Whining PSU

unholy89

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
280
I recently upgraded my system and my Enermax EG425P-VE Noisetaker developed a electrical whine that varies from quiet to loud. Only thing I see wrong is the +12V. Is it time for a RMA?

untitledyo8.png
 
Yep, RMA it. I had a Antec Smartpower 500watt that had the electrical whine and I RMA'd it. Though this problem was a well know problem with the Smartpower 500watts. I just got the replacement today and the new one seems to be doing it to, :(
 
BMWlover said:
Yep, RMA it. I had a Antec Smartpower 500watt that had the electrical whine and I RMA'd it. Though this problem was a well know problem with the Smartpower 500watts. I just got the replacement today and the new one seems to be doing it to, :(

I suggest you RMA it one more time and sell the replacement they send you. I'm waiting on my third replacement now, and I'm selling it as soon as I get it.
 
unholy89 said:
I recently upgraded my system and my Enermax EG425P-VE Noisetaker developed a electrical whine that varies from quiet to loud. Only thing I see wrong is the +12V. Is it time for a RMA?

untitledyo8.png

With a 12 of 6.2v your system would not be running to take that screen cap. Is it a whine or a whistle?
 
Spectre said:
With a 12 of 6.2v your system would not be running to take that screen cap. Is it a whine or a whistle?

It's a whine like an old tv. MBM doesn't support this board yet and I don't recall being able to see voltages in the bios.
 
Try it with a multimeter.

More likely than not, it's a loose winding on a transformer.
 
Unplug the main ATX connector, wiggle the wires around a bit, check that all of the tips are to the end of the connector and re-fasten.
 
topdragon147 said:
are you guys paying for the shipping, or getting them to ship it to you first?

For Antec, you have to pay to ship it back, they check it out to be sure its defective, then they usually just send you a new retail one. You just send the power supply. As it is now, I'll have 3 sets of cables for a SmartPower 500. Whoever I sell it to will get a nice little bundle.

Never really tried arguing for a new one before I sent my old one, but you can try.
 
Back
Top