• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which video card should I get???

Lyquist

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Messages
3,368
My friend has an old machine and he can only get a PCI video card. I've looked at the MX4000 and 9200SE from newegg. Are there any others that I need to be aware of? What would be the best for him? He doesn't want to upgrade anything else, so don't suggest that. Here are his system specs...

Athlon 700MHz
256MB PC-100 RAM
etc...

Thanks in advance for your help. Please provide a link if you find a good PCI card that I can look at.

Lyquist
 
It doesnt really matter which one of those pci cards you get because he is still going to be limited by the pci bus bandwidth and that shitty cpu
 
They would both be an excellent upgrade if he has Integrated Graphics now, what games is he trying to run? Anything that came out in the last year probably wouldn't run well even at lowest settings if they ran at all.

*Note - One of my friends computers has a slot-A 700mhz Athlon, 512megs of PC-133, and an MX4000 and it plays the original Call Of Duty perfectly at around 1024x768.
 
Here is the fastest and best PCI card.

The FX5700 LE for $90.00 including shipping in the retail box.
 
Microcenter has this online here, but I saw this card in the store for $50 bucks. If you live near one, that is hard to beat.
 
they make a 5700 in PCI and i'm pretty sure thats the most powerful non-professional PCI GPU i've ever seen. he should get a Matrox Parhelia 256MB PCI card though :p
 
I said that he doesn't want to upgrade anything except the video card.

Lyquist
 
I'd vote for the 9200SE.
Not sure which one is the best performer, but I would guess that both are pretty limited in games anyway (I wouldn't recommend going over 800x600). The 9200SE will offer better image quality and more advanced shading (which also means it can run newer games better).
 
the best video card would be gasoline.. then when you OC (maybe OC) it will burn his whole comp
 
Back
Top