• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

whining noise when playing a specific game?

Stormlifter

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Messages
2,968
Alright, let the debuggers assemble.

The situation:
HAF Case, Intel i7, 4870x2 ghetto modded.

Places with no noise (so far)....
1) Windows 7
2) Battlefield Bad Company 2
3) Certain loading in Lord of the Rings Online (before the character screen)
4) FurMark
5) Lord of the Rings Online minimized
6) Lotro loading up the map while in the game

Places with noise (so far)....
1) Lord of the Rings Online, anywhere 3D models are displayed, certain loading (like the first 5 seconds, then the splash logo screens)


I'll post the results of anyone's requests on here.

Note: It really sounds like a fan, but honestly how could it be if it doesn't whine any other time? Odd. It literally starts RIGHT when I get into the game
 
Last edited:
Which monitor/resolution are you using?

What do you mean by "ghetto modding" your 4870x2? (Are you at least using the latest version of your video card drivers?)

Did you also monitor CPU and/or GPU temps while "troubleshooting" your LOTRO experience?
 
Monitor is: P235H
Ghetto modded meaning I took the plastic guard off and have two fans over the heatsinks. Yes latest drivers.

I monitored temps, nothing over 80c
 
Hrmm, see it doesn't happen on FurMark or anything but Lotro that I can tell.

I know our cards are completely different but it may be a similar issue. I've only played Bioshock 2 and Metro 2033 on this PC. It was barely noticable in Metro 2033, and no noise at all with Bioshock.

When you reduce the settings in LOTRO does it stop? Have you tried changing your fan speeds/unplugging fans to eliminate the noise?
 
Back
Top