Whine...from PSU

catmug

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 10, 2010
Messages
121
Hey guys,

I know this is fairly well documented, but I just got an ATI 5850, which uses two PCIE power plugs instead of one. Obviously, this card puts more strain on my system. I have a 520W corsair PSU that I've had for about three years, which has been completely issue free. However, in a few games, I'm getting screeching from the PSU, but only in loading and menu sequences. The games are:

- GTAIV
- Crysis
- ATI Tool (I know, not a game).

From what I've read, high FPS from the card can cause these issues. However, I need to know whether it's safe to run the system when it's squealing, or whether I should RMA the PSU. I still have a 5-year warranty on it...is it worth it?

Before anyone says "check the video card," I took off the case door, and listened. It's the PSU.

Thanks guys

catmug
 
updates:

I had a 600W Thermaltake laying around that I got as a promotional when I bought my 5850. Spent an hour cutting through all my nice neat ziptie jobs, and replacing the PSU to test. Result? It still buzzes. As far as I can tell, it's not the PSU, but rather a capacitor on the motherboard (ABIT iP-35 Pro) Directly below the PSU. I'm sorry little Corsair 520, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
 
It's most likely not a capacitor, but an inductor. In any case, you can't really do anything about it unfortunately.
 
I have the same problem with my Antec earthwatts 650. I get whine on certian parts of games (for example, intro movies). However, it seems fine else where. Should I be worried?
 
I got the same problem, on ATItools, too.
Tried 620HX, Truepower650, 250, 260 videocard
on P6T

I suspect is the MB, too.
Coz I have another build but use EVGA X58, that one no noise.
 
When I fold on my 8800GTX with an Antec TP 650W, it whines at times. Some WU's more than others. If I stop folding, it immediately goes away.

I've learned to live with it. (Don't want to spend money on a new one....)
 
Back
Top