Who actually has a problem sending card in for RMA after the stock HSF is removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airborne_mtrs

Limp Gawd
The reason I am asking is because I see a lot of people on here saying “If you overclocked your card/removed the stock HSF you are a scumbag if you send it in for RMA”. Hell, I am guilty myself of saying that but, it is usually when someone is full of shit. Like the guy who was trying to kill his 9800XT for fun supposedly but there could be no physical damage. Ya right!
I for one will always replace the stock HSF with an aftermarket cooler because they do a better job keeping the core cool. IMO it seems better for the card and will probably prolong its life.
I have never had to RMA a card before but, if I did, I wouldn’t think twice about sending it in for a new one.

Unless the mod you did is the cause of damage, they have to honor the warranty. That goes for computer components as well as automobiles. Many companies will try to screw you though if they think they can get away with it.

On the other hand, if one caused the damage from overclocking it is unethical to try and RMA it or use the warranty. I wouldn't do it. If you want to play you should be ready to pay :)

airborne_mtrs said:
The reason I am asking is because I see a lot of people on here saying “If you overclocked your card/removed the stock HSF you are a scumbag if you send it in for RMA”. Hell, I am guilty myself of saying that but, it is usually when someone is full of shit. Like the guy who was trying to kill his 9800XT for fun supposedly but there could be no physical damage. Ya right!
I for one will always replace the stock HSF with an aftermarket cooler because they do a better job keeping the core cool. IMO it seems better for the card and will probably prolong its life.
I have never had to RMA a card before but, if I did, I wouldn’t think twice about sending it in for a new one.

Wow you're a piece of work. Pretty much you call the other guy a scumbag and a liar. Then you turn around and say that after YOU void your warranty buy replacing the stock cooler for a higher overclock, that you'd RMA the card in a second if it died.

You sir are a two faced p.o.s..

ThomasE66 said:
On the other hand, if one caused the damage from overclocking it is unethical to try and RMA it or use the warranty. I wouldn't do it. If you want to play you should be ready to pay :)

I agree with that. Although, I have mildly overclocked my card a few times usually to run a benchmark or something and if my card died while it was OC'ed I would be ass out. On the other hand though, if it had been a while since I OC'ed I don't think that would have been the reason it died.

Mister E said:
You sir are a two faced p.o.s..

Well, your entitled to your opinion but, when someone is publicly stating that they are causing damage to their card for an obvious RMA I will call them a scumbag all day long.

I really hope all your future RMA's get DENIED!! Little irresponsible kids like you are part of the reason video cards cost $500+ dollars.

"Mommy mommy I need to ship my grafixs card to the manufaxurer cause sumthings wrong with it." :(

Mister E said:
I really hope all your future RMA's get DENIED!! Little irresponsible kids like you are part of the reason video cards cost $500+ dollars.

"Mommy mommy I need to ship my grafixs card to the manufaxurer cause sumthings wrong with it." :(

Haha...I am 34 years old. I earn my own money for my graphics cards.

airborne_mtrs said:
Haha...I am 34 years old. I earn my own money for my graphics cards.

Then try not to rip off the vendor you buy from. You should understand what it means to work to earn money. If you damage a card and them RMA it, you are directly impacting the vendor's profits. It's unethical, possibly illegal, and just plain wrong.

ThomasE66 said:
Then try not to rip off the vendor you buy from. You should understand what it means to work to earn money. If you damage a card and them RMA it, you are directly impacting the vendor's profits. It's unethical, possibly illegal, and just plain wrong.

Again, I agree with you. But, If someone OC's a card for a benchmark and then droppes it down to stock and the card lives for 2 or 3 more years do you really think the OC had anything to do with its death?
And again, like I have stated I have never had to RMA anything. I just thought it would be an interesting topic since I see it all the time.

airborne_mtrs said:
Again, I agree with you. But, If someone OC's a card for a benchmark and then droppes it down to stock and the card lives for 2 or 3 more years do you really think the OC had anything to do with its death?
And again, like I have stated I have never had to RMA anything. I just thought it would be an interesting topic since I see it all the time.

Understood. I personally would not RMA anything that I ever overclocked. It *will* shorten the life of components. That's just me though, I'm sure a lot of people would do as you suggest might be done.

ThomasE66 said:
Understood. I personally would not RMA anything that I ever overclocked. It *will* shorten the life of components. That's just me though, I'm sure a lot of people would do as you suggest might be done.

I can’t argue with that.

If there is any, and I mean any, chance that my modification damaged the product, then I will not return it for RMA. So far, there has not been a chance where I could say that my modifications were not the cause of failure, so I have not RMA'ed anything that has been modded. Everything failed at some point beyond the mod. Gotta pay to play.

Little irresponsible kids like you are part of the reason video cards cost $500+ dollars.

or you can say it like this...the reason people rip off the vendor is because they charge $500+ for a card that costs them $50 to make. Put it this way if i fried my 6800gt and it only costs $200 for a new one id probably just go buy one because id rather not go through the rma process but if i fried it and it costs $500+ to replace then i might get nvidia to eat the $50 it cost them to make it

cell_491 said:
or you can say it like this...the reason people rip off the vendor is because they charge $500+ for a card that costs them $50 to make. Put it this way if i fried my 6800gt and it only costs $200 for a new one id probably just go buy one because id rather not go through the rma process but if i fried it and it costs $500+ to replace then i might get nvidia to eat the $50 it cost them to make it

Nobody is forcing you to buy any video card period. If you fry it, you should eat it regardless of what the replacement costs. Your post smacks of rationalization and moral relativism.

You know, the topic is good. Calling someone a POS isn't.

Check yourself before calling someone anything. Id be willing to bet more than half of us have probably compromised our own integrity for some benifit. That doenst have to be a monetery benefit either.

You either walk a straight line or you dont.

Just be nice.

Pkirk618 said:
You know, the topic is good. Calling someone a POS isn't.

Check yourself before calling someone anything. Id be willing to bet more than half of us havve probably compromised our own integrity for some benifit. That doenst have to be a monetery benefit either.

You either walk a straight line or you dont.

Just be nice.

Well said.

Your post smacks of rationalization and moral relativism.
without rationalization there would be no rational thought, id like to see how they rationalize the prices they charge for their parts. oh and dont judge peoples morality its not your place..."let those without sin cast the first stone"-Jesus: somwhere in the Bible. :rolleyes:

My 9800 pro died after I put on a cooler for it. It didn't die because I did something wrong, it died because the directions for the cooler were missing an important step that caused the card to cook itself before I found out that it was missing that step. I still had the stock everything, but I decided to be one of the people in this world that still has an ounce of honesty left, and eat the cost for a new card.

but I decided to be one of the people in this world that still has an ounce of honesty left, and eat the cost for a new card.

lol...is that all you have left? An ounce? Just kidding.

That's great you did the right thing. But how many times have you been wrong, cheated or lied? This really isnt toward you or anything, its a genralized point.

And by the way, quoting the bible means nothing if your location is "go to hell".

...thats exactly why i put that in there, so when people feel they need to judge me they can look right on the edge of the screen and know just what to do :mad:

hey I've already been there lol.

I think your post about rationalization confused some. Rather, I didn't understand it.

I think..not sure...we agree?

In any case, Im done with this thread...I just hate it when people try to wear a halo that doesnt fit.

yea i admit to being a liar, a cheat, a loser, but no one here has the right to judge me or anyone else on that. frankly none of us are angles so SHUT UP...when we get to heaven well get judged by someone who does have the right

I fail to see how those type comments feed into this topic.

Please don't tell me to shut up. Its easy to hide behind words said in a thread isnt it?

If I offended you, I swear it was inadvertent. But dang, some people thrive on being exactly the way you are being.

My points were geared to those calling SOMEBODY (not you) a POS--no matter what, thats just not right. You preached something about the bible and about judgement. Take a chill pill and try to read without hastily posting shit to me.

Damn.

oh, now Im done.

Please don't tell me to shut up. Its easy to hide behind words said in a thread isnt it?

HAHA...dude i wasnt tellin you to shut up, shit you were agreeing with me. i mean all the people who think there perfect little angels

lol...i couldnt tell.. :D

ah, forget it.

Oopsie!!!

I guess i needed it spelled out for me.

Im glad too, I was getting tired of saying this will be my last reply.

I overclock my card and I wouldnt think twice to rma if it broke..

Therefore to answer the question in topic:

No, I dont have a problem.

/puts flame suit on

Emret said:
I overclock my card and I wouldnt think twice to rma if it broke..

Therefore to answer the question in topic:

No, I dont have a problem.

/puts flame suit on

The same would go for most people here, people love playing the "mr ethics" bs here. If their $550 graphics card died from an overclock you honestly think they'd shell out another half a grand if they can get a new one for nothing? Doubt it very much, they'd be on the phone getting an rma number the same as anyone else nomatter what crap they type here and they know it as well.

Chris_B said:
The same would go for most people here, people love playing the "mr ethics" bs here. If their $550 graphics card died from an overclock you honestly think they'd shell out another half a grand if they can get a new one for nothing? Doubt it very much, they'd be on the phone getting an rma number the same as anyone else nomatter what crap they type here and they know it as well.

Whew...I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought that.

Mister E said:

Actually the reason video cards cost $500+ dollars is because "enthusiasts" will pay for them. The overpricing margin is absurd.

ur just the only one who has said anything. until now that is.

they have to be making close to $500 profit off these things. wich means they cost what $45-50 to make maybe even less

and now we have the answer why the cards cost so much. It's a vicous cycle

Also to reply to a poster who was wondering why the cards are marked up so high when it costs them $50 to make. You are right in one aspect. It costs them $50 to make in parts, then they have to pay for R&D, that is where the bulk of the cost of the latest and greatest parts comes from, which is also why when parts get older they get cheaper, becuase they've re-couped the R&D and need to move out the old to make room for the new. Then they have to pay their workers, that's another big part of each card, even if each person only sees one card for an hour, there is still quality control involved, packaging, etc... it still adds up.

then they pay for marketing, advertising, and contests, promos etc.. Then the company needs to make a profit so they bump the price up, then the retailer needs to make a profit so they bump the prices. And on top of all of this there are people who won't accept responsibility if they mess up a card, how many RMA's do you suppose there have been from bad bios flashes of 6800GT's or bad pipeline unlocks from a vanilla 6800. That's not just $50.

If there are missing instructions for the heatsink and it burns the card up, you contact the heatsink vendor not the video card maker. If you break off a capacitor with your heatpipe it's not the cards fault. And if you overclock a card it will shorten it's lifespan because of added stress. This kind of crap is just as bad as the people who write malware and adware to sell their malware and adware removal apps.

It's not a holier than thou type of thing, it's more of how society has changed where people are taught to put themselves ahead of others. It's why teachers get fired for giving C's out for average work and parents get upset. It's why you can sue fast food places for serving hot coffee and you dumping it into your lap while driving through a construction zone breaking the law by going 50 in a 35. Nobody can force people to do the right thing, and most people won't.

cell_491 said:
they have to be making close to $500 profit off these things. wich means they cost what $45-50 to make maybe even less

Well you have to take into account that they pay the employees, develop the technology and all that BS...So I would guess that they only make about 350-450 profit. Times that by how many people buy the cards. Ch-ching!
I don't think that if I RMA'ed a card it would drop ATI or Nivida of the stock market.

I've replaced the stock cooler on my 6800gt and i overclock it past ultra daily, but i wouldnt think twice bout changing the cooler back over and RMA'ing it. I paid the premium so i wouldnt give a shite.

airborne_mtrs said:
Well you have to take into account that they pay the employees, develop the technology and all that BS...So I would guess that they only make about 350-450 profit. Times that by how many people buy the cards. Ch-ching!
I don't think that if I RMA'ed a card it would drop ATI or Nivida of the stock market.

Combined, nVidia and ATI spend about $250 million a year in R&D alone. I think you should re-estimate your numbers.

It's sad if you RMA after you've broken your contract with nVidia or ATi, but there's nothing I can do to stop you.

FunkStar said:
I've replaced the stock cooler on my 6800gt and i overclock it past ultra daily, but i wouldnt think twice bout changing the cooler back over and RMA'ing it. I paid the premium so i wouldnt give a shite.

That's total bs. Maybe it makes you feel better rationalizing it like that, but it's still bad ethics. You paid a premium on it to have a bleeding edge card, not to have the right to abuse a legal contract.

I'm done with this thread. It *was* a valid discussion topic but I just can't take anymore 'i don't care cuz i'm just gonna stick it to the man cuz they charged me too much' crap. Asshats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back