Which XP-M?

hector48

Weaksauce
I currently have a 2400+ that is running stock except for the bus. I want to get an mobile AXP, but I don't know which one I should buy. I might upgrade my heatsink too, I currently have a Swiftech MCX462+ with a panaflo L1A. All my other case fans are the same too.

Most are getting a 2400+ M, but some getting the 2500 or 2600+ M's too. I think the 2600+ is Overkill personally, as its like buying a 3000+ XP, and OCing it to 2.35GHz and stoping, when you could have gotten a 2500+ and did the same thing for less money. My choice would be a 2400+ M though.

actually most people are saying now that the mobile 2600 is overclocking better than the mobile 2500, and it's only like $10 more.

and a few people around here have been having less than stellar luck with the 2400s, IIRC.

I have a friend who just got two mobile 2600s (one for him, one for his brother). They are both doing >2.5 ghz right now.

I agree with the 2600m's they give you the best chance of a good overclock since they are the cream of the crop. (but I'm not saying you can't get a 2400 that will do 2.7)

if you aren't willing to spend the money for a 2600+, get the 35W 2400+.

ive had two 2400+'s and neither have been able to break 2.3 stable :rolleyes:

Well I wound up buying a 2600+ mobile at excalibur. I saw good results on another forum with the stepping they were selling. I also bought a sp-97. The problem is I have my chieftec setup with only L1A panaflo's inluding the heatsink. Should I get new fans?

2400+, 2500+, 2600+ all in the mobile series all clock about the same. It's really just the luck of the draw if your processor will run faster than 2.5 ghz or not. Some 2600+ max out at 2.4 ghz, some at 2.7 on air cooling. Some 2400+ max out at 2.7 and some 2.4, its just the luck of the draw. IQYHA is the best stepping for these processors, so if you can be sure you are getting that stepping, chances are the processors overclock will work out nicely.

IQYHA is the most overclockable.

Mine is an IQYHA MPMW as well... and it overclocks fairly well, lol.

Nice, 2.88 ghz must be nice. :(. How's that 112w Peltier doing for you? What kinda clock do you get without it?

Ch1m3r4 said:
actually most people are saying now that the mobile 2600 is overclocking better than the mobile 2500, and it's only like $10 more.

and a few people around here have been having less than stellar luck with the 2400s, IIRC.
i have to agree with that... well said. amen..

i second that.

"Well I wound up buying a 2600+ mobile at excalibur. I saw good results on another forum with the stepping they were selling. I also bought a sp-97. The problem is I have my chieftec setup with only L1A panaflo's inluding the heatsink. Should I get new fans?"
Good question. how much cfm you got with the L1A? Is it noisy? A 92mm fan might be a good option if you want a lower spinning fan (less noise...)
If you want to stay the 80mm route I'd go with a thermaltake smart fan 2 - as they already come with switchable tails that allow for 100% speed, a speed control knob, or a thermal sensor. Not bad for like $8 or less - 75 cfm too at 48dba so its not too noisy...
FYI - if you have an exhaust fan in the back of the case that is very close to the cpu heatsink fan you may want to modify it by ducting it. In many situations that exhaust fan on the back of the case can lower the efficency of the cpu fan by as much as 30% and can increase noise. So make some duct work (say out of cardboard if you dont have a flashy sidewindow case) that will allow the exhaust fan to pull from above so that it does not effect the heatsink fan.
Another suggestion is use the fan you have now and see how well it cools, then decide

anchor said:
Nice, 2.88 ghz must be nice. :(. How's that 112w Peltier doing for you? What kinda clock do you get without it?

Without the pelt I can only hit 2.71 stable (semi-stable at least)

How about temperatures with / without it? What are those like, as you can see I'm thinking about buying one myself now :p

i would go with the 2600+ personally

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) M10 Processor
Co-Processor (FPU) : Built-in
Speed : 2.61GHz
Model Number : 3301 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR3779 (estimated)
Type : Mobile
Package : Socket A PGA
Multiplier : 13x
Generation : 7 (7x86)