Which water pump for my system

essasin

Limp Gawd
I have a couple diffferent ideas for my new watercooling loop and I am not sure of which setup or pump I should use. I also already have an mcp600, bix 1x120mm, and maze4 and will be cooling an e6600 rig in a mm ufo case.

1) 1 continous loop
-Storm Silver G5
-PA 120.3
-Maze 4 (I already have)
-chipset
- water pump choice: mcp 600 (I have another and would put them in a series)

Option #1 would only cost around 40 bucks for the pump and would give me the extra 100 bucks or so to buy a G5. If I am not mistaken this would give me the most amount of headflow with the least amount of heat into the loop. But with the pa 120.3 would the extra wattage matter and would I benfit from more headflow that puts out more heat? With that said my other options...

2) 1 Continous loop
-Swiftech Storm
-PA 120.3
-Maze 4 (I already have)
- water pump choice: dual D5, dual ddc+ ultra, rd20, md20

If I get any of these pumps in a series or an Iwaki I would get a Swiftech Storm instead of a silver G5. I know the silver G5 only outperforms its brothers by 2C but it would be awesome to own such a piece that is made with aerospace machinary (This is the only time I would pick novelty over function) But back to the point...would it performance/price be better if I opted for any of these pumps. I have an iwaki pump that we use for a pond and I love how they are built like tanks which is why I considered them. The rd30 is out of my price range.

3) 2 seperate loops for cpu and gpu
For CPU
-storm silver G5
-pa 120.3
- water pump choice: D5/mcp650, ddc+ ultra modified top

or

-Swiftech Storm
-pa 120.3
-water pump choice: rd 20, md 20, dual d5, dual ddc+ ultra modified top

For GPU
-maze 4 (I already have)
-single 120mm bix (I already have)
-mcp600 (I already have)

i dont think you need dual pumps.. you loop is a common loop that people use a D5 to power...

I have a BIP240, BIP120, TDX, maze4, chipsetblock, temp sensor, laing dcc

and my flow is good

Adidas4275 said:
i dont think you need dual pumps.. you loop is a common loop that people use a D5 to power...

I have a BIP240, BIP120, TDX, maze4, chipsetblock, temp sensor, laing dcc

and my flow is good

The thing I am worried about is that I will be ocing the chip and from the looks of it...it will be generating a lot of heat.

From a fault tolerance perspective, I prefer the idea of one loop with pumps in series over two separate loops. With two separate loops, you're doubling your chances of pump failure costing you $$$. With pumps in series, if one dies, odds are you'll still have sufficient cooling to limp in unharmed even if you don't notice it instantly. But then again, my box is on 24/7. If your usage pattern is just turning the system on to play games, it probably doesn't matter. You'd get used to listening for things to spin up.

My money's on serial DDC's with plexi tops (not the double top). They're easy to place in any case, and put out enough head for any system. And the plexi tops are dead sexy!

Seperate loops are for cool factor only. The water temperature will rise by about .5'c between each of your waterblocks.

Most people get along FINE with a single rad, a single pump and up to 4 blocks. The D5 will power through a storm block, 2 Koosah's in SLI, a NB block and a GTS radiator easily.

Dual lines are for the riceboy in all of us.

nonlnear said:
From a fault tolerance perspective, I prefer the idea of one loop with pumps in series over two separate loops. With two separate loops, you're doubling your chances of pump failure costing you $$$. With pumps in series, if one dies, odds are you'll still have sufficient cooling to limp in unharmed even if you don't notice it instantly. But then again, my box is on 24/7. If your usage pattern is just turning the system on to play games, it probably doesn't matter. You'd get used to listening for things to spin up.

My money's on serial DDC's with plexi tops (not the double top). They're easy to place in any case, and put out enough head for any system. And the plexi tops are dead sexy!

Sound is not too much of a concern as long as its not a constant high pitch and room is not a problem in a ufo case. The 18wats with the plexi tops really have good heaflow with very resonable wattage. But at the cost of two of these I would prob opt for an r20 eventhough it may not perform as well, I like the build quality of the pump. I am now thinking either I will get another mcp600 and run two in the loop or an iwaki r20.

nonlnear said:

dead sexy!

Back