"whining" noise

winman15

n00b
Joined
Mar 30, 2004
Messages
41
I have a laptop with an ATI Rage mobility 8mb display and it makes a whining noise when screen is idle. If im scrolling a webpage it makes no noise, but when i stop, it makes that whine noise again. I believe it has to do with my refreshrate or something along those lines. Any thoughts? Any info is much appreciated. thanks.
 
im assuming this is a laptop. I have heard LCD's makes noises before. CRT's do that as well. As to why it stops when you browse who knows, it could be simply because it is moving stuff around. If I remember LCD's are fixed at 60hz anyway. You can try and change it and see what happens. But if that does do it you could very well have a borked LCD.
 
LCD produces noise? :confused: If it does, there's seriously something wrong with ur LCD, 'cause there are no moving parts to do that :eek: Anyways, I think it either ur HD defraggin in screensaver mode or CPU fan is dying. Just my $0.02
 
LCDs use an inverter to turn low voltage DC into high voltage DC. They've been known to whine. It's usually the other way around though, they mostly whine the loudest when the screen is the brightest.

Be glad you can hear it...when you get older, you won't anymore. :(
 
i have a LCD that was made 3.5 years ago and it makes no noise at all...
 
Back
Top