Whining, rather underwhelming DS3

movax

2[H]4U
Hey folks. Just finished half-assembling my first new system in four years or so, and have noticed a few things wonky. The current parts:

Gigabyte DS3 Rev 1.0
E6420 @ Stock
512 MB of Dell pulled PC2-3200 stuff until my 2GB kit of Ballistix gets in.

Probably not important stuff:
Antec 550
Assortment of SATA drives
GeForce 7300 GS
Antec 900 Case.

The most important thing I've noticed is that well...my DS3 whines. High-pitched, very audible whine. Assuming that capacitors are in fact, high-quality "all-solid", I'm assuming an inductor on the board is losing it? If I RMA this board, I probably won't get a 1.0 back either, will I?

Second is...what exactly is the "cold boot" issue? I think I suffered it earlier when the PC kept restarting as soon as it hit the "Memory Testing" part on POST; clearing CMOS fixed it. I read something about the DS3 restarting twice to apply changes or similar. Is this common/fixable with a BIOS update? IIRC, F10 is loaded on the board right now.

Got my RAM in today, still no good. (http://www.crucial.com/ballistix/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=BL2KIT12864AA804&cat= my RAM).

Board still does the "Arrrgh, kabow boom BAM! I can't...pull...out in time! Must keep restarting futilely!", even with the updated 11F BIOS that purports to support the E6420, and all settings "low" (e.g. auto-detect all, stock stuff). Following the baseline profile in the DS3 OCing thread didn't help either.

I'm just guessing the board is injured from the whining inductor, introducing unstability. I doubt I could have OC'd at all, seeing as it'll only boot with a stupidly low FSB/clock speed.

Whot not RMA it?

Yeah, I believe that's the route I'm going to take. I think I sent an e-mail to Gigabyte in teh right place, so hopefully they'll get back to me with a RMA # or something. (I purchased it from another member, so I can't just RMA to the 'egg or something).

Any expieriences with Gigabyte RMAs here?

Just ordered a P5NE32 from the 'egg, going to try my luck with that while I wait around on a RMA.

Does Gigabyte really care hugely about the CPU socket cover present or not? If so, I need to get one from somewhere... :(

Back