which version of Windows Server 2012 will I need?

Draugauth

Limp Gawd
I'll have around 10-15 computers plus some media players connecting to it. server hardware isn't a problem as I have that.

Thanks in advance

PS it will be running under Windows Hyper-V Server or ESXi most likely. May have it run on the bare metal instead and use the Hyper-V Role. Not sure yet on that one.

Well I'll be running a file/media server, DHCP server, Hyper-V unless I run Hyper-V on bare metal then I won't need the role. And to also play around with the different features. I'm trying to get back into IT after being out of it for around a decade now.

D-EJ915: That would be perfect to be honest. the User limits is the problem I am seeing and if it doesn't include the Hyper-V role that is fine. I can run Hyper-V Server and run 2012 as a VM.

Ok what does Client Access License mean? I'm leaning towards the standard edition so I can play with fail over setups etc since Standard allows 2 servers per license.

Last edited:
CAL = license to access server-based resources on the server. With a CAL setup you need a CAL for each user (or device) that is accessing the server.

I say server-based resources because software that runs on the server may require additional CALs (such as SQL Server or Exchange). It gets crazy and thankfully I don't do licensing stuff lol.

Back