Which would be Better suited

Shadowarez

Gawd
Hi all still a nubblet here but I'd thought I'd ask the community here as I'm thinking of changing out my Asus Apex for a Asus Sage I have sitting idle only issue is how am I to connect 15x fans as the sage has no USB internal headers so I cannot use the 2 corsair commanders in my corsair 1000D.

Or should I just stick with apex and make a build with the sage and sell it off?

apex - Intel® 9th / 8th Gen Intel® Core™, Pentium® Gold and Celeron® Processors - LGA1151
sage - Intel® Socket 2066 Core™ X-Series Processors

Two different sockets.
Anyways, feed a usb cable in from an external header to inside the box for the fans.

I have the x299 Asus Apex I'm ruining the Asus sage x299 for Bette pcie stability

I have the x299 Asus Apex I'm ruining the Asus sage x299 for Bette pcie stability
PCIE stability? what problem are you having? unless you need something in every slot? Sage WS has 3.2 2 and 3.2 1 ports, could get an adapter if you need that usb2 port.

Possible fix found this on mod DIY would this work for me. Just thinking it'll be better for gaming I'm having certain stability issues while encoding videos.

Possible fix found this on mod DIY would this work for me. Just thinking it'll be better for gaming I'm having certain stability issues while encoding videos.

i've been looking at something similar to that.
are there any internal splitters that can do 10gb/s ? i haven't found any reasonable yet.
took forever for me to decide on my board as well, was wanting a type-c 10gb port but it didn't work out that way
if i need to add a pcie card to do it i will, i have an x4 (running at x2) and some x1 slots open

To keep full USB 3 plus the USB 2 for Corsair Commander Pro but I could just use that deep cool 10 port sata powreesfan controller as I don't think having a bare pcb in case some were mounted with duel sided tape.

have you looked into any of the aquacomputer hubs they work very well

ill take a look as this new build im considering is going to be at least 8 fans and 7 are Gentle Typhoon 120's,

Why would you switch from the APEX to the Sage? I see from the specs that the latter has PLX chips. So let's go over why these things are basically bullshit. PLX chips do not actually give you more usable PCIe lanes. The CPU still has the same number of available PCIe lanes that its PCIe controller dictates. If you have a 44 lane CPU, adding PLX chips doesn't change that. If you add a PLX chip, all bandwidth is still constrained by whatever the CPU has. All you get is increased PCIe latency. About the only reason to select boards with PLX chips is that allocation of lanes to individual slots can be allocated in different ways which might make sense for very specific reasons.

In other words, if you have four PCIe x16 slots that are allocated as x16/x16/x8/x4, with a PLX chip you could allocate the lanes as x8/x8/x8/x8 or even x16/x16/x16/x16 if you have two PLX chips. The problem is that once again, your limited by the CPU's 40x PCIe lanes or whatever. So your 64 lanes will bottleneck to 40 at the processor because you can't add lanes to the CPU. Performance tests have shown time and time again that PLX chips just use up power, reduce performance, generate heat, add latency and worst of all cost a lot of money. Essentially, PLX chips end up being fancy PCIe switches that are nice to work with, but ultimately provide very little benefit and come with too many downsides. This is why they've all but been abandoned in most market segments.

Let's also be clear about something. You will not get "better PCIe stability" with the X299 Sage. That literally makes no sense as that's not how that works.

Lastly, the ASUS X299 Sage does have internal USB headers. Oddly, they are only USB 3.1 Gen 1 or Gen 2 ports. It is likely possible to adapt these to 2.0 headers so that you can use your internal connections for fan controllers and the like. You could also go with InWin daisy chain fans which would eliminate the problem. Supposedly, they go through the motherboard's 4-pin fan header and RGB connections alone. There is no USB control for those.

The only real benefits to going with the Sage, are the extra DIMM slots and extra expansion slots. If that's what your after, then go for it, but few people need that many expansion slots or that much RAM. You give up an M.2 slots and overclocking features going to the Sage.

yeah the dimm.2 are nice to have, i was thinking itd have better vrms or id possible need the sage for a 10980xe but if the apex can handle it the n really the sage will be better off in my next build for sale by the sounds of it. ty dan ill go over my oc on the current system and see were i can tweak it to more stable, when i first got this rig together she held 4.6 all core 1.15v no prob temps would hit 75-80 on load but im thinking i just need to retune the oc and possibly re-delid and repaste the cpu, as it been a few yrs,

thank you i think ill make a build outa the sage and sell it off once i can get my hands on a 10980xe then to replace my current i9 7980xe,

Back