Who designs a motherboard like that!?

RobotChild

Gawd
I picked up a Sono VK 2208 Hawk for a Myth TV rig I'm making.
After installing it in the case I look at it.
950_p2_1.jpg

Apparently that thought it would be a good idea to put the RAM next to the AGP slot.

I won't be able to put the video card in (FX 5700 Ultra) that board.

So, I'm in need of a different socket A MoBo that uses SD RAM (I'm trying to spend little money on this project as possible, and I had spare SD RAM)

OR

How should I mod the clips to allow the card?

I was thinking that.
Well, with a pair of pliars or something.

Just remove the bottom clips?

mdameron said:
Did you buy that new?

If so, why would you do something like that?
Of course not!

I had it lying around, I was using an Nvidia Vanta LT (When I was using this) so I never had the issue.

RobotChild said:
Of course not!

I had it lying around, I was using an Nvidia Vanta LT (When I was using this) so I never had the issue.

And there is the answer to your question.
When that board was designed, the availability of video cards that were 97 inches long was very low.

By TODAY's standards, there are SEVERAL things wrong with that board.

The pci slots reach out over the ides.. makes putting in long pci cards difficult too..such as an areca multilaner card.

There's 3 memory slots, so, the non existent dual channel tech wouldn't work there.

There are capacitors really close to the socket. so, a heatpipe heatsink might have problems...

Yes, I know by today's standards there are plenty of things wrong.
The AGP beside the RAM was a bad idea.
If the card didn't end at the AGP connectore your hooped.
Even a RAGE 128 Pro, which is a small card, only 2 cm longer than the Vanta does not fit properly.

If I was going to disine a mobo, it would be a even better idea to put the cpu slot right in front of the PCI-E slot and the ram next to the PCI slots, the FDD and HDD connectors inbetween each PCI slot and make them off by a few mm's so nothing will actoully fit, and the power connector inbeween a monsterous row of tall fat 16v caps around it to make it impossible to get to the power connector just to annoy the hell out of somebody. :p That would really get somebody going just because its evil wrong to make such a thing on perpous. :D Ba hahahaha, who ever made this mobo was drunk and retardo silly. Where did they get there PHD from to desine mobos... the computer collage of the mentally challanged. ;)

Well, it is a Canadian company.

:p That was a joke. I'm Canadian.
Or like the beer commercials, "I Am Canadian!".

is that a "soyo" board, not a "sono"? and is that an isa slot on the bottom, or some kind of proprietary thing? i sort of remember some early dual channel boards having 3 dimm slots. you could put put 2x256mb and 1x512mb for dual channel 1gb, for example.
nice bios chip. its about the size of an ipod.

Back