Who do you use for online backup?

Dropbox? If that counts. I use the free one. I don't trust online (off site) storage. Anything important in dropbox is in TC...now Vera crypt containers.

If i used off site it would have to be a home made set up using my own VPN network given how the government has become ridiculous in every way.

I back up locally for stuff I want backed up but don't care if I lose. For stuff I want saved for sure I use either OneDrive or Google Drive (depending on how I feel that month). If something gets deleted I can still recover from their online recycle bin.

Crashplan / Crashplan Pro is fine for relatively small amounts of data. But their software seems to choke at around 750GB - at that point it seems to start over. And it doesn't use anywhere near the total bandwidth available - right now my test rig is using 3 mbps out of the 100 mbps connection.

Backblaze is fine for consumer level backup but also doesn't use most of the bandwidth available. Seems to be hard coded to use no more than 5 mbps. Backblaze tech support denies this, but that's been my experience. BB will also delete your data if your system is offline for more than 30 days.

Cloudberry Lab's desktop software is OK, somewhat inefficient though. It uses cloud services, one has to set up an account with Azure, AWS or another vendor so there's more involved using it.

I've been most satisfied using my own Rsync server at a datacenter and backing up over SSH. I back up ~50 servers that way every night. Currently over 25 terabytes on my main backup server, it works great.

TARSNAP

its UBER CHEAP and you generate your own crypto keys so they dont have access to your data.

SOS online backup.

I have tried most of the others, but this one is the best. It uses all of my bandwidth so that it uploads quickly, and if I need to restore, it will also max out my bandwidth so the download is fast as well.

BB will also delete your data if your system is offline for more than 30 days..

I haven't found that to be the case at all, at least for the annual subscription. I just helped with a restore for someone to a new computer and the old computer was taken offline more than 4 months prior. Restore went as expected.

CrashPlan. Have 18.5TB stored there now for just $4/mo. They max out my 5Mbit upload always and all my restores max out my 35Mbit download too.

Backblaze. I don't have any apparent upload limitations as I've seen it has high as 12mbps.

Crashplan / Crashplan Pro is fine for relatively small amounts of data. But their software seems to choke at around 750GB - at that point it seems to start over. And it doesn't use anywhere near the total bandwidth available - right now my test rig is using 3 mbps out of the 100 mbps connection.

Backblaze is fine for consumer level backup but also doesn't use most of the bandwidth available. Seems to be hard coded to use no more than 5 mbps. Backblaze tech support denies this, but that's been my experience. BB will also delete your data if your system is offline for more than 30 days.

Cloudberry Lab's desktop software is OK, somewhat inefficient though. It uses cloud services, one has to set up an account with Azure, AWS or another vendor so there's more involved using it.

I've been most satisfied using my own Rsync server at a datacenter and backing up over SSH. I back up ~50 servers that way every night. Currently over 25 terabytes on my main backup server, it works great.

Looks like an awesome approach! When reading about how it efficiently compares two versions before syncing, I would like AWESOME! Downloading the Windows version to try out.

Until now, I been using CrashPlan, mainly because it allows the client to encrypt before copying.

Anyway to combine Rsync with some sort of encryption before syncing?

CrashPlan. Have 18.5TB stored there now for just $4/mo. They max out my 5Mbit upload always and all my restores max out my 35Mbit download too.

That's interesting because while the uploads are fast the downloads I've done to test it have been horribly slow. Tried multiple systems, different times of day and it's horrible.

Mozy is the same thing. I know two people with Mozy and downloading something more than 200-500MB is so damn slow.

Odd. I have 1.04 TB with them and haven't had an issue. Been almost 3 years, too. I guess I'm "non-traditional" in a sense - as I just use a script to backup to a single box and then Crashplan backs up a directory from that box.

Back