ikea desks Jerker or otherwise in my area. If you don't believe me check it out for yourselves.

It had definitely occurred to me that I could make my own desk which would be way better than 99% of what's out there. Unfortunately that is not an option for me b/c I live in a 1 br apt. and, like most people, don't own a woodshop!

The next post someone is going to tell me I can make a desk out of shipping boxes and duct tape. Done that before. Not what I'm after.

You start a thread asking for desk ideas, then slam everyone who posts something for you to consider because "you already knew that."

You are total fail.

Just to be clear, I meant the insult this time.

This thread is total fail.

Thanks for telling me about a desk(galant) I already knew about guys!
I already said I'm not spending $400+ for that. It's not going against the wall, it's going in the middle of my living room, so I need cable management and a privacy panel, preferably with a slatwall. The galant does not provide for either of those and is way over priced.

Lol at the guy that had the balls to say "put the tower on top of your desk". Gee I never thought of that /sarcasm.

Yeah, I know about the Jerker. I know they don't make it anymore. I was going to get one as a throw-away desk from craigslist, Yeah, that's right, believe it or not, I've already heard about craigslist. Anyway, there are no Ikea desks Jerker or otherwise in my area. If you don't believe me check it out for yourselves.

It had definitely occurred to me that I could make my own desk which would be way better than 99% of what's out there. Unfortunately that is not an option for me b/c I live in a 1 br apt. and, like most people, don't own a woodshop!

The next post someone is going to tell me I can make a desk out of shipping boxes and duct tape. Done that before. Not what I'm after.

Eh, nowhere in your original post did you mention you needed a privacy panel, and as for not having cable management, the Signum ( http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50035115?ddkey=ProductDisplay ) is very versatile and works quite well.

I'm not still trying to push a desk on you that you obviously don't want, but merely trying to explain why you got the responses you did. In your original post you said you thought the Galant was decent, but the price was hard to justify. We tried to justify it for you.

What a douchebag, plus most galants are less than $300 if you go to the store. Your asking for a desk with slant walls, I am sure thats over $400 buddy. You should be happy that we are trying to help you out. But if you want slant walls and a desk in the center, pop out the coffee table, buy some peechee folders and there ya go a computer table with slant walls. Good luck!

Goddamn, I agree with Pirate. IKEA is bullshit, getting rich off of all you suckers by mass-producing the same cheap crap and then marketing it as chic.

Sorry, Pirate, there are no good desks in your price range. Just save some cash and get one you really like eventually. Don't settle for anything less.

[...] well-built, and has a modern look [...]
[...] Galant desk is decent when accessorized [...]
[...] it's going in the middle of my living room [...]
With this in mind, I would have advised you to consider a Max, by Ferruccio Laviani/Kartell. Two different colors, three sizes, it is not that cheap but believe me, it is worth the money -yes, I have one.

However from what I also read, it may not be what you are searching for, so feel free to flame :)

+1 for Ikea + Galant

Galant = table of the [H]Forumers.

rofl lian li desks, classy, yet insanely expensive and completely out of any normal persons price range

+1 for anything from IKEA

most of the stuff from IKEA is junk, you would be hard pressed to find a "good" quality desk. I paid roughly 200 for my desk off of a site online and its made out of real wood rather then press board.

Hubby bought a 6' conference room table in pristine condition for ~$300 from a used office supply place and added an adjustable 3M keyboard tray. It's big, elegant, and looks like real furniture instead of some cheezy little desk/table. Lots of room for his 27" monitor, oversized server case tower and anything else you could imagine. :)

Back