• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Whitebox SAN and VMware / VT-d question

lordsegan

Gawd
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
624
I want to create a ZFS whitebox SAN.

I am considering using a Lenovo TD340 (already owned). It currently has 1 CPU, but it can support 2. I'd like to add a second and use it as a VM host as well.

I considered the option of using VMware with an M1015 in IT mode. If I put the Solaris inside a VM, I would want to VT-d or RDM to map the M1015 drives directly to Solaris. I have read some articles saying it is not supported to use RDM for local drives, and also articles that say VT-d can cause corruption and other issues.

I do plan to have backups (obviously) but I don't want to deal with corruption. Should I just scrap my idea of adding the second CPU and using virtualization and just run the SAN OS on bare metal for minimum problems?

Best practices? Anything else I should be aware of?
 
RDM is not supported within vsphere. You must enable via CLI commands.
I suppose this is mainly due its a technology mainly used at home that can cause
many support questions and problems with some hardware that is supported by ESXi.

Hardware pass-through is the suggested path as it offers real hardware access with
native Solaris/OmniOS HBA drivers. No ESXi layer between. From Solaris view this
is like a barebone setup.

VT-d is very stable on modern server hardware as it requires support from Bios+Mainboard+CPU.
Especially on some older desktop mainboards there were reports that vt-d was not working
although it should according to specs.

I use and recomend this setup for years and wrote a mini HowTo and offer
a ready to use ESXi storage VM based on OmniOS

http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/napp-in-one.pdf
http://www.servethehome.com/omnios-napp-it-zfs-applianc-vmware-esxi-minutes/
 
Back
Top