Who else thinks DLC is just an evil money grab lacking content?

Dont buy games that peddle DLC, dont buy games that dont have dedicated servers, dont buy games that dont offer proper widescreen or multiscreen support, dont buy games with restrictive DLC, dont buy games that require you to be online to play single player... The list of games to buy is getting really small these days :p

And yet somehow I find myself with so many games to play that I don't have time to play them all. Funny, that. Maybe there are games other than the ones that spend 3x their development budget on marketing? No wai!

I don't mind DLC so much depending on price versus content.

I find it annoying though when you're paying to unlock content already present on the disc but if a company wishes to charge a fee for new content (Reasonably priced or no) who are we to stop them? It's a completely voluntary transaction.

That's not to say free dlc isn't awesome though, haha.

The only way to send a message to developers/publishers how much you don't like DLC is to NOT BUY IT... to this day I have never spent a dime on any DLC.. I just don't believe in it...

thats what a DLC is supposed to be, they sell you the game in a "complete" state, for a fixed price, and keep adding on small bits of content that may add roughly 1 hour of entertainment at roughly 20% cost of what you paid for the game. In doing so the studio has a stream of revenue for said title which they produce DLCs for.

back in the day DLCs were called expansion packs, and usually added a substantial amount of content (more than a DLC anyway) that tied into the game in greater depth and added many more hours of fresh gameplay in the form of new units , maps, missions and story.

I hate DLC. It seems as if they developers rushed to release the game and dont try as hard to make a wonderful game. Instead they wait for people to complain and dont release Betas. And for them to keep their community big in game they release "map packs" for more money. What ever happened to just patches like in PC games.

Isn't the cost and development cycle for modern games nowadays (Game-depending of course) pretty expensive?

Potential quality and pricing issues aside, what's wrong with a company trying to get more of a return on it's investment?

yea. back when cod4 was out. A new map update was called a patch for pc. Now adays new maps are called DLC. Weird referring to that as DLC.

Naturally though it varies from company to company. Like I love how the DLC for L4D1 & 2 has been free on the pc from Valve.

But it really depends from game to game.

Or vote by just waiting a year for the ultimate or GOTY edition. I'll probably be doing a lot more of that.

very reasonable, and quite honestly the best option if you absolutely do NOT want to miss out on a game, either that or wait for steam sales.

Dont buy games that peddle DLC, dont buy games that dont have dedicated servers, dont buy games that dont offer proper widescreen or multiscreen support, dont buy games with restrictive DLC, dont buy games that require you to be online to play single player... The list of games to buy is getting really small these days

I have a huge backlog, PC isn't the only platform I play on.

While that sounds great on paper, millions of people have to agree to do something like that. That's like suggesting nobody buy another Nickelback record because everything sounds the same. Well, unless all 5 million people agree, it doesn't matter.
To get a backlash in this industry, someone has to do something pretty horrible...or suggest that piracy is a problem.

There's some truth in that, but at least you aren't contributing to the problem by shelling out YOUR money for it, just cause 5 million dumbasses go and do something doesn't mean you have to.

The only way to send a message to developers/publishers how much you don't like DLC is to NOT BUY IT... to this day I have never spent a dime on any DLC.. I just don't believe in it...

Hallelujah, amen brother.

I still haven't found any DLC that I think is worth the price.

However, over at the mod database I have found plenty of extra free content!

I don't mind DLC if it actually adds to the game. I never minded purchasing expansion packs in the past as they were usually 75% as long as the actual game was. They typically added new weapons and features as well. That's worth the $29.99 price tag. Asking for $10 or $15 for four maps? Blow me.

I have all the DLC for CoDMW2 only because Steam had a badass sale on it. They were 50% off and I like the trailer park map. :D

trailer park is, hands down, the best 'new' map from either pack. It's very well done :)

Most of the DLC is simply not worth the money. I say it in every one of these threads, but the only good example of DLC I've ever played was the Secret Armory of General Knoxx for Borderlands. Other than that, they're almost universally insubstantial, short and uninteresting.

I'm really getting sick of all the BS DLC releases on Xbox.
Back in the day it was an expansion pack with patching updates.
No every little fracking add on is a DLC. :mad:

BOOOOOOO!
Goes back to playing Starcraft 2 :cool:

Cost in R&D of the most successful gaming platform in history: $5 Billion
Cost in RMA of arguably the biggest consumer level part failure in history: $1.2 Billion
The knowledge that those savings will be past on to you, the consumer, as an Xbox owner: Priceless.

There's some things you really cant buy for the PC platform, for everything else, enjoy forking over another $10 for MS points.

this has been going on for a while, but the most asinine development these days imo are those "platform exclusive" launch/preorder dlc. like if you buy on ps3, you get these skins and features, or if you bought on 360, you can only get some others. then pc, if it ever comes out at all, depending on the situation you either get them for free or sold later in a pack. the point is they're artificial "incentives" to create value in multiple systems, advantages that don't actually exist unless they're removed from the game.

either way I look at it like this, would the game be "feature complete" without these items? some of them are superficial and don't matter to gameplay, others are more substantial elements that really detract from the game when they're not included. mafia2 is a good example of a poorly butchered game, and what really makes me laugh is when modders figure out how to unlock all the content that was stripped out for other platforms. we can see that everything is included in the files, and sometimes it's just a matter of modifying a simple lua script to bring them back, these publishers really have brass balls to go about it this way.

Because SC2 didn't leave out any content with the intention of making you buy it down the road...

but can you argue that they left out any features important to the game, and this chapter of the story? so far everything that they did includes the complete terran experience, not to mention constant balancing patches, and endless laddering/custom mode mp for all races.

Last edited:
I'm really getting sick of all the BS DLC releases on Xbox.
Back in the day it was an expansion pack with patching updates.
No every little fracking add on is a DLC. :mad:

BOOOOOOO!
Goes back to playing Starcraft 2 :cool:

I approve of this post and agree.

100% agree. DLC is a cancer to gaming. It's companies trying to nickel and dime. Worst part is it divides up the multiplayer base between those who buy and those who don't which leads to a shorter lifespan for the game and less sales. I can't help but think people where much more inclined to buy an expansion pack.

Whenever I see DLC gaming news I totally ignore it. I have to many games to play to worry about a couple more hours or added content for extortion prices.

I think DLC should be free. I remember back in the good old days of PC gaming before the Xbox360,PS3 came out, with Games like Battlefield 1942, CS 1.6, CS:S, and a slew of other games, all bonus content was free, and users were allowed to make their own content and distribute it to others. If I remember correctly, with the original Call of Duty, the kill-cam was a mod created by a user, along with putting a red-dot sight one of the Guns (cant remember which one) and now its standard in all CoD games. I think once you drop the 50-60$ on a Game, any and all content pertaining to that game that comes out after the original release of the retail game, should be free. I understand that making games now a days cost a lot more money then it used to, but 60$ per game, is quite a nice amount to recoup that cost. This is just my opinion.

Its just a ploy to get more money out of people. They probably have all the content ready at launch but purposely withhold some of it to be released as DLC.

So 50 dollar game + 2 or 3 DLC's turns into a 60-80 dollar game. It just doesn't feel that way to people because there not shelling out 60-80 bucks at launch, but ultimately thats what most people pay for there games now days.

I have a solution fellas

it's called

VOTING WITH YOUR FUCKING WALLET

simply don't buy games that leave out content in order to peddle you DLC

simple

It doesn't work. I haven't bought a whole heaps of games that came with pay-to-unlock DLC, restrictive DRM, no dedicated servers, etc and they all go on to sell extremely well and reinforce these business decisions so that they persist.

How many people here went and bought Mafia II, for instance?

It doesn't work. I haven't bought a whole heaps of games that came with pay-to-unlock DLC, restrictive DRM, no dedicated servers, etc and they all go on to sell extremely well and reinforce these business decisions so that they persist.

How many people here went and bought Mafia II, for instance?

you say it doesn't work

yet when YOU are not throwing your money away on those games and DLC's, you're not contributing to the problem either.

trust me, even though i might not be making a measureable difference, i sure as shit am not helping add to their bottom line either.

What is the deal with mafia 2. I've heard a lot of people give it shit. I was thinking about picking it up cause i enjoyed the demo. So is it because of dlc or what ?

100% agree. DLC is a cancer to gaming. It's companies trying to nickel and dime. Worst part is it divides up the multiplayer base between those who buy and those who don't which leads to a shorter lifespan for the game and less sales. I can't help but think people where much more inclined to buy an expansion pack.

Whenever I see DLC gaming news I totally ignore it. I have to many games to play to worry about a couple more hours or added content for extortion prices.

for sure, i bought halo 3 to play some multiplayer(i know console game ahhhhh) but was only like 16 bux..well i can only play 2 modes of gameplay with a max player cap of like 10 players. and to play more modes i have to purchase map packs...not pricey,but in total something like 20bux on top of the 16 i paid from the store.im probaly gonna return it.

i have purchased some DLC. Some is hit or miss.

What is the deal with mafia 2. I've heard a lot of people give it shit. I was thinking about picking it up cause i enjoyed the demo. So is it because of dlc or what ?

if you want an example, let's take the in game auto shop. there's a supercharger modification you can buy to tune up your cars for faster acceleration, that was stripped out to be exclusive for either xbox or ps3 (one or both forget which), so anybody playing on pc is missing a complete upgrade option for driving. this is not some skin or paint decals we're talking about, it's an actual part of the gameplay, something that affects driving mechanics.

there's a bunch more but I choose this one, since it was easily edited back into the game by modders after launch. so if you want, you can patch your files to get it back. then what about those who don't know about it or how to do it? they're stuck with a bunk version of the game. can you say that this significantly detracts from the experience? absofuckinglutely imo.

not to mention the bullshit "jimmy's vendetta" dlc xpac released 2 weeks after launch, clearly just a bunch of side missions that were blatantly ripped from the game.

Last edited:
I'm not even thinking about Mafia 2 until there is some sort of ultimate all inclusive package on sale somewhere down the line in the future.

if you want an example, let's take the in game auto shop. there's a supercharger modification you can buy to tune up your cars for faster acceleration, that was stripped out to be exclusive for either xbox or ps3 (one or both forget which), so anybody playing on pc is missing a complete upgrade option for driving. this is not some skin or paint decals we're talking about, it's an actual part of the gameplay, something that affects driving mechanics.

there's a bunch more but I choose this one, since it was easily edited back into the game by modders after launch. so if you want, you can patch your files to get it back. then what about those who don't know about it or how to do it? they're stuck with a bunk version of the game. can you say that this significantly detracts from the experience? absofuckinglutely imo.

not to mention the bullshit "jimmy's vendetta" dlc xpac released 2 weeks after launch, clearly just a bunch of side missions that were blatantly ripped from the game.

Thats messed up. As a PC gamer and a PS3 and Xbox360 owner, all this DLC bullshit bothers me. Especially what I've just heard about mafia 2. I was gonna buy mafia 2 for my pc but now i dont even think i want it. No matter how much i likes the demo. Im tired of companies focusing on just the money aspect of the buisness and causing our wallets to pay the price. It makes me wonder what the people who actually design these gamed feel about this. Cause its not them who make these decisions.

game companies are moving from small and independant to corporation style with all the greedy practices that follow

IMO depends on the game.

Take Borderlands for example, the original game was so big that it does not feel like they were taking away from the main game into a DLC.

Assassin's Creed II on the other hand, they "corrupted" two memory sequences and provided them later as DLCs. I still bought them since I love the AC games however I won't buy for other games for example.

Back