Who is going to get a 2900xt on the first day?

I'll wait for the refresh... why? because his release seems identical to the x1800 release a year and a half ago... numerous delays, average performance relative to competition, and no price advantage over nvidia.

2900XT seems like a tempting card but I think I´ll start to move to the mid range cards, there is just no good games for me, so why spend big bucks on 3dmark 3D card. My X1900XTX seems to do quite a good job still so no rush here. I will see how mid range r600 cards perform and maybe get one of those if they manage to beat Nvidias equals.

No, not on the first day, especially if it ships at 80nm. I'll stick it out until 65nm becomes available, maybe later this year. I want that 1 gb of video ram in particular so perhaps I'll end up waiting until the XTX or its replacement comes out.

No way in hell until it is at 65nm, and they fix the problems with the new architecture (see Nvidia 8800GTX).

Hehe. I'm using a 6600. ;)

I needs me a new card darnit!

I hear ya. I have 2x6600, but still a bit lacking. Most everyone else who is saying no already has a much better solution than we do. And ws gaming ftw.

Waiting for the refreshes here. Not going to pick up anything until preliminary DX10 numbers are in. Whoever is best gets my moola.

I'll be picking up two of them plus a C2D board wih dual 16x Crossfire and DDR2-1066 support to use them on. Wait a minute,that board doesn't exist! Guess I'll just wait for the Nvidia price drop and buy two 8800s then. DAAMIT, you have dropped the ball big-time...

i'll get it when it comes out only if it performs better than 8800gts 640mb and its under $400,

otherwise, NO WAY JOSE!

I'm pretty sure it will beat a GTS in performance. Not in every game and setting, but overall.

I am not sure if this makes any difference at all but I will ask anyway.
Will it perform better with a:
6-pin + 6-pin
OR
6 pin + 8-pin
at standard clocks. To guess it would seem that it should make no difference at all. But I still wonder if it would make any difference in stability or performance between the 2 plugging options. I hope to see a review that address this.

I'm really interested in what the 2600 will have to offer because the 2900XT pricing is going to come in above my budget. I'm entirely underwhelmed by the 8600 with a seemingly large performance gap between it and the 8800 GTS. If ATI can hit that gap with pricing close to the 8600's current that'll be a "buy with extreme prejudice".

Certainly not. I learned my lesson buying the 8800 on release day and suffering for months on end even to this day waiting for optimized and feature rich drivers. 6 months after vista's release and I am still running on 3 month old bare bones drivers because every version they release sucks a little more than the previous version.

Never again.

Certainly not. I learned my lesson buying the 8800 on release day and suffering for months on end even to this day waiting for optimized and feature rich drivers. 6 months after vista's release and I am still running on 3 month old bare bones drivers because every version they release sucks a little more than the previous version.

Never again.

This is also why some people are waiting to buy an ATi card on the release day, not buying a nVidia card already.

On paper this thing looks very good. Taking all the rumors with a pile of salt, I'll wait til Brent tells us how it fares. Worst case scenario, gts/gtx prices drop and my choice gets harder.

If it's a great card, then yeah I'll get it on the 14th. Vid card is only thing I'm waiting on now to complete my new build.

This sums up my exact situation. I too will be waiting to read a review or 2, however its getting hard to wait, as I have a complete machine just itching for one of these babies.

wow this tread has taken off a little bit :D I just got an email from xfx that they FINALLY got my RMA, took almost a month because the post office messed up the shipping! So if i get it back before the 14th or soon after I might just wait for the dust to settle. the xt still seems like it will have more of the extra features I am looking for and if the price is right it may still be the next card i pick up. Seems like the general consensus it to wait and see. Also that if you already have a 8800 you wont be needing a 2900. Seems right to me since i skipped the 8800 when i had a 7900gt.

I really need a new video card cause my ePenis is shrinking like I stepped into cold water. Every since I 'upgraded' to Vista, and a 24" 1920x1200 LCD, my X800XL acts like it has not hit puberty yet.

Hopefully the 2900XT will be like Enzite for my male ePenis performance problem. Who knows, the renewed life in my computer may lead to a better sex life too. :D

I can't imagine making the decision to buy a $400+ card without actually knowing for sure how well it performs, but that's me.

I may get one on day one if I'm convinced that it's a good buy. That's about as good an answer as I can give right now.

I really need a new video card cause my ePenis is shrinking like I stepped into cold water. Every since I 'upgraded' to Vista, and a 24" 1920x1200 LCD, my X800XL acts like it has not hit puberty yet.

Hopefully the 2900XT will be like Enzite for my male ePenis performance problem. Who knows, the renewed life in my computer may lead to a better sex life too. :D

Sounds like you need to get the OEM version.

Back