• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

White Label Magnetic Data Technology harddrives

Bo_Bice

Gawd
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
708
Hi. First post and I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with these harddrives. They are very cheap on pricewatch. a 200gb 7200rpm for $80.

I'm looking for opinions from those who actually have these. Are they reliable? I know people around here prefer raptors for high performance, but im just looking for a big cheap reliable HD to backup data and I've found these HDs to be the cheapest I can find. Thanks.
 
How much is your data worth?
It would be $20 more to buy from a reputable manufacturer with a good 5 year warrenty and solid track record of reliable drives. You're choice
 
Yeah, makes sense, and 5 year warranty is very nice. I'm going to be keeping many vocal audio tracks on the harddrive, so yeah its pretty important.
 
Hard drives don't make especially good backup unless you need several hard drives' worth, or you generate the data very fast. I do a similar thing out of a friend's basement on the side, and we found that it's better to back up a DVD at a time rather than save stuff on hard drives. We put together a NAS system that has a dvd burner (looking for an autoloader) and it looks for projects all the time. You hit up the web interface and it compresses (bzip2) the project to a dvd. If it doesn't fit, it splits it nicely onto N dvds. Then you have the option to delete the project from disk. It also has the option to load a project from dvd to hard drive.

We have a pair of 120gb disks in raid1 (which I'd heartily recommend). That's enough to keep several projects in the air. We use Seagate 7200.7s as a compromise between performance and noise. The studio machine is getting a samsung as soon as we get the money, but it comes slowly.
 
I have two MDT drives, a 120G and a 250G. I honestly wouldn't trust them through much. MDT drives are rebuilt Maxtors.

The 120G lives in my Xbox and stores games, and it randomly spins down from time to time, causing the Xbox to freeze (although I suspect this is a PSU issue rather than the disk).

The 250G is in my server and spins 24/7. Twice it's given the IDE controller "lost interrupt" or "DMA reset" (in the 3 months I've had it), but I still wouldn't trust it in a production box.

Get a real Maxtor or, better, Seagate. It will live longer.
 
outpost is doing one of their seagate 200gb deals that the seem to do once every other month - $60 after rebate for the drive. i'd rather get a 200gb drive with a 5 year warranty for $60AR than $80 no rebate for an unknown name
 
Back
Top