• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

which video card to get?

Laxx

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
257
Hi, my name's Steve and I've recently been refered to this site and it's been great so far. After browsing the thread a good amount, I still have many questions unanswered. The main problem being I just bought the Dell 9100 (3.0 P4 630/1gig ram/160 HD STA150) with the 24" lcd for the deal that was going on before, but opted not to upgrade to the GeForce 6800 or the ATI Radeon 850xt since I'd much rather buy my own video card and throw it in.

My question to you guys is what video card would I need to run games in 1920x1200? I like to play most of my games at either the highest or extremely close to the maximum settings and I currently play HL2, WoW, BF (the first as I haven't had the time to start on 2) and Doom3. I know the results for BF2 and Doom 3 are goign to be pretty low at 1920x1200, but what card would you guys recommend to run these few games?

I'm hessitant to pay over $400, but if it comes down to it, I could. I've been looking at the x800xl and the 6800gt, but neither cards seem to perform great at 1600x1050 which would mean it's even worse at 1920x1200. Are the 850xt PE and 6800/7800 Ultra's my only choice if I want to game at that resolution?

Thanx for any help you can give me. And if any of you have any experience with running a sub $400 card at 1920x1200 with very high game settings, please post how it is and if it's playable/enjoyable. See you around.
 
That's the double edged sword with the 2405. I don't own the monitor but from what i've read to game at that high resolution you'll need at least 6800 Ultra or 850 XT PE. There was a recent article posted on the topic of high resolution gaming posted somewhere on this forum and it's conclusion was that the new generation of 7800 cards were made for high res gaming. 6800 and 850s were not.

So if you're looking to play at 1920 x . . . and with maximum detail, you consider saving some extra bucks for the 7800.

I found the link to the article I refer to. Here you go:

http://techreport.com/etc/2005q3/hires-gaming/index.x?pg=1
 
7800 GTs will be here soon for under $500.00.
You can get a GTX right now for $540.00 at Pricewatch.
 
steve.. wait a week or so for the 7800 gt . its msrp is 450 bucks and thats sure to come down a little as more come out.

that would be your best bet.

also ati can not do pixel shader 3.0, which isnt a super big deal but you might want to know that.

you do have pci-e slots right? or agp?
 
First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their replies.

I do have a PCI-E slot on my mobo as it's fitted with a x300se that came with the computer. It'll get replaced in the near future as I still can't use my computer. (Currently overseas and shipped to a friend's house awaiting my return.) I'm just trying to figure out what to buy so it can be shipped before I return so that my friend can install it for me when he formats the dell.

So the GeForce 7800gt is coming out before August?
 
if you are going to upgrade your video card I would also look at upgrading the PSU. I believe I saw the 9100 running a 375 watt PSU. Seeing that the 7800GTX requires a 400 watt PSU, you should try looking at PC Power & Cooling PSUs. They are by far the best PSUs on the market. They also have them made to fit Dell's.
 
Back
Top