Which X Fi should I get?

The only difference between an XtremeMusic and the XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional is the X-RAM which supposedly increases FPS in some games. The more expensive Fatal1ty version also has a 7.1 drive bay along with the X-RAM. In other words, the Fatal1ty card that is $50 more is the cheaper card PLUS the drive bay while the cheaper one is only the card. I believe that the drive bay will also allow digital out and mic in at the same time, a feature that isn't supported in the XtremeMusic since the port is shared.

However, there are only like three or four games out right now (i.e. Battlefield, Quake 4) that actually utilize the X-RAM feature, so unless you play those games and want every bit of performance boost you can get, you won't be getting a huge upgrade.
 
Pinipig523 said:
What's the red light do?

It looks cool dude!

Rhyick said:
The only difference between an XtremeMusic and the XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional is the X-RAM which supposedly increases FPS in some games. The more expensive Fatal1ty version also has a 7.1 drive bay along with the X-RAM. In other words, the Fatal1ty card that is $50 more is the cheaper card PLUS the drive bay while the cheaper one is only the card. I believe that the drive bay will also allow digital out and mic in at the same time, a feature that isn't supported in the XtremeMusic since the port is shared.

However, there are only like three or four games out right now (i.e. Battlefield, Quake 4) that actually utilize the X-RAM feature, so unless you play those games and want every bit of performance boost you can get, you won't be getting a huge upgrade.

OK thanks, I do play a couple of those games, but I wanted to use the drive bay for recording guitar and mic in stuff. I know there is a delay issue, but I will use my amp for the "live" listening, not the comp speakers. Its just 180...damn...
 
A more cost-effective solution would be getting the I/O Drive upgrade for ~$80 or find a cheap Audigy 2 Platinum on ebay and keep the drive.
 
I personally don't think that the X-Ram is worth it. I can't remember which site did this, but I remember reading a review for the X-Fi Fatal1ty a while back where they did some benchmarking between an Xtrememusic and a Fatal1ty in the "supported" games - Quake 4, UT2K4, et cetera - and found that the X-Ram made virtually no difference. But take that for what it's worth; I can't even remember which site it was.

I would just try to find someone here on the forums to sell you the I/O drive & remote at a discount. That's what I did. I bought an Xtrememusic when it came out, then got the full I/O upgrade kit - remote, front panel, and all - from some guy who didn't want his for only $40.
 
Back
Top