White block artifacts

arr4ws

Supreme [H]ardness
My computer started doing these weird artifacts today.

i3h4nOPl.jpg

When i rebooted they went away. My setup is 1.5 months and never had a single problem since i built it. Played a lot of game on it without a single hitch (even the dreaded arkham knight). Is it related to the vid card? I would assume so , but im not an expert. When i was hovering the mouse over the start icon , the blocks disapeared over the menu , but remained everywhere else.

Now i just updated the drivers to the latest. Im also on windows 7.

Last edited:
I understand , but i NEVER experienced artifacts. I was a little bit stressed , in the meanwhile , i will monitor my rig.

I got a few pink dots that went away when I added a fan to a fanless video card. (Kind of odd it was producing artifacts without a fan because it was a "fanless" card with heatpipes.)

Unless the problem sticks around you are probably fine. I had similar artifacts on my original 670 but after a few hours it became permanent so I had to RMA the card. Mine were pink, white, blue and green all over the screen like in your picture. No reboot or shut down then power up would fix it. Though it displayed the bios messages fine.

After building my new PC, with the MSI GTX970 GAMING video card, I got exactly these white blocky artifacts! It first happened after ~3 hours of using the system, but then it constantly happened, even before booting into Windows.

@arr4ws: have you found out what exactly caused it? I RMA'd my video card, but I'm still not sure if it could be the motherboard causing these problems instead of the video card.

I would check your temps and double check the airflow in your case. Your temps may look fine, but dead spots in your case could cause hot areas around components that don't have sensors. Typical dead spots for air flow are around your power supply if bottom-mounted, and between the CPU and video card. In my case adding a side panel fan for intake resolved these issues.

Back