Which version of FFDSHOW do i download?

AY786

Limp Gawd
Which version of FFDSHOW do i download. There is like a normal one then an SSE and a SSE2

Im confused, and could someone also tell me the main purpose of this software as well in simple terms what they use it for really, thanks

FFDShow is a collection of video and audio codecs for Directshow-enabled applications (like Windows Media Player). With it you can play stuff like DivX, xVid, H.264 videos and audio formats like AC3 and Vorbis. That's pretty much it.

Oh right, it also has components that allow you to do some really neat things like postprocess videos (increase sharpness, apply better resizing algorithms, and a host of other features). I usually pair FFDShow with Media Player Classic (not WMP) and DScaler5 for my viewing pleasures.

Anyway, here's how you can determine what version to download.

Non-SSE, non-SSE2 (normal) - safest choice, should run on any relatively modern x86 processor.

SSE version - only for CPUs that have SSE support. Anything newer than a Pentium 3 (if you use Intel) or newer than an Athlon XP (if you have AMD) supports SSE.

SSE2 - only if you have a Pentium 4 or Athlon 64 or newer. (Pentium M chips, Opterons, Semprons, Celeron Ds, also support SSE2)

The SSE/SSE2 versions are just more optimized versions of the ffdShow program.

BillLeeLee said:
SSE version - only for CPUs that have SSE support. Anything newer than a Pentium 3 (if you use Intel) or newer than an Athlon XP (if you have AMD) supports SSE.
Newer Athlon XP's (at the very least T-bred's and Bartons) do have SSE support.

Alright, I have to admit I'm so very confused by the availability of FFDShow right now. I had the same question as the original poster, but this thread didn't answer my question.

Basically my puzzle is this: I go to the FFDShow Sourceforge project page and see that the last stable version is more than four years (!!!) old-- this won't do at all. I want the latest and greatest codecs, support for dual-core, all that jazz. Then I see versions on codec websites with REVision numbers and recent release dates and wonder if these are the ones I should be looking at? Then I find something on Sourceforge called "FFDShow Tryouts". Is this the same thing?!

Can someone help me out here, shed some light on the state of FFDShow for me?

Google for "ffdshow tryouts". You don't necessarily need the nightly builds just go for the latest stable.

CCCP is good since you get Haali splitter as well. However if someone is stupid enough to install the mpeg2 splitter it will screw up their mpeg2 playback if they are already using Nvidia PureVideo or PowerDVD.

CCCP is bad because you get Haali splitter as well. It's not the latest one and has trouble with h.264 ts files.

Yes I like CCCP. I just think it's a bit bad because people become dependent on the pack.

vsfilter is handy for when you need subs.

You've had no problem with Haali because you have updated Haali independently from CCCP? Or you've just had no problem with Haali at all and you've just stuck with CCCP?

If you just use CCCP and "it just works" for you... then that just means you haven't encountered any trouble with your particular use or viewing. CCCP took 5 months to update last time... 2 weeks after they updated Haali released an update for multi monitor support.

If I am installing codecs for a noob friend I will definitely recommend a codec pack like CCCP since it is completely harmless unlike Nimo and Co. Since they are noobs they won't likely have 2 monitors or worry about playing ts files.

If I want someone to learn about codecs then I will more likely point them in the right direction instead of giving them shortcuts that lead to dead ends. So ffdshow tryouts for the latest ffdshow. Haali for the latest haali. vsfilter for the latest filter, etc... It's not a big deal to get the components separately. It's not a big deal to learn how to use regsvr32 to reg and unreg ax files.

Let's all learn and not be noobs.

Back