Who is using a Blackberry?

Who is still using a Blackberry? (and why)

• I am by personal choice, and love it!

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • I am by personal choice, but wish to upgrade to a different phone.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I am, but only because it's a work phone.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • I dont.

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have a bold 9000 running OS 5.0 but only because I get it free through work. Hoping to get a Nexus One in the next few weeks and just swap my SIM over, my company doesn't force me to use BB, it's just the phone they provided.

I think it's a decent phone, but sucks at everything else.

i have had the Pearl, storm 1 and 2, and i am glad i have switched to the android OS (currently moto droid, and waiting for droid incredible on thursday 29th). But i am interested to see how RIM will do with their OS 6.0, if it will be anything close to the OS capabilities that other platforms.

I still think in the business/work world blackberrys rule.

Not since getting an iPhone, last September. Won't go back to a BB, either. The screen is too small after using a touchscreen. I'm looking forward to the HTC Evo in a few months.

Thought about an iphone, but I was worried id catch i-HIV. Plus my friends that have them made numerous comments about poor battery life and poor reception, even in metropolitan areas. My BB, it works and does everything I need it do, minus a snazzy touch screen.

1 BB 8530 sits in my house unused while it keep toughing it out with a crappy Motorola Q9C and a precious $30/month SERO contract...

I'm currently using the bold 9000, but I plan to move to an i9000 samsung galaxy if it comes to AT&T. I don't use enough data on the blackberry to justify it (web browsing is horrible, though much improves with opera mini). email and texting productivity is unmatched though.

Last edited:
I use the original Storm, it's okay, but random OS issues (using 5.0), very limited app space, still some glitches at times that cause me to do battery pulls, and the normal browser is horrible.

I'm really thinking of getting the Droid Incredible when it hits this week.

Blackberry 8900 here running 5.0. I don't use my phone for much besides e-mail, texting, music, and YA KNOW as a phone. I will eventually get an Android device but I can't say I'm in a hurry. Blackberry does everything I need it to really and it does it all pretty decently.

Also if you ever HAVE to web browse, Bolt > Opera in pretty much every way. Can't stand browsing the web on ANY phone personally so it's only used for "emergencies".

Blackberry 8900 here running 5.0. I don't use my phone for much besides e-mail, texting, music, and YA KNOW as a phone. I will eventually get an Android device but I can't say I'm in a hurry. Blackberry does everything I need it to really and it does it all pretty decently.

Also if you ever HAVE to web browse, Bolt > Opera in pretty much every way. Can't stand browsing the web on ANY phone personally so it's only used for "emergencies".

If you are happy with your BB now, it can be a disappointing switch (though I am sure some people are happy with it). Good friend of mine went from a BB to a Droid recently. He paid the AT&T ETF and everything to jump ship. He was happy as a clam for a few weeks, downloaded tons of Android apps, was doing all sorts of stuff he could not do with the BB and showing it off. Now after having the Droid for a couple months, the "new toy" feeling has worn off. He is going to switch back to a BB because the Droid is not as good for texting/email and using as an actual phone.

Last edited:
I use a bold 9700. Its the type of phone work required so its what I have. Had nothing but HTC for the past 5 years and miss certain aspects of them but for work this thing is perfect at what it does.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

If you are happy with your BB now, it can be a disappointing switch (though I am sure some people are happy with it). Good friend of mine went from a BB to a Droid recently. He paid the AT&T ETF and everything to jump ship. He was happy as a clam for a few weeks, downloaded tons of Android apps, was doing all sorts of stuff he could not do with the BB and showing it off. Now after having the Droid for a couple months, the "new toy" feeling has worn off. He is going to switch back to a BB because the Droid is not as good for texting/email and using as an actual phone.

That's one of the things I'm afraid of personally. I also use my BB as my MP3 player in my truck and I really don't want to have to fiddle with a touchscreen while I'm driving, I like not having to look at my phone to change tracks. As much as I want to try some of the cool apps and what not my phone should be a phone first and everything else second. If it's not as good for texting, E-Mail, or calling people as my Blackberry is then just throw it in the garbage.

My BB Storm is a pretty dismal device. It's slow, buggy, the interface feels like it's from 1999, and there's hardly any interesting apps for it. The one thing it does "well" is my Hotmail email, which is mostly why I still hang on to it. I'm definitely junking the thing when my contract renews in August, but what I will get remains to be seen. I wanted an Incredible, and I still do, but Verizon just won't let me upgrade early and I'm not paying $500+ for a phone.

Two at my house. My wife and i have tours (9630).
Im going to make the jump to the evo 4g phone. My wife would never leave her BB. Its too important to her.

She'll change her tune once she sees all the magic you can produce from Android. Happened in my house, the woman seriously wants her own Droid now that I've been wowing her with mine.

She'll change her tune once she sees all the magic you can produce from Android. Happened in my house, the woman seriously wants her own Droid now that I've been wowing her with mine.
i guess we'll see. When i got my tour last year, she wasnt too impressed with it, not worth spending $200 for the upgrade from the 8330. The only reason she got it is because her screen broke and it was past upgrade time. So if she falls in love with it, then she has to wait til december.

BB still makes the best business oriented email devices around. Can't do all the fun but extraneous stuff as well, but for people who use them primarily as email devices for work, they are great. Droid has the right idea with integrated keyboard though. The BB with the touchscreen (which my wife has) may be the worst device ever created.

I've had a blackberry as a personal phone since before they would see them to consumers(when they were business only). Right now I have a curve that I've had a while. Phone works great. The sprint gps software works well. Past that I could care less for most of the apps I see people using on their iphones, palms, etc. I have a few apps on mine phone that I use and thats about it.

Work phone is a pearl. I have my work email going to my personal blackberry so I picked up a pearl because it was the best small phone my works provider had. Thing kicks ass as a phone but doesn't hold up if you want to type on it. Prob going to get one of the newer droid phones for work next since I need to support them.

I use an 8330 because I have Sprint Sero and I can't get any cool phones without upgrading to a higher plan or paying an extra $10 month for a different smartphone that can be activated on SERO.

Still rocking a 8330 on Sprint as well.

... at least until tomorrow, when my Incredible gets here.

The 8330 is a good solid phone that's survived two liquid submersions and innumerable knocks and drops, but for me, its time has come. :)

sporting an 8310, but will be rocking an evo when they come out - Blackberrys suck, I want a smart phone, Blackberry would like to think they're smart, but they ride the telephony "short bus"

I think it's funny reading everyone's posts about how they still have their old, worn-out, blackberry, and they can't wait until their shiny new Android/iPhone arrives.

In my opinion, coming from a Storm-Curve-iPhone-Nexus One-Bold 9700(in order), you'll all be back to the Blackberry or something with an external keyboard a few months after the switch. Until the iPhone can multi-task, there is absolutely no touch screen on the market that has the usability and reliability of a Blackberry. The mere mention of touch sensitive buttons, dual cancelling microphones, and AMOLED screens are going to make you cringe in about 3 months. You obviously have to figure it out for yourself, but in my experience, the iPhone is the only touchscreen that is actually enjoyable to use as a texing/emailing device and a phone. But until OS4 brings us background tasks, I'll keep my Bold any day.

I think it's funny reading everyone's posts about how they still have their old, worn-out, blackberry, and they can't wait until their shiny new Android/iPhone arrives.

In my opinion, coming from a Storm-Curve-iPhone-Nexus One-Bold 9700(in order), you'll all be back to the Blackberry or something with an external keyboard a few months after the switch. Until the iPhone can multi-task, there is absolutely no touch screen on the market that has the usability and reliability of a Blackberry. The mere mention of touch sensitive buttons, dual cancelling microphones, and AMOLED screens are going to make you cringe in about 3 months. You obviously have to figure it out for yourself, but in my experience, the iPhone is the only touchscreen that is actually enjoyable to use as a texing/emailing device and a phone. But until OS4 brings us background tasks, I'll keep my Bold any day.

I have a quick reply to that ..

Im one of the biggest BB advocates. I just want to try something new, fresh, and different from what i have had for the last 3 years. If this doesnt pan out then i guess i will be back to a BB phone next year, but for now, let us learn the hard way. Change is good, last i recall.

I've been using a BB for the last 5 years, about time for a change. Going to the verizon store today to check out the incredible, most likely going to upgrade to that!

Still rocking a 8330 on Sprint as well.

... at least until tomorrow, when my Incredible gets here.

The 8330 is a good solid phone that's survived two liquid submersions and innumerable knocks and drops, but for me, its time has come. :)

Dude, same thing here. My 8330 has take a LOT of shit and a couple of hand washings. I am thinking of going Incredible as well. Waiting for you other guys to guinea pig it.

I just played with the Incredible, and I must say, it is one fine piece of [H]ardware! Going from the droid it is smoking fast!

Back