Which video card for HTPC: HD5770 vs HD5670 vs GTX570

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
Ive got all three of these cards. Not really sure which I should use.

I mostly use it for watching 1080p content in Media Player Classic with GPU acceleration. I could potentially install some BS games here and there but honestly that is what my main rig is for.

What do you think?

If you want lower power consumption and temperature I would say 5670. For media it performs great, I had it on my HTPC for a while.

If you want pure performance go with the GTX 570.

You don't need much for an HTPC. Run the card that runs coolest and uses the least amount of power.

Ya, I was thinking I would throw the 5670 in there in place of the 5770 that it has now.

do you have an IGP on the rig? All those GPU's are overkill for an HTPC if you're really just planning on 1080p playback. I use the IGP on a ivy bridge celeron and it works just fine. Out of those 3 I'd put in the 5670 for the lower power usage.

It has IGP but the Intel graphics dont support GPU accelerated video rendering like the others do. Its a first gen Corei3 system.

5670 for sure. Like everyone else, those existing cards tend to be overkill for a typical HTPC setup. I am currently rocking a fanless 5450 and have no issues with 1080p media.

I would go with a 7770 card...

Did you bother to read his post? He already has 3 cards and the 7770 isn't one of them. Besides, you don't NEED a 7770 for an HTPC. HTPCs should be quiet and use minimal heat as they already are going to be space-confined (generally).

OP, I had a problem with the audio output device selection changing and disabling the hdmi output with both the Radeon 6450 and 5450 after the computer comes out of sleep mode. I did some searching and found that it's a bug with the drivers.

I couldn't find a solution besides manually changing the audio output device every time it came out of sleep, which got super irritating. So I bought a Galaxy Geforce 610 and haven't had a problem since.

Of course if you already have the video cards, you can test them out; as others suggested the lowest power card is best. I really liked the passive cooling on the certain 6450 I had, just so I wouldn't ever have to worry about the fan dying.

It has IGP but the Intel graphics dont support GPU accelerated video rendering like the others do. Its a first gen Corei3 system.

are you talking about video overlay for Blu-ray and DVD through WinDVD and TotalMedia Theater? My Clarksdale Core i3-530 with an BioStar H55 chipset board supports it just fine. You need to find the correct rendering driver.

Go here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/981683/arcsoft-totalmedia-theatre/990

Scroll down to post 1019 and hit the attachment "Arcsoft EVR-VMR Renderers from JP Trial (for Intel IGP).zip" - you may have to sign into AVS Forum to access attachments.

Then unzip the two AX files and replace the ones in c:\program files (x86)\arcsoft\totalmedia theater\codec

Then your Intel HD Graphic will support video overlay just fine. Arcsoft just sucks at coding for Intel IGP.

Back