• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which would be better?

PredatorJ

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 5, 2006
Messages
75
I'm currently Running 2 Raptor WD740ADFD Drives in RAID0 for my system.
I just recieved a Raptor WD740GD from my pops for free and want to put it in my system.

My question is, whats the best overall layout?
I mostly game and web design etc.

Should I integrate that drive into my RAID0 array? Would it be compatible with the 2 16mb versions of the drive? Would the cache difference impede the array in any way?

Should I dump that array and go for a RAID5?

Should I dump the array and go for individual drive setup. ie. 1. Boot Drive. 2.Games and Apps. 3. Swap File and storage. ?

Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated as I've been spinning my wheels for a week trying to figure out which way to go.

Thanks
 
PredatorJ said:
Should I dump that array and go for a RAID5?
It is "generally" not recommended to run an OS from a RAID-5 array, so I would stay away from that idea, unless you will be running without a swap-file.

I would also think twice before adding a GD raptor into the same array with the ADFD version, because there appears to be quite a large performance discrepancy.
 
Ok, So it would seem that running the 3 drive layout would be the best bet.

1 for OS
2 for Games and Apps
3 for Swap file and storage

Would this setup, in daily use not benchmarks, be the best performance I can achieve with my current drives?

Thanks again.
 
Back
Top