Which wireless card for laptop and which router?

Dr_Chanesaw

Limp Gawd
hi
I want to find the cheapest wireless internet card for my toshiba laptop and the cheapest good wireless rounter. What do you recommend ? I was told to get G rather than B because G is faster.

B is really really old, practically prehistoric in computer terms...yes it's slow, up to 11 megs, realistically 3-5 or so....but if you're only online surfing...it's usually not the bottleneck

Yes G is newer, and more importantly.....easier to secure..and secures better, since it supports WPA security instead of the difficult to setup and easily cracked WEP of B wireless.

Alas...G is disappearing also, becoming yesterdays news...as Pre-N/MIMO is the new darling of the wireless world....and works FANTASTIC.

Of the home market brands, I've had the best luck with Linksys gear. Recent Belkin gear has worked well also, and DLink. I've not had such good times with Netgear and 2Wire. Microsoft is out of the market...but their stuff was really good.

I got a microsoft package deal of a microsoft router and microsoft PCMCIA card (both 802.11b) for $40 CAD. the router was good and stable but the card had super shitty drivers. I had a lot of stability problems with my netgear 802.11G router and a few but not as many troubles with my linksys WRT54G routers (yes, I have two :p viva la client-mode)

so in your situation I'd see if I can find that microsoft deal or invest in linksys as their wrt54g prices have been going a lot lower.

Peace

Back